Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD - Gibson SG Standard in Pelham Blue

So, I've been lusting after a Gibson SG for a while. I had picked up a Standard Natural Burst last year, but it just wasn't doing it for me. Probably part of that is the undisclosed repairs, smoke smell, etc.  I'm really OCD about my guitars with stuff like that. DIdn't used to be. Anyhow, I'd been eyeing the American Musical Pelham Blue limited run they have had going on in 2017 and now 2019. This was part of the 2017 run but actually made in 2018. I kept watching the "outlet" area for a "blemish" SG to pop up, and then one appeared, so I went for it. Last time I did that, I got the black SG I sold some years back, that I regretted selling ever since. I think I finally am done regretting.

This is, simply, a nice guitar, in a nice color. I really like the way the white binding goes together with the blue color and black plastic parts. Pelham blue, like candy apple red,  looks great on the open grain of mahogany. It's got the longer late 60's neck joint, 57 classic and classic + pickups, locking tuners, the usual thing. Also something Gibson is now doing is "hand-rolling" the binding, so the edge of the fretboard isn't so blocky. This also means however that the "nibs" are much less apparent.

Setup was good out of the box. Fretboard looks good. And of course for the life of me I can't find the "blem". It could just be a customer return, though honestly most new Gibson guitars aside from the custom shop level will have plenty of things that many could consider a blem. I went into this knowing that, and really had trouble finding anything really wrong with it. It plays good, sounds good, and looks good. AND IT'S BLUE. Comes with a nice brown case with a wine red interior, and some nice case candy.

So, the pictures:

BLUUUUUUUEEEEE

pelhamsg01.jpg

The grain + the sparkle makes it look double sparkly.

pelhamsg02.jpg

I do love that headstock inlay. Always have. Pay no attention to my cats humpty toy.

pelhamsg03.jpg

Hard to see "rolled" binding edges. They feel smooth.

pelhamsg04.jpg

Is this the blemish??

pelhamsg05.jpg

Maybe this bit of buffing compound?

pelhamsg06.jpg

That really is a nice color.

pelhamsg07.jpg

Case candy. The multi-tool is definitely better than any other case candy I've gotten with a new guitar. It's even got a truss rod wrench on it.

pelhamsg08.jpg

Looks nice,   That is a fantastic color,  good to see Gibson offering it on the model.    One suggestion some of the new Gibson’s I’ve recently had,   Seems like they’ve been stored for a while and the fretboards were really dry.    Maybe give it a hit of fretboard oil.        Good luck!

Beautiful guitar!  My first electric guitar was/is a '70 SG that I still have.  That's

the guitar I got started on.  In 2012 I got another SG, also from AMS, and it was sold as

a blem.  Not a mark on it.  I assumed it was returned, buyer's remorse or something.

Have a blast tearing it up on that one!

41 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Now everyone is going to want an SG like that. 

I'm wondering how AMS got them to do an exclusive run only for them. They keep making more, and I'm seeing some up for sale used. Nowhere near as many Cherry SG standards, but still enough.  It's a great color, and I think really works with the half pickguard.

I thought maybe it was a customer return, but I can't find a fingerprint on it.  I will need to get some F-One oil for the fretboard. The only downside is that it came with .009 strings, which are gonna have to go.

2 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

I know this is not for everyone but I would like the blue and green SGs with a natural/dark unpainted neck. It's just me.

You would always pick up a used one and citristrip the neck, and then oil it. I've seen plenty of people who have done that. Gibson really isn't big on the "unfinished" neck thing. The only one I remember is the Zakk Wylde signature Les Paul.

7 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

She's a real beaut, Clark.

Personally, while I love Pelham Blue, I prefer the faded variety:

PiIi5Ga.jpg

I've had folks ask for Pelham with the yellowed clear coat. I always respond with "Oh, you mean Inverness Green?" 😄

6 hours ago, Stike said:

I've had folks ask for Pelham with the yellowed clear coat. I always respond with "Oh, you mean Inverness Green?" 😄

I've often wondered how often Inverness Green guitars get sold as "yellowed Pelham Blue".  The two finishes really are quite close in color and appearance.

12 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

I know this is not for everyone but I would like the blue and green SGs with a natural/dark unpainted neck. It's just me.

10 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

You would always pick up a used one and citristrip the neck, and then oil it. I've seen plenty of people who have done that. Gibson really isn't big on the "unfinished" neck thing. The only one I remember is the Zakk Wylde signature Les Paul.

IIRC, I think the Melody Makers in the '60s, especially those with the SG body shapes, had natural necks; with body colors being a choice between Pelham Blue or Cardinal Red.

Currently they have a few epiphones in the color, and a Gibson SG Special in "faded pelham blue".

Of course, it's an automotive color that was used by more than Just Gibson. Who doesn't love a Lake Placid Blue Strat?

Very nice! I love Pelham Blue guitars. 

Rugby1970: A few years ago, Gibson put out a Jeff Tweedy signature SG that is like what you described, natural colored neck/blue body.  I'm pretty sure the neck is finished, however.  And the blue isn't quite Pelham blue, but close.   

Beautiful SG in a beautiful color! The only reason I have never had an SG is the stupid excess of heritage cherry ones out there. I like other colors and yours is the damn bomb! 

Archived