Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gwennett GA Guitar Center FAIL.

bubs_42

11 hours ago, hamerhead said:

One idea might be to have the item shipped from the selling GC to the GC closest to you. Sure, it's a hassle to get out of your jammies to go check it out, but if it's AFU it's their problem, not yours.

Still, there's no excuse for the shit packing job. A blind chimp could have done better.

This is the best course for dealing with GC, makes it super easy to reject, cancel, and refund. But only makes sense if you have decent access to a GC. 

8 minutes ago, DaveH said:

This is the best course for dealing with GC, makes it super easy to reject, cancel, and refund. But only makes sense if you have decent access to a GC. 

Has anyone ever had any issue with returning items delivered to their home?  My experience is that GC is generally pretty easy to deal with when things go bad, even with items delivered to a residence.  Having things delivered to the store may provide a feel good, but has anyone had an experience where it would have made a difference in the outcome?

24 minutes ago, cynic said:

Has anyone ever had any issue with returning items delivered to their home?  My experience is that GC is generally pretty easy to deal with when things go bad, even with items delivered to a residence.  Having things delivered to the store may provide a feel good, but has anyone had an experience where it would have made a difference in the outcome?

I have no issues with returns like this. I just want to make sure I cover all my bases so I get back 100% of my money or I get compensated for the poor packing job. Once again, they have not been much help. I'll give it one more shot tomorrow, then I'll return the amp. I'd rather keep it, but i'm not getting anywhere. 

On 11/9/2018 at 4:10 PM, bubs_42 said:

Well funny you should ask, they didn't send me a power cable. LOL!!! Every single person who answers that phone has been really polite, I have been really polite. Even after waiting 20 minutes on hold, hanging up and calling back. The next guy was polite and I was polite, he said "I'll get you a manager no problem they are not busy at the moment". 3 Minutes later, "Something has come up with the manager that is here and he is unavailable and the other manager is out to lunch." So he took my number and name and I'll wait for the call. The older I get the less of dick I can be, but that also leads me to getting screwed sometimes. 

Better man than me.  The opposite here with my curmudgeony self and I'm working really hard to ONLY  pull the ass-card  dead last in situations that warrant it.

GLWYR

Just now, Boomerang~Junkie said:

Better man than me.  The opposite here with my curmudgeony self and I'm working really hard to ONLY  pull the ass-card  dead last in situations that warrant it.

GLWYR

I reserve the right to be a dick once someone has been a dick to me. I'm sure someone is just avoiding me to avoid a confrontation in hopes I go away. 

22 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

I reserve the right to be a dick once someone has been a dick to me. I'm sure someone is just avoiding me to avoid a confrontation in hopes I go away. 

Once you have been given the assurance in a sale as to whatever it is that you are going to buy is what you are going to get as sent and you agree to purchase it.........................that IS what you get no excuses. If it goes south then the seller has to OWN it and make it right for the customer.Its not a perfect world and things DO happen but then you run INTO the problem and  resolve it to the satisfaction of the customer who paid for what you sold him.Why would you buy from someone who would do otherwise?

Just dont Think the average person is capable of properly packing an unwieldy 80-100 lb package for the ups system.  I very  rarely ship amps. Don’t need the hassle.      Gc not great at problem resolution but they will refund plus shipping without too much trouble.    Might be easier to do that and be done with it

2 hours ago, DaveL said:

Just dont Think the average person is capable of properly packing an unwieldy 80-100 lb package for the ups system.  I very  rarely ship amps. Don’t need the hassle.      Gc not great at problem resolution but they will refund plus shipping without too much trouble.    Might be easier to do that and be done with it

This is most likely what is going to happen, but at this point I want to make direct contact with a manager of that store. I ship amps (LOL), you have to protect them. Shipping get in trouble by not protecting them to try to fit them in a smaller box to save on shipping. That just ='s a headache in the end. 

Just a note, the thread intent was more about the poor packing job and not so much about the service. Although as the days go buy, I would not deal with this same store again for anything. I have had my fair share of good dealings with GC's across the country and they always take care of my returns and I have rarely had issues. This past 3 weeks have been a pain, first the Tech 21 was beat up during shipping and I had to return, then I purchased a used boost pedal which arrived with a bad LED, then this shipping fiasco. Sometimes things happen, I just try to give the same patience I would hope someone gives me when things just don't go right.  

I received a call from GC last night and we had nice conversation. The email I sent through the store site made it to it the manager and it struck a blow about customer service. We talked about price adjustments, returns, shipping, he covered everything and answered all my questions and listened to my grievances. It did take longer that expected, but the end result was what I was looking for. Recognition of a sub standard job, push to serve the customer, with no excuses. We had a nice exchange, civility is not dead. 

UGH. I would wager that it took so long to ship because 1) no one wanted to pack it 2) they didn't have the right box or 3) they are just lazy.

See, they could have just said "look we don't have the right box to ship this mother effer yet." Instead they gave you excuses. Where I work. I've had to tell customers that "we're busy making sure it survives", because shipping a somewhat delicate 5 foot long musket worth 20 grand needs certain allowances to make sure it doesn't break.

I can say that the Marshall TSL122 I got from Dave's guitars was packed very well. Survived just great. Now if only I had picked something/anything else to buy.

Not only do I try to protect every face, but I also try to use corner protection. If you have ever dropped a heavy box, it never lands on its side face down, it usually lands on a corner. To a combo amp that could lead to a tweaked cabinet that will never be straight again. 

Shipping amps is a pain in the ass. It took me an hour to pack a Mesa combo for shipment and I have a shipping department at my disposal. GC not going to spend the time or have the right materials on hand at all times.  They have to ship ASAP because as far as the customer is concerned, the clock is ticking and we expect that thing on our doorstep in mere days.  If you choose to buy used from GC or a private seller you've already taken on quite a bit of risk.  Then UPS/Fedex has to deliver it without mucking it up further.  That's why I buy amps locally or meet people halfway. Glad GC took care of you.

Yeah, and combos especially are a pain, unless you have a box designed specifically for that combo.

Back when Carvin still made more than just random audio gear and overpriced preamp pedals, they were pretty good with shipping amps, as any company that is mostly mail order has to be. They used to use styrofoam corners, but eventually the expanding foam in the bag stuff was their packing of choice. I don't know how expensive the machines are, but I think the labor time saved would definitely help.

A lot of stores won't even ship things like big combos anymore, because it's just too much of a risk. Heads and cabinets are much more shipping friendly.

On certain items we use this expanding foam in a bag called instapak quick.  You can create corner or end pieces pretty quickly within the shipping carton. The item needs to be in a heavy plastic bag just in case the foam gets out of it's bag. 

Archived