Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Thinking of recording It's Love by King's X...

Dasein

Did this quick proof of concept workup to see if there was anything there -- I think I might need to do two things: thicker string gauge for the drop tuning, and maybe even drop the tuning a whole step beyond so it's in drop C or C#... the Chorus is a little out of my range to sing.... here's a quick sample of me playing around with it yesterday to see if I had any affinity for laying it down and if the arrangement would yield up easily... I think I might do this.

King's X, one of my all-time favs! Ty Tabor comes up with such unique guitar parts. Sounds good!

Cool very good.   One of my favorite Kings X songs...I agree great idea and there defintely is something there.

Best wishes,

Hamerica

Thanks guys — got a bunch of originals in process.... trying to tighten up vocal passes and harmonies for those - this little quick interlude is an exercise in harmonization for me — plus I just love the song but I’m hoping it helps me develop some of my own harmony chops. This is a super fun song to play - particularly when you’ve got that rhythm down - the syncopation is so cool I just get so excited listening to it....

I’ve been writing and playing in drop D a lot and had my guitar in hand when the song came on - have not played this since 1992 - it came back pretty quick.  I’m definitely going to do it, but I’m really going to work on the vocals and make the production as clean and silky as I can.

Thanks for listening and the encouragement.

Thanks @tommy p

I decided to go all out on this, so in order to get the chorus in my vocal range I bought a set of 11-56 strings and am going to de-tune to Dropped C like KIng's X do today -- but I made the mistake of stringing the Hamer Cali (instead of my Fender) so I'm going to have to setup the Floyd from scratch again and let it acclimatize to the new equilibrium point -- I hate that! I just hope I wont have to mess with the neck. This will delay the completion of this but has allowed me more time to dig a bit deeper on the arrangement.

The Solo: Ty has such a signature musicality to his solos -- this one is deceptively easy (but actually quite hard). There's little micro tonal bends, and bend release picking and slides - all kinds of subtle goodness. You want to really nail those inflections because they open up a whole new vocabulary to the guitar so I'm going to spend my time while the guitar sorts itself out to learn this.

Thanks @Bass Guy Dave

After doing some reading and knowing I was at the top of my singing range with this song, I decided to do what King's X does and tune down from drop D to drop C.  That meant restringing the Hamer Cali with some big ass thick strings and going through the whole Floyd setup and acclimatization with a new set of 11-56. I can't tell you what a pain in the ass that was. It took me 72 hours to get it to hold pitch and I was seriously regretting it. I also dropped the BPM to 88 from 90.

The good news is that It makes it much easier to sing - but transcribing the harmonies and the parts is now much harder.  It's also much harder to play the Hamer now - and I'm not sure what I'll do when I come to the guitar solos... these strings are seriously thick..... I should have gone 10-52....

Here's a quick sample so you can hear the difference Drop C makes - it's certainly easier for my vocals.

I think this will take me the better part of a month or two  to get down proper with solos etc... I've really got to work on the drums as well - they are not great at this point.... basically I'm just building the template with scratch tracks - and tweaking things as I go to figure out how I'll tackle this proper.  That includes experimenting with amps and models and various signal chains ITB to see how things sound.

I wont post any more samples here until I'm finished but I wanted to lay this Drop C on you. It's heavy. Thanks again everyone.

Archived