Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Today 36 years ago I went to my first rock concert. What was yours?

Disturber

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First concert was in 1977, KISS on the Alive II tour...  Saw them again in '79 on the Dynasty tour, and saw my first outdoor show in 1980 in Boulder where REO Speedwagon opened for Cheap Trick (Sammy Hagar, Blackfoot, and the Bill Bruford Band were also on the bill that day).  April Wine was supposed to open the show but their drummer broke his arm the night before...

1 minute ago, RobB said:

Holy schlitzenburgers!

Wow, it appears I melded two different concerts in my mind. It was Uriah Heep at that show not Thin Lizzy. I was talking to my brother about it this summer where he told me I wrong and I didn't believe him. Just googled it and sure enough.  

BTW: It didn't suck from what I remember. It was 76' and I was thirteen. Between the generous people sharing their herbs in line and the cloud of smoke that enveloped the entire place it's all a bit hazy.  

2 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Tangent: That Ramones pic that Pablo posted reminds me how much Johnny Ramone resembled both Fred "Sonic" Smith and Dennis "Machine Gun" Thompson when Smith's and Thompson's hair looked like Johnny's...although Smith and Thompson came first, of course. Not quite a potential 'Separated At Birth?' but close.

What's more, Ramone and Smith were known for playing Mosrites (albeit different models)/

Comparison invited

Yeah, but Johnny did it better. 

His hair was beautiful.  

September 1976, Tempe AZ - Aerosmith 'ROCKS' Tour with Skynyrd, Beck w/Jan Hammer promoting 'WIRED', & Rick Derringer opening.

Skynyrd was a no-show, Beck was amazing, and Derringer's opening rocked... Aerosmith was a sloppy dope-sick mess, but I didn't care...  😎

It was either Iron Butterfly or Steppenwolf!  Saw them both close to each other and I can't remember the order!

Not sure of the year either, but I think it must be 1969 because I'm pretty sure it was the 'original'

Iron Butterfly lineup...

Top that, wheezers!

32 minutes ago, SSII x 2 said:

It was either Iron Butterfly or Steppenwolf!  Saw them both close to each other and I can't remember the order!

Not sure of the year either, but I think it must be 1969 because I'm pretty sure it was the 'original'

Iron Butterfly lineup...

Top that, wheezers!

I was born in '69. So I'm out of the game.

3 hours ago, Disturber said:

I was born in '69. So I'm out of the game.

Me too, but I can clearly remember me and a buddy (also born '69) telling our school friends in 1977 that we were at Woodstock when we were young children and had mini-bikes to ride around the fields...... We were both born September '69..... (after the festival). But I like how the mini-bikes really sold and doubled down on the lie. In 1977 Mini-bikes were the currency of cool and for suburban Canadian kids almost "un-obtanium"...

Probably Feb. 1967, my brother and I saw The Blues Magoos at a stop on their publicity tour.

The_Blues_Magoos_1967.jpg

I have no idea how extensive their tour was or wasn't, but they were appearing for free in the home & garden section of a large department store in Cincinnati, a few blocks from where we lived.

They had a hit called We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet, which, whenever it came on the radio, my brother and I stopped what we were doing and listened to the song the whole way through. Every time. It was my first exposure to an actual Top 40 rock act. The home and garden section was packed. My brother and I stayed for the first set, heard a live performance of "We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet," and headed home.

In 1978 I went to the only rock concert ever held at Cincinnati's now-defunct Riverfront Stadium, where I saw Eddie Money, Steve Miller band, and The Eagles with Joe Walsh. That was a good concert.

MARCH 21, 1968 Cream- Beloit College Field House: My two friends and I had learned the previous month that they were going to be there, so we pooled our paper route money together to get three tickets. On the day of the concert and after our sixth-grade class let out, we ran down to the field house to find (at 4:30 in the afternoon and without a soul in the unlocked building), two sets of Marshall stacks- which we had neither seen nor heard of before, GB’s double bass drum kit, JB’s Gibson EB bass and of course- The SG with The Fool's artwork on it- connected via a coiled cable to a wah-wah and on back to the pair of the Marshalls.

Sitting on the floor in front of where we knew that Clapton would be that evening- (the stage was perhaps two feet higher than the basketball court), we just stared at all this gear- meticulously memorizing each detail (that would subsequently be recalled though our ADD-fueled doodling to be sketched out in our lesson notebooks for the remainder of the school year's math and science lessons) never thinking that we could have actually played with the stuff for nearly 60 minutes before anyone else showed up in the building.

The eventual full house waited several hours beyond the scheduled show time, as musicians didn't arrive until about 10:00 p.m. (and about the time that my Dad probably pulled up at the curb outside expecting to pick us up). But from then on, the three of 
sat at Clapton's (who for that evening and to this soon-to-be 12 year old- was God) feet while we received a first-handed and front-row schooling in High Powered British Style Blues-fed Rock, as we watched him produce these life-changing sounds through that SG, a set of Marshall stacks and wah-wah, through which he so skillfully worked the "middle tones."

Oh yeah, and after waiting outside for over two hours, my ole man was really pissed...

12 hours ago, Dasein said:

Me too, but I can clearly remember me and a buddy (also born '69) telling our school friends in 1977 that we were at Woodstock when we were young children and had mini-bikes to ride around the fields...... We were both born September '69..... (after the festival). But I like how the mini-bikes really sold and doubled down on the lie. In 1977 Mini-bikes were the currency of cool and for suburban Canadian kids almost "un-obtanium"...

My old mentor in the music biz, unfortunately he passed away in 2002, was from Isle of White. He used to tease me that he'd seen Hendrix, The Beatles, early Stones, Zeppelin etc etc. All the good bands in the UK in the late 60's and early 70's. Wish I'd been there with him. I miss that old SOB, we had so much fun. RIP.

Archived