Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
outtahear

Prototype, no serial # on headstock.

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, outtahear said:

Can that be done??

Anything can be done when it comes to CMatthes!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, outtahear said:

Can that be done??

Many things are possible when you're a Matthes. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tomteriffic said:

Many things are possible when you're a Matthes. ;)

 

That's what she said!!

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 3:57 PM, Never2Late said:

The prototype I was sold had a stamped serial number.  It was a 'finish' prototype of the Mirage II.  I just had it build-out, I should post it....

More info please?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

More info please?

An Ovation Sales Rep had somehow gotten his hands on a Hamer factory "finish-prototype", and he was selling it on Reverb around the time the CT factory was closed - it had a stamped S/N, a working truss-rod, factory frets, and that's it.  The guitar had a MOUNTAIN of clearcoat on it, some clear on the fretboard, milled cavities, no logo, and zero hardware or electrical components.  The condition of the wood was perfect under that protective 'jacket', but it was hard to tell what was underneath.  I could tell it was a Mirage II from the cavity cut-outs for humbuckers and a floating trem....I bought it, and put it in the corner for awhile until I got the 'get-up' to have it built-out recently.  A luthier here in MA had Ryan Welcome on his staff, and Jol's old buffing machine in his shop, so I told him what I had and started buying parts.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob, don't you have a couple of Hamers (T51 and a special?) from Frank U that aren't stamped with a serial number? These were used for the catalog shoot?   I have the Mirage I from the catalog that he sold me and it  doesn't have a stamped serial number.  Technically it "didn't leave the factory" but they are legit USA made Hamers.

 

Peter

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the second set of prototypes of the Daytona and T51 from Bill Kaman.  Frank U had the first.  They both have serial numbers but the numbers don’t follow the typical numbering system.  The serial numbers are the actual “born on “ dates of the neck.   Totally legitimate Hamers that were listed in the serial number book. 

2 hours ago, HamStd said:

Bob, don't you have a couple of Hamers (T51 and a special?) from Frank U that aren't stamped with a serial number? These were used for the catalog shoot?   I have the Mirage I from the catalog that he sold me and it  doesn't have a stamped serial number.  Technically it "didn't leave the factory" but they are legit USA made Hamers.

 

Peter

 

Edited by mirrorimij
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Bob,  it is interesting.  I have the catalog Mirage I and it doesn't have a stamped serial number.   Frank U told me there wasn't time, they needed one like "now" for the shoot.  Maybe he was just giving me a Rick Nielsen type explanation.    I'll snap a pic tonight.  Otherwise, I have the only import Mirage I out there-don't know where I should be proud or angry !!!😀

Edited by HamStd
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HamStd said:

Frank U told me there wasn't time, they needed one like "now" for the shoot. 

So, was the back of the guitar sprayed and buffed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter, 

If Frank said it I can’t see why it wouldn’t be true.  

My T51 prototype lacks any side dots on the neck because the tooling wasn’t complete.

It happens.  Never say never with Hamer.  

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mirrorimij said:

Peter, 

If Frank said it I can’t see why it wouldn’t be true.  

My T51 prototype lacks any side dots on the neck because the tooling wasn’t complete.

It happens.  Never say never with Hamer.  

 

Can't get to my mirage I,  but I'll get pics to share.

I do have this one which is sort of interesting-ever seen a 19 fret 4 digit standard?

 

19 fret 4 digit.jpeg

Edited by HamStd
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, HamStd said:

-ever seen a 19 fret 4 digit standard?

 

19 fret 4 digit.jpeg

No!  And please don’t ever show me one again! 🤣

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HamStd said:

Can't get to my mirage I,  but I'll get pics to share.

I do have this one which is sort of interesting-ever seen a 19 fret 4 digit standard?

 

19 fret 4 digit.jpeg

Talk about burying the lead...

"Can't get to my mirage I..."

Translation: "There are too many cases that I don't have access to my inventory program which tells me which wing of the mansion the guitar is stored."

Picture the last scene of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7D7D0382-1916-4E25-941B-DB32550531C8.jpeg

Edited by DBraz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kizanski said:

Talk about burying the lead...

"Can't get to my mirage I..."

Translation: "There are too many cases that I don't have access to my inventory program which tells me which wing of the mansion the guitar is stored."

Picture the last scene of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 1:21 AM, HamStd said:

19 fret 4 digit.jpeg

why.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×