Hamer Fan Club Message Center

First post: tell me all about the USA Special P90

Bigben55

Long time player, never owned a Hamer. I remember always liking them back in the 1990s, played a bunch in music stores back then. I'm considering buying a used Hamer Special in TV Yellow with 2 P90s. There's 2 I'm looking at, both 1993s. Tell me about the necks(thin, thick, shape?), those Seymour Duncan P90s(are they super noisy?) as I wont br able to play either before buying. Thx

iThat is the exact model that got me hooked on Hamer ( to the point I ended up working for them).  What’s not to love?

single slab of REAL Honduran mahogany (I saw the change)

Mostly slimmer necks that were hand carved by 4 different guys and could easily vary from pencil thin to beefy.

Top shelf hardware and setup

pickups are the only real negatives I consistently hear about and those are usually already (or easily) swapped for personal preference.

$800 list when they hit the market.  For reference Ex+ condition les Paul’s were selling 8n the $500 range at the time in my area.

I mostly play G&Ls. Have a Legacy and a ASAT Classic, love em both, have a dedicated amp and pedal board for each. I KNOW I'm just not a humbucker guy, and know I'm not a Gibson guy. I'm looking for a "hot" enough guitar that I can plug straight in to a Dr Z Z28 and ride the guitar volume between clean and crunch. The strat/tele just dont have the umphh to really push it. I like P90s, but dont think they sound "right " unless with a mahogany set neck guitar. 

I dont like the chunky Gibson Junior/Special necks, or the wraparound bridges. And prefer 2 vol knobs on Gibson style guitars. That's why I'm thinking Hamer Special. What's a good price range for a decent one? 

Thx. The ones I'm looking at are both in the @$850 range. I'll buy the one with the least fretwear.

I can replace pickups myself no problem. How noisy are the Duncans? A little harsh ain't bad; I want it to snarl a bit! But super buzzy might be the reason to upgrade to noiseless Fralins.

I have 2 93 models and neither have a super skinny neck. Pretty much the same as my 79 Les Paul. They where born P90 guitars but I’ve converted them to minibucker and humbucker pup’s since I’ve got  all the P90 goodness I need with P90 Korina Artist. They are flat out awesome guitars. They compete side by side build and tone wise to a custom shop gibby special. And that ain’t no shit!!

5AF8B15C-8BD6-4101-851A-0F9D162E46BF.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

I have 2 93 models and neither have a super skinny neck. Pretty much the same as my 79 Les Paul. They where born P90 guitars but I’ve converted them to minibucker and humbucker pup’s since I’ve got  all the P90 goodness I need with P90 Korina Artist. They are flat out awesome guitars. They compete side by side build and tone wise to a custom shop gibby special. And that ain’t no shit!!

5AF8B15C-8BD6-4101-851A-0F9D162E46BF.jpeg

Those look great!  What pickups are in the red one?

23 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Those look great!  What pickups are in the red one?

Pete Biltoft custom minibuckers.  Never heard a minibucker like them. They can be sweet and chimey or just knarly bad!! All in the volume control. 

This P90 Special was my introduction to Hamer USA.  In 20-20 hindsight, I should've kept it.  Sale was motivated by divorce.  The one and only Hamer I bought new.  Rarely, if ever do you see a white one for sale.

Hamer Special.jpg

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger. Maybe as soon as tomorrow. I've bought and sold a bunch of guitars over the last 30 years and feel I know what to look for. Are there any "Hamer specific" things I need to look closely at?

It's a 25 you guitar. So is my #1 G&L Legacy. I'm expecting some fretwear. Do Hamer frets wear about the same as others, or more/less? Medium jumbo fretwire on the Specials? I've played darn near fretless old Gibsons(I hate that!)

The stock pickups on the P90 specials are  Seymour Duncan HOT P90 in the neck, and a Custom P90 in the bridge.  The Custom is the highest output P90 they make, and it's got some serious snarl. So, if you want to play Mississippi Queen all day, they will work great. They are true P90s, so they will have single coil hum.

I have two P90 specials: a 93 in Candy Apple red with the stock pickups, and a 96 in Cherry red with Fralins. Both are incredible guitars.

The only thing that many either love or hate about the 93 guitars is that some have some pretty thin necks, especially the P90 specials. They are top quality guitars, but if you don't like the neck on a 93, you can always look for a 95 or 96 with a beefier neck.

1 hour ago, Bigben55 said:

Are there any "Hamer specific" things I need to look closely at?

Hameritis.  The finish separates from the edges of the fretboard on some 90s Hamers.  It is usually something you can see but not feel.  It is cured with super thin super glue.  However, just leave it alone if you see it. 

The one I'm looking at most has had its nut shimmed. I assume that means the nut was removed, a thin piece of something glued in the nut slot and then the nut reglued in on top of it. Is this "bad"? I know a new nut isn't too pricey, but still. Dont wanna buy a new to me guitar and then have it in the shop for a week, ya know? Please advise...

It was my wish guitar as I was working my way through child support.  I drooled for 5-6 years.  First chance I got c1998 was a TV Yellow which was avocado green.  Then I got a cherry.  Didn't like the pickups. Then another Yellow (again green).  And another Cherry.    None stayed around,  I stopped looking  Ab out five years ago,  I got a Gibson Pete Townshend 40th with alnico P90s ffom Wildwood.   Bingo.  I now have several Talladegas and Talladega Pros and  a Mirage II. A Reverend with P90s with a Bigsby.   I would like to get the right Hamer p90 Special but the flip hassle would not be worth it.  Next up would be a Newport with Phat Cats or a Monaco 3.  I wish you the best of luck.  

9 hours ago, Bigben55 said:

The one I'm looking at most has had its nut shimmed. I assume that means the nut was removed, a thin piece of something glued in the nut slot and then the nut reglued in on top of it. Is this "bad"? I know a new nut isn't too pricey, but still. Dont wanna buy a new to me guitar and then have it in the shop for a week, ya know? Please advise...

It should not be bad if the shim is of good material.

Play the guitar as is. You can put a new nut on it later if you want. Like you said, cutting a new nut for the guitar is fast work for a good tech. It won't change the guitars value, it's ordinary maintenance. Save the old nut in the case. 

Archived