Hamer Fan Club Message Center

B3 Vintage Show a Bust

diablo175

Every year I've attended these, since early 2000's, I've been of the opinion that these shows have been steadily decreasing in their wow factor. This one was no exception and perhaps the most dis-interesting due to complete lack of Hamers. Not a single one in the whole f-ing place. I saw a couple of moderately interesting items like a new Satchel Sig Charvel and an overpriced EVH 5150 replica. Otherwise, it was the usual rows and rows of vintage Gibbys and Fenders and the buyers and sellers shuffling around. <yawn>

Guitar shows certainly aren't the candy stores that they were in the 80s and 90s.  I used to go to a bunch of them, but they have become almost pointless in this century.

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

So we have to wait until everyone starts selling off their stuff, or the kids start liquidating the estates. 

I think that's been happening for awhile.  Anybody remember The Great Recession?  It's like what cmatthes is saying...especially with the Internet being what it is nowadays, why bother with physically showing up at a guitar show with gear to sell, or shopping to buy at a guitar show for gear nowadays?  I know I don't, I haven't been to one in over twenty years, and I have no urge to go to one anytime soon.  It's just another layer of middlemen to avoid.

The Orlando Vintage Guitar Show is just the same stuff and same dealers.  I go to see old friends and get a really killer cheese-steak and fries at the concession trailer outside the show.  Thorn comes with his friends.  A few guys from the Gear Page are also there.  I buy politically incorrect tee-shirts for the most part.  I would love to attend Arlington or Dallas just one more time.  But I just don't...

There is also a vintage guitar show every year in my hometown (Oldenburg, Germany), but there is also always the same people and the same stuff. Old Gibson, Fender, Guild, several old german brands, a few Charvel. Most stuff is quite expensive, some stuff is quite modfied. Amps are mostly old Mashall, Fender and Vox, mostly guitar amps. I attended about 3times, but I am not interested anymore. I don't have the money for that. I haven't seen any Hamer guitars as I guess they won't show up there because they don't fetch vintage guitar prices (I mean the 80's ones, not the 4 digits or the custom stuff). Generally, there are no "metal" type guitars either, I wouldn't see an early BC Rich, Spector NS2, Kramer, ESP (German Custom Shop editions), Valley Arts, Steinberger, 80's Schecter, 80's Guild there either, as most of the people there seem to still live in their 60's mind and are only interested in stuff that fetches good money. 

9 hours ago, crunchee said:

I think that's been happening for awhile.  Anybody remember The Great Recession?  It's like what cmatthes is saying...especially with the Internet being what it is nowadays, why bother with physically showing up at a guitar show with gear to sell, or shopping to buy at a guitar show for gear nowadays?  I know I don't, I haven't been to one in over twenty years, and I have no urge to go to one anytime soon.  It's just another layer of middlemen to avoid.

The ONLY advantage to going to one is: in the event that you are in the market for a particular guitar, you can actually try it out.

Agreed....................a buddy of mine and I make the trek up to the Egan Civic Center here in Minnesota to the "Musicians Trade Fair" which used to be pretty decent............................. now not so much. Best guitar I saw there was several years back a dealer had a old worn late 50s Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cut in TV Yellow,Very cool guitar.................. the owner took it out of the alligator case and plugged in into a Marshall amp and that guitar just howled....................it sold within 10 minutes! I have picked up some great vintage books and parts but nothing along the lines of a guitar or amp for a long time now.

Archived