Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wayne Charvel's Home and Shop destroyed in CA Fire

Eli

Hey everyone,

I don't know if you already know, but Wayne Charvel's home and shop have burned.  He and his family are alive and OK.

There's a go fund me link on this page, even a little makes a difference:

https://www.gofundme.com/wayne-guitars-wayne-charvel-shop

There would be no super strat in the same way without Wayne.

My sister was right in the middle of the Woolsy fires and was evacuated with her disabled husband and two dogs for several days.  Her house is OK while entire neighborhoods on all sides around her burned.  It was a tense few days.  I hope Wayne and his family (the important things) are OK.

11 minutes ago, cynic said:

Was he not insured?  I mean, I feel bad for the guy, but a gofundme?  Am I the dick?

You could be right AND be a dick.  These are not mutually-exclusive.

2 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Insurance never covers everything of course, but such occasions are why you should have an emergency fund, you know, in the event of an emergency. 

I get that but I think his idea of an emergency was probably a water heater, a bandsaw and a pin router all go belly up the same week - not everything he owns burns up in a fire.  :-(

1 hour ago, HAMERMAN said:

I get that but I think his idea of an emergency was probably a water heater, a bandsaw and a pin router all go belly up the same week - not everything he owns burns up in a fire.  :-(

That's not realistic living somewhere known for fires, mudslides and earthquakes.   It would be similar to living in Miami and complaining about hurricanes.   

4 hours ago, cynic said:

Was he not insured?  I mean, I feel bad for the guy, but a gofundme?  Am I the dick?

Not a dick question. Just an inquiry that is wise and to be expected. And prudent. I thought the same thing.

That doesn’t make you a dick at all. A thousand other things might and could....but just not this :)

My cousin's home and all of his belongings were burned in a giant mountain fire about ten years ago here in SoCal. The insurance company pretty much built him a new home and paid for anything and everything he claimed he owned, and he didn't need to provide any proof of what was in the home for them to cover it. I would imagine most fire insurance covers the building and its belongings.

Still, that doesn't mean displaced people don't require temporary help.

5 hours ago, cynic said:

You made me think of this: 🤣

Dick.GIF

This fire sucks (all do)... Seems to be more people dying in this one than most. In 1982 I lost everything but the clothes on my back and my guitar and amp that my girlfriend ran back in to save. Bless her heart, but not a good move. She could have lost everything and I would have had to live with it. My heart goes out to all those who have been affected.

Oh man!!!! That really sucks!!!  Those pictures are sad.

The problem is that insurance takes a while to kick in, and of course you can bet with this many homes they are going to do whatever they can do to avoid paying for the damages.  So much history, up in smoke. Dang. You can bet he had a lot of irreplaceable guitars and parts.

And really, the fact is, we don't know their entire situation.  In reality, few people have an emergency fund they could use to rebuild their house and business as well as replace all their belongings while waiting for the insurance company.    

In other GoFundMe news:

https://www.gofundme.com/help-greg-quotfritzquot-hinz-recovery

"On Monday, November 12th, Greg "Fritz" Hinz suffered serious injuries after a fall from his roof while installing shingles."

He should have started a GFM campaign to gather the funds to hire a roofer.

Archived