Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Today 36 years ago I went to my first rock concert. What was yours?

Disturber

12 hours ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

Did not go on horseback to see my first concert. Took a boat. Think it was the Mayflower. 

We didn't need a boat, there was some land bridge around at the time...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/8/2018 at 7:24 PM, django49 said:

I missed the initial Zeppelin tour, but did get a chance to play the same guitar Jimmy Page borrowed from a local store (ES-335) to use on stage when they played in Portland. (They may have actually been booked as the "New Yardbirds"). Shoulda bought the damn thing, but did not have the $250 (!!!) asking price.....

There's a reason you didn't have the $250 (in 1968?): it's equivalent to $1,830.15 today, though today they're more like $3K. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

There's a reason you didn't have the $250 (in 1968?): it's equivalent to $1,830.15 today, though today they're more like $3K. 

It is all relative....Like NOT having a rich uncle in 1968 to stake me.

FWIW, round about 1981, a "guitar historian" in Los Angeles (I think his name was Robb Lawrence) offered me an original blonde dot neck for $1,000. It might have been from the first year. (IIRC, he also had John McLaughlin's original tricked out doubleneck guitar hanging on the wall for an equally crazy price). Me: "Who'd pay a grand for an old guitar?"

Sounds like a lot. Still, if I had the chance to pick up that same original dot neck (sunburst, let alone the blonde one) for $1830, or even $3k TODAY, I reckon I'd scrounge up the bucks somewhere. 😉

The first "solo" outing at a big hall was Foghat opening for Blue Oyster Cult during the 1981 "Fire of Unknown Origin" Tour as a freshman in high school.  The actual first show, was when my dad sneaked Serial and me into a local bar a couple of years before to catch his favorite band - the Ventures.  Because we were kids, the club manager made a deal that we had to sit on the side of the stage with the band's guitars and not drink...we didn't mind that one bit!

On 11/8/2018 at 9:25 AM, Stike said:

I'm 48 and y'all are making me feel like a kid. 😄

Screenshot_20181108-091234~2.png

I actually just came across my 3/4 sleeve tour shirt (in immaculate condition 34 years later too!) from the Spectrum/Philly stop when they filmed the "Panama" video...and it fits my son perfectly.

The Rolling Stones in 1970 - basically the Get Yer Ya Yas Out-set. Was 13 then. Jagger threw carnations into the crowd. Got one and stuck it to my wall for about a year - teenagers...

Archived