Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New “NEW” Hamer Day

cmatthes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, you ordered the double-neck. It was assembled, fretted and ready for paint/electronics/hardware. Hamer shut down. How did it get completed? Who did the final assembly? Did the dealer adjust the price accordingly?

43 minutes ago, anotherfreak said:

wow!

that is beautiful, made my day to see it. Very proper end to an age of awesome guitars. Seriously, you got them to do a sparkle finish!

Weeeellllllll, not exactly.😄

13 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Nah - I wish.  When things shut down, some was picked over by FMIC, but most was trashed, dumpstered or destroyed.

That's too bad.  However if Uncle Dick #2 was in your closet you'd have to finish it yourself because if you took it to someone to get finished you'd never see it again.

I know nothing about how Hamer's closing went down, but I would think they would have called Rick and said, We can't finish your guitar but you can come pickup what we have so far?  I know if that custom was being built for me I would have paid for what was done.

I don't wish any harm to Rick.  When he does pass away I'm wondering if a finished version of Uncle Dick #2 will resurface on an auction sale.

2 hours ago, anotherfreak said:

wow!

that is beautiful, made my day to see it. Very proper end to an age of awesome guitars. Seriously, you got them to do a sparkle finish!

Actually, it was supposed to be done in a "Dargie Green" finish originally, but Stike blew my mind with the "SURPRISE!" killer multiflake.  Seriously...this looks 10x more impressive in person!

The “Green Monster” got gigged with my son’s band on its first night home...played by Kwesi “The Green Monster” Lee:

On 11/5/2018 at 9:01 PM, topekatj said:

giphy.gif

That’s my daily gym actually. Where did you get it from?

Fantastic guitar Chris! Perfectly blinks in a Stike manner.

I shudder at the thought of incomplete guitars being trashed. Why wouldn't Fender allow any started projects to be completed and simply ask Hamer not to take any new orders? 

In any case, is the double-neck only used for songs that require both necks? Or do you play some songs only using one of the necks?

There were lots of complete guitars from the warehouse that were trashed too - I don’t think there were any completed Hamers that suffered the same fate as some USA Guilds, USA Ovations and USA Fender Acoustics...

If it is cheaper to destroy something and take the write off, that’s how it was done - FMIC is a big corporation, and sentimentality, common sense and charity aren’t part of the equation.  Before anybody chimes in lamenting the lack of a “fire sale” or charitable donations to an inner city music program, we’ve already been told multiple times that the effort and paperwork wouldn’t justify the net return.

3 hours ago, FGJ said:

In any case, is the double-neck only used for songs that require both necks? Or do you play some songs only using one of the necks?

Do you really need to ask? It's both necks ALL THE TIME. More is more.

46 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

There were lots of complete guitars from the warehouse that were trashed too - I don’t think there were any completed Hamers that suffered the same fate as some USA Guilds, USA Ovations and USA Fender Acoustics...

If it is cheaper to destroy something and take the write off, that’s how it was done - FMIC is a big corporation, and sentimentality, common sense and charity aren’t part of the equation.  Before anybody chimes in lamenting the lack of a “fire sale” or charitable donations to an inner city music program, we’ve already been told multiple times that the effort and paperwork wouldn’t justify the net return.

I bet you wish you could have been in on the competitive bidding to dispose of those guitars!  I certainly would have provided "Haynie's Guitar Diposal Service" cheap!

They were locking the dumpsters at night, but I'm sure some stuff got out.  There were a lot of partially completed (and fully completed) guitars that got bandsawed or worse, stomped through on the back loading dock.  I think there was a run of red, limited-edition Tom Petty models that got trashed - not sure how many, but the description from two people I know who were there to witness some of the clean up operation was that it was like "The Purge".

Serial had this one out for the opening stack of songs from our first set the other night - at the Waterside Norfolk:

26BB972F-1B80-4C48-BFB7-B188837BC817.jpeg

5B70CEA2-C5F6-4C2E-A7F2-0A0BA199716D.jpeg

A custom stand for a doubleneck is not too much to expect.  Years ago the decision to buy a Peterson strobe tuner was based on the value of my guitars and how many were in my possession.  While you cannot play a stand, the cost of a correct stand goes along with having such a cool guitar. 

Archived