Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night

gorch

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will see the movie next saturday. I already heard of errors in the timeline. I admit, that I am one of those guys that gets annoyed of those wrong doings. Why? Because it is unecessary! It tells me the the people responsible for those errors haven't done their homework right, and they get away with that. I have followed the doings of the band long enough to remember many things. Where is the problem to do things right the first time?? Even as a guitar/bassplayer I know that Roger Taylor always used a Ludwig drumset, and no 90's Sonor set. Do filmmakers think they always get away with that? Well, I'll see next saturday...

On November 5, 2018 at 11:09 AM, cynic said:

Common ain't common.  @The Shark says no to children while I don't see an issue with it.  This is why the MPAA uses words like "some" and "may".

Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 1.07.49 PM.png

Thomas Sowell once noted, understandably so, that "I remember when common decency was commen." The problem isn't with a concept like 'decency'. The problem is with a popular tendency to deny it, often stemming from a philosophy of relativism.

It's interesting that recently elsewhere everyone here agreed that anyone with common sense should understand how to follow the general forum rule, "Don't be a dick," and yet now it's suggested that no one knows how to understand something as simple as common decency which, with respect to the specific issue at hand, might be cashed out as something like 'Don't be a dick by exposing kids to perverse or age innapropriate material.'

In the recent thread to which I refer, there was a member (or troll, whatever he was) that demanded that forum rules be written down if he was expected to follow them. While I had observed at the time that it's good to have written rules, I suggested then that placing rules in writing helped serve to adjudicate disputes over behavior and would protect moderators from appearing arbitrary or prejudiced. However, despite the obvious benefits of placing rules in writing, I also noted with most everyone else that knowing how not to be a dick should be a matter of common sense, or, in the parlance of this discussion, it should be a matter of common sense how to treat others with common decency. My point being that I don't understand why some understand what common decency is when it applies to objects they value (like treating others with decency in this forum), but on other objects, it's as if they believe decency is a matter of 'different strokes for different folks.'  I fail to understand the reason for the inconsistency. 

4 hours ago, FGJ said:

I fail to understand the reason for the inconsistency. 

Me too, but as noted by my previous comment (provided below), it's real

On 11/4/2018 at 5:54 PM, cynic said:

We had one group that was all groans and nasty comments anytime two men kissed, but it was both adults and their children.

8 hours ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

Even as a guitar/bassplayer I know that Roger Taylor always used a Ludwig drumset, and no 90's Sonor set. Do filmmakers think they always get away with that?

Outrageous. I am outraged. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, specialk said:

Just saw it. Yeah, lots of inconsistencies. But so what! There were a dozen different ways they could've covered the subject/made the movie, but it was pretty damn well done.

I'd recommend it.

Yep, as a movie it is great, but as documentary it really sucks. For the perfectionists they were this sucks too and I wonder they had approved the movie. However, for the way Freddy kept dealing with failures, common, it was just another movie. So, it‘s got to be taken with common decency, right?

I saw it last Friday.

I don´t care about Freddys sexual preferences :-) For me he was a great artist and performer!  (My very first album was "news of the world " in 1977)

The the thing I realy regret : I had never take the chance to see them on stage.. 

I watched the Fact vs. Fiction video above. I probably will not see this movie, not because I don't think I'd like it, but because I don't much care for going to movies in a movie theater. Hey, I didn't ask to be 62. It just happened!

Also, I recently watched this on PBS:

https://www.pbs.org/video/queen-rock-world-preview-ltazxb/

This is a pretty cool documentary of Queen in 1977, although it too appears to be somewhat sanitized. After watching this PBS documentary, I'm certain I won't be able to suspend disbelief for Malek as Mercury. In one of the first clips of Malek as Mercury in the above Fact vs. Fiction video, where he's wearing longer hair, he looks a lot more like Mick Jagger than Freddy Mercury.

1 hour ago, BruceM said:

I'm certain I won't be able to suspend disbelief for Malek as Mercury

His performance is as passible as one could be given Mercury's familiarity.  I think most would think Taylor and Deacon were spot on portrayals, with Brian May being somewhere in between.  Essentially a reverse correlation to the amount of media attention they received while alive.

I saw the movie last week and absolutely loved it. I was never a big Queen fan...but man, this movie may change that. Freddie was Freddie...mega-flamboyance ....the rest of the band were portrayed as pretty average dudes. Very likeable. 

Freddies relationship with Mary was fascinating as was his dedication to the craft early on. I loved the studio sequences. I’d like to thing Brian and Roger made sure that was close to being right....

20 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I saw the movie last week and absolutely loved it. I was never a big Queen fan...but man, this movie may change that. Freddie was Freddie...mega-flamboyance ....the rest of the band were portrayed as pretty average dudes. Very likeable. 

Freddies relationship with Mary was fascinating as was his dedication to the craft early on. I loved the studio sequences. I’d like to thing Brian and Roger made sure that was close to being right....

There was a three-part VHS released years ago called "Queen: The Magic Years".  That had some video footage of them working in the studio.  Fascinating to watch.

Queen is my preferred band ever and Brian May my main guitar hero, so I did like the movie quite a bit, in spite of all the historical deviations. Frankly, I cannot care less about them. I was entertained, and that’s what I mostly care about when consuming any form of art.

In this case, Rami Malek did an excellent job in giving human depth to Freddie’s character. And the music, well... it’s freaking Queen! Meaning it’s as grandiose, pompous, powerful and tasteful as it can get... and it’s still rock’n’roll. That’s unbeatable!

By the way, as a side effect of the movie, youngsters are listening to Queen now and realizing what a huge turd is everything they’re consuming as “music” nowadays. And just for that, I cannot be but very enthusiastic about it —I have a daughter who is 18 y/o... and she has friends... and they come to my place sometimes and do listen to their “music”, you know? 😉

Anytime a book gets adapted into a movie someone will complain about a detail.  The same is true for bio-pics.  The movie maker has to come up with something to entertain a movie audience.  That is why some superheroes get "modifications" to their costumes, or multiple people/characters get combined into one. 

If someone leaves the theater feeling entertained, or better yet-- a bigger Queen fan, the movie has done its job. 

9 hours ago, atomicwash said:

Great movie! Bummer about the inconsistencies - I'm pretty sure I saw a fawn handwired AC30.

At least Brian's guitar was right!

The Deacy amp could be spotted too. Historically, the Deacy is more important than the Vox IMO. I‘m tempted to watch the movie twice actually.

My daughter just got back from an art commission in Boise and we're going after the Panther game.

Love Queen... aside from the lasting music, probably my strongest memory is the rash of shit I caught from my 'friends' for buying Queen II album at eleven then SHA a year later. Didn't sit well with the Deep Purple/Aerosmith crowd. They called it fag rock....'why are you buying that shit?!'  So, fuck  'em. Never played guitar or associated with them ever again.

I'm glad history has been kind to them...I caught hell the day Jazz came out. I was as excited as the day physical graffiti released. The story sort of repeated itself into the punk/New wave era. Same shit, different day.

Bottom line; I think I can be ambivalent towards certain anachronisms.

50 minutes ago, Rockola said:

Love Queen... aside from the lasting music, probably my strongest memory is the rash of shit I caught from my 'friends' for buying Queen II album at eleven then SHA a year later. Didn't sit well with the Deep Purple/Aerosmith crowd. They called it fag rock....'why are you buying that shit?!'  So, fuck  'em. Never played guitar or associated with them ever again.

Reading you, I realize Queen brought together people from many different backgrounds. Rockers, metalheads, pop fans, disco dancers, prog-rock nerds, guitar geeks... and no matter their sexual orientation or their race or even their political allegiance, a bond around Queen was always possible!

Of course, there are those minorities who need a totally “macho” approach to what they listen to. But, in general, the Queen crowd is as diverse and as inclusive as it can get.

Maybe that’s also why they transcend. 

1 hour ago, Rockola said:

Didn't sit well with the Deep Purple/Aerosmith crowd. They called it fag rock....'why are you buying that shit?!' 

Yeah... Can't you just feel the testosterone pouring out to the camera lens?

R-278_Aerosmith_EarlyGroupShot1973_Gruen

9 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Yeah... Can't you just feel the testosterone pouring out to the camera lens?

R-278_Aerosmith_EarlyGroupShot1973_Gruen

If I recall the story correctly, it was drugs pouring out to the camera lens.

Archived