Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Prototype, no serial # on headstock.

outtahear

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

More info please?

An Ovation Sales Rep had somehow gotten his hands on a Hamer factory "finish-prototype", and he was selling it on Reverb around the time the CT factory was closed - it had a stamped S/N, a working truss-rod, factory frets, and that's it.  The guitar had a MOUNTAIN of clearcoat on it, some clear on the fretboard, milled cavities, no logo, and zero hardware or electrical components.  The condition of the wood was perfect under that protective 'jacket', but it was hard to tell what was underneath.  I could tell it was a Mirage II from the cavity cut-outs for humbuckers and a floating trem....I bought it, and put it in the corner for awhile until I got the 'get-up' to have it built-out recently.  A luthier here in MA had Ryan Welcome on his staff, and Jol's old buffing machine in his shop, so I told him what I had and started buying parts.....

Bob, don't you have a couple of Hamers (T51 and a special?) from Frank U that aren't stamped with a serial number? These were used for the catalog shoot?   I have the Mirage I from the catalog that he sold me and it  doesn't have a stamped serial number.  Technically it "didn't leave the factory" but they are legit USA made Hamers.

Peter

I have the second set of prototypes of the Daytona and T51 from Bill Kaman.  Frank U had the first.  They both have serial numbers but the numbers don’t follow the typical numbering system.  The serial numbers are the actual “born on “ dates of the neck.   Totally legitimate Hamers that were listed in the serial number book. 

2 hours ago, HamStd said:

Bob, don't you have a couple of Hamers (T51 and a special?) from Frank U that aren't stamped with a serial number? These were used for the catalog shoot?   I have the Mirage I from the catalog that he sold me and it  doesn't have a stamped serial number.  Technically it "didn't leave the factory" but they are legit USA made Hamers.

Peter

Thanks Bob,  it is interesting.  I have the catalog Mirage I and it doesn't have a stamped serial number.   Frank U told me there wasn't time, they needed one like "now" for the shoot.  Maybe he was just giving me a Rick Nielsen type explanation.    I'll snap a pic tonight.  Otherwise, I have the only import Mirage I out there-don't know where I should be proud or angry !!!😀

1 hour ago, mirrorimij said:

Peter, 

If Frank said it I can’t see why it wouldn’t be true.  

My T51 prototype lacks any side dots on the neck because the tooling wasn’t complete.

It happens.  Never say never with Hamer.  

Can't get to my mirage I,  but I'll get pics to share.

I do have this one which is sort of interesting-ever seen a 19 fret 4 digit standard?

19 fret 4 digit.jpeg

5 hours ago, HamStd said:

Can't get to my mirage I,  but I'll get pics to share.

I do have this one which is sort of interesting-ever seen a 19 fret 4 digit standard?

19 fret 4 digit.jpeg

Talk about burying the lead...

"Can't get to my mirage I..."

Translation: "There are too many cases that I don't have access to my inventory program which tells me which wing of the mansion the guitar is stored."

Picture the last scene of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

Talk about burying the lead...

"Can't get to my mirage I..."

Translation: "There are too many cases that I don't have access to my inventory program which tells me which wing of the mansion the guitar is stored."

Picture the last scene of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

• 2 weeks later...

Guess anything's possible, but seems odd that:

-Color's spot on, lacquer's at least 20 yrs. old

-Rout's period correct, as are the pots (marked HAMER), cap and switch, logo

-Hardware's correct

-Case's original and period correct (Got's some serious mojo to boot).

-rather nice Honduran Mahogany as well

So, either it's a genuine Hamer w/a serial number anomaly, or someone (with some serious skills) spent some time

and $$$$ forging something he could have purchased for about $400/mint 20 years ago.

Either way, for $600 it's a great guitar (plays as nice as Gibson's custom shop or Zemaitis' custom shop).

Archived