Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wilkinson wrap tail ?

hamerican gigolo

Question

5 answers to this question

I had a '96 or so Eclipse in Vintage Orange with a Wilkinson wrap. I liked it on pretty much every aspect--tonal transfer, uniformity of sound, quickness, and intonation. In fact, I was impressed at how spot-on the intonation was with just that 2-saddle slider for adjustment.

Ok, I'll be there contrarian here as I've removed this bridge from every guitar I've owned that had one.  

Firstly, the intonation adjustment is not needed.  I've managed to achieve perfect intonation with bar wrapper tailpiece bridges.  It's not difficult.  

Also I've found that the plan strings tend to shift side to side on the Wilky bridge.  Don't know why, but there it is.   

And the Wilky simply doesn't have the same sound as a plain bar wrapper tailpiece bridge.  I much prefer the latter.  

On 11/24/2018 at 10:52 AM, kizanski said:

Ok, I'll be there contrarian here as I've removed this bridge from every guitar I've owned that had one.  

Firstly, the intonation adjustment is not needed.  I've managed to achieve perfect intonation with bar wrapper tailpiece bridges.  It's not difficult.  

Also I've found that the plan strings tend to shift side to side on the Wilky bridge.  Don't know why, but there it is.   

And the Wilky simply doesn't have the same sound as a plain bar wrapper tailpiece bridge.  I much prefer the latter.  

Digging up an oldie. Did not like the Wilkie on the Special Korina Junior. I changed over to a Wilkie with adjustable B/G and D/A saddles, and still had issues with the strings shifting as per Kiz. I eventually went with the Faber compensated wraptail, which had the added benefit of a fuller sound, to my ears.

Archived