Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Today 36 years ago I went to my first rock concert. What was yours?

Disturber

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1976 Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ted Nugent, and Nazereth.  Festie at RFK in DC.  Was there to see Aerosmith, the headliner, but just LS blew them away. 

Had never heard of Nugent, just remember some madman guitarist running around and jumping off monitors, kit riser, etc.

I won't win any prizes cause my memory is bad about those days. But I went to The Grande Ball Room in Detroit pretty regular from '66 to'68. Saw lot's of good acts. Janus, The Doors. Nugent and the Dukes played there a lot.

But B4 there were concerts we went to The Roller Rink! The Beach Boys, Reviaras, Jan & Dean, The Ventures, The Kingsman. All of them played the Hamiliton Lake Skating Rink during those early years. Just a few hundred kids banging there hips together.

Good times. Sometimes I wish I could remember them better. :)

https://rockandroll.si.edu/photocontest/detail/rock-roll/led-zeppelin-day-on-the-green-oakland-ca-july-23-1977/

I'm not sure if this is the absolute first concert I went to but one of the first ... I went to many "Days on the Green" And of course the goal was to get as drunk and high as possible ... it's all kind of a blur   :)

whoops, I went to this also which was a couple of weeks sooner .... I dont want to sound too awesome but it could be that Lynyrd Skynyrd was my first concert  ... July was a great month  Oakland 77!

Funny thing is , it seems like I have been reminiscing more than usual these days. Found a Simon and Garfunkel CD in the bargain bin the other day ,had to buy it. Fond memories. Enjoyed it even though I lean towards classic Metal.

Don’t exactly remember the year or the date but it was somewhere between 76-77 seeing Santana in Mobile Alabama 

I’ll look at my ticket stubs.

Saw Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash in a show in Welch, OK, back around '78...they did it as a favor to Bill Patch, a local businessman and the guy who built Johnny  the 'One Piece At A Time' Cadillac.  I heard that typing the car title at the County Tag Agency took awhile, because of all the years that car was made up of.

After that, Bad Company, then later Peter Frampton at the old Tulsa Civic Center, around '78.

The show that I wished I'd gone to was the Sex Pistols at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa, I think that was in '77 or '78, on their one and only US tour.   Just for the mayhem.

Dibs on second place in the "non-parented" old fart title: Cream at Chastain Park in Atlanta, 17 OCT 68. Terry Reid Group opening. Hitchhiked from Tuscaloosa, part of the way in an Alabama State Trooper car. Have posted the Polaroid "Swinger" photo taken there on this forum before.

Throwing my hat in the ring for Old Fart championship.  First one was Grand Funk Railroad with none other than Freddie King opening.  Hara Arena, Dayton, Oh.

I think my first real concert was 1970 and it was Three Dog Night at Gustavus College in St Peter Minnesota I was in 6th grade. I did go to the old Met Stadium for the Beatles concert in 1965 but that was just to keep my Mom & Dad company in the car as we waited for my older sisters who actually went to the concert.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/motley-crue/1990/tingley-coliseum-albuquerque-nm-63db7a13.html

Missed my 'chance' to see Priest on the Defenders tour in '84 at the same venue ( 3 hrs drive each way and NO way my folks would let me go on a school night,lol.)

A friend had won tickets to the Crue show and invited me.  Same drive and out of school.  Liar Ford opened.  Great show. Loud.  Very rowdy.  (Mick Mars stopped in the middle of the audience artillery barrage during his guitar solo and shouted "You fuckers want me to keep playing ?!"  Undaunted by the response, he still answered, "Well then, quit throwin' shit!!!")

Tommy Lee's drum solo ( extending out over the crowd and back,) was better received and none of the shoes sailing up at him connected.  :)

I took my son when he was 13 to his first concert, to see Iron Maiden with Ghost opening a few years back.  We rode the train down into Dallas with him wearing his Maiden shirt and he got so pumped at each stop, seeing a bigger crowd each time already decked out in their shirts.  Great show.

8 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

We have a winner!

8 hours ago, LefThanDed said:

Summer 1967: Parents took my 6yo self to see Monkees and Jimi Hendrix in Greensboro, NC.

I know, right? Those Monkees were something else back in the day!!

Tangent: That Ramones pic that Pablo posted reminds me how much Johnny Ramone resembled both Fred "Sonic" Smith and Dennis "Machine Gun" Thompson when Smith's and Thompson's hair looked like Johnny's...although Smith and Thompson came first, of course. Not quite a potential 'Separated At Birth?' but close.

What's more, Ramone and Smith were known for playing Mosrites (albeit different models)/

Comparison invited:

Mc5publicity.jpg

I've always had a weakness for the early Jefferson Airplane.   So I saw the Jefferson Starship in 1978 at the Hampton Coliseum, in Hampton VA, after moving nearby from the sticks in Maine a few months earlier. 

Tickets with $13 each, which was a fortune to me at the time.  Charlotte, the young woman with whom I was infatuated at the time canceled the day of the show, so I ended up giving the second ticket to my next-door-neighbor.  

Not the same thing at all.  

It was a lame band in almost any way I look at it now.  But, Marty Balin, Paul Kantner, and Grace Slick were still in the band, and they did play a few Airplane songs, so I was reasonably happy.   

Archived