Hamer Fan Club Message Center

OLD Guitar Finish Ideas

Hbom

So I woke up the other morning and went through all the usual sites to bother and be bothered. After the morning news, and the latest at The HFC, I made it to Reverb and ran into the tooo goood to pass up deal of the day.

Now I need to figure out what to do with it. PLEASE HELP! Any and all advise and comments greatly appreciated.

I believe it's a 1982 Vector. It's been refinished and I'm not sure I'm happy with the color so may want to re-finish the re-fin.

The headstock looks good but the serial number is gone and hand written with what looks like black magic marker.

No hardware. But pots and switch are there.

Needs about everything.

Anybody recognize this?

Hamer V 1982 Custom_1 - small.jpg serial Number small.jpg

What would you do?

Doug.

2 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Depends on what you paid for it.

Probably more than I should have but it was early and I was on my 1st cup of coffee. I think I'll be OK.

1 minute ago, Steve Haynie said:

Finding a bridge is going to add a bunch to what you have in the guitar. 

Did you get a case with it? 

Understand about the bridge but I am hopeful. it does have a case and it looks to be ok.

More pics and info here;

https://reverb.com/item/16461528-hamer-v-vector-1982-custom

6 minutes ago, Hbom said:

Can you back out of the sale?
Looking at this from a pure dollars and sense POV, $490 for a guitar that's worth about $800 in great condition is pretty steep when you factor in what it needs.
You still have to add pickups, a Sustain Block, tuners, etc. That's conservatively another $400.I'm assuming you have a set of pickups in your parts drawer, like everyone else here. Otherwise, add that on too.
When you're done, you'll have a re-finished guitar with no serial number which is worth about $400.

The question of why parts were stripped comes up.  Was someone restoring another guitar?  Was someone selling off parts?  Is there a problem with the neck?  More than likely you will be fine. 

Find parts now and try out the guitar.  Play it a while and decide what you want to do.  That Vector would look cool painted in black and green with a polka dot pattern. 

If you get a refin the serial number can be restored to something more correct looking. 

1 minute ago, Steve Haynie said:

The question of why parts were stripped comes up.  Was someone restoring another guitar?  Was someone selling off parts?  Is there a problem with the neck?  More than likely you will be fine.

It was likely stripped because it was worth more in parts than as a whole - even if it played perfectly.
All the more reason to abort this mission.

I saw that one myself and thought about it, but bailed at the last minute... I wouldn't let anybody discourage you on your project, you'll never get your money back out of it but that really wasn't the point was it?.. it's all about having as much fun as you can while you're still on this Earth... these are awesome tone/playing monsters & if it were mine, I would route binding and finish it as a gold top... 😉

dzo4id1.png

Thanks Dave. You're right about everything in that statement. It's a project. Something to do. I've never owned a V. This one looked like it needed some love and affection.

Gold is being considered but I am hoping to find out what original color might have been before I make that decision. Binding....hmm.

So it looks like the consensus is that I couldadonebetta. Not surprised.

Got 2 more pictures from the seller. Shows the guitar before it changed. Looks like it was red and the owner wanted purple.

Seller says he bought it as is with plans to put it together that never developed. I don't know if he got the hardware or if he sold what he bought. Seems like a good guy, has more Hamers and has been upfront with good answers to my questions.

@Dave Scepter "Cool, You gonna keep that splitting switch?"

Too early to tell. Still looking for answers and suggestions.

Thanks Steve. I'm thinking the switch will go away. But still too early to make any definite decisions.

Maybe I'll take away the switch and put in a blue LED that blinks every time I play a Gsus.

A Sustainblock is what you want, but if you cannot find one you could always put another bridge on since you are gonna refin Anyway....just sayin’.

This will be cool to watch as it develops.

Let me know if you decide to finish/restore it - I think I still have a set of 81-82 Hamer tuners.

16 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Let me know if you decide to finish/restore it - I think I still have a set of 81-82 Hamer tuners.

Thanks Chris. PM sent

15 hours ago, Dutchman said:

How bout a ebony and maple checkered veneer

Wow! That would look awesome! But I think it's a little beyond my skill set.

Painted checkerboard has been discussed....

Archived