Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FS - Hamer Californian/Centaura

Apart from having the wrong body and the wrong neck, that's a nice Cali 🤣 That's not a Cali buddy...

2 hours ago, Eli said:

I think it may be a centaura with a chaparral neck.

It is. That's definitely NOT a Chap body. Sheeeesh, Tobe-  ;)

it's just easier to say it's a Chap than to explain, and I literally mean a ceaseless deluge of messages, that it is a USA Californian neck I put on a USA Centaura body. It had 27 frets. It has 24 now,  which I did on a bandsaw (I kept the fingerboard with the extra 3 frets overhanging the neck pickup rout for years until I finally decided screw it, it's not like I'm ever going to separate this neck and body because they go together so damned well. I replaced the original JB humbucker with a trem-spaced JB humbucker ("trembucker") because the mismatched string/polepieces drove me nuts. The Centaura didn't have the original single coils when I got it; for most of its life, either Hot Rails or Quarter Pounders lived in the neck and middle positions.

And people who have absolutely no interest in buying the guitar just wouldn't let it go. "a Cali neck could never go onto a Centaura body" (yes it can, it requires a specialized tool called a phillips screwdriver) "that's NOT a Centaura body that's CLEARLY a Chap Elite body" (I did the swap, I know what it is). I got fed up with the constant notifications from my phone and explaining the above over and over. So I'm calling it what people keep telling me what it is and are so intent on telling me I don't know what I have, and all the know it alls on Reverb have finally stopped blowing up my phone.

What it is, is a guitar that has about the most mojo in my rack. It's made it onto nearly every recording I've done and literally every live gig I've played in my life. But, sometimes life just doesn't go your way and you have to give up instruments you thought you never would.

and before someone asks here, because I've been asked on Reverb too many times, why did I swap necks?

I bought the '88 Cali for about $300. It just sounded like crap - the only USA Hamer I've played that I could say that about. I just had the sense that the neck and the body didn't like each other. I had a '90 Centaura that played great, but was highly focused tonally - a one-trick pony. And one night it just occurred to me to swap necks. The Centaura's neck had a very hard, full metal tone to it, and the mahogany Cali body just worked with it. It was still a one-trick pony, but the rawk mojo was enhanced, what with the Centaura's jumbo frets and rosewood fretboard that really had more of an ebony-ish tone to it. That was a crunch machine and I used it for drop-d tunings because it didn't lose clarity and was just metal to the core.

the Cali neck has pretty small fretwire on it, and the rosewood on that neck is a lot more rosewood-y. mated with the alder Centaura body, it ended up sounding like a good Strat, and the JB humbucker really came out the way a JB should sound. Very flexible tonally and it just has a lot of soul.

Absolutely no question I did the right thing 17 years ago; both guitars ended up a lot better by doing what they were more or less meant to do.

Got it, so you're saying it's a Diablo body with a base Chap neck? Why didn't you just say so?

Also, does it come with that specialized luthier phillips tool?

JK, GLWTS! Hope things start looking up for you!

Check your HFC messages.

😋😜😋

Archived