Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Joe Perry’s new single “Quake”!

Jakeboy

Ok...this is really good. It would fit perfectly on Sweetzerland Manifesto. Very cool riffage and what sets it apart is the spacey bridge that for some reason reminds me of the Doors ...Cherone nails it too, though it does sound like it was written for Tyler.

No big solo. Manifesto was like that on most songs too. Few big monumental solos...more short little windows to highlight with fills. Why? Maybe he thinks that is the way to get hot guitar songs on the radio???? The Struts Primadonna song is like that too. No real solo, just lots of badass guitar rhythm and riffing.

I dig his tone on this song...not readily identifiable...no oh that is a tube screamer into a BF Fender or that is a Rat into a JCM. Just cool grungy rock and roll about the one topic that defines RNR and will never get old.

What do y’all think?

Really? While I grant you it isn’t Let the Music Do the Talking or I’ve Got the  Rock and Rolls Again, our hero is now 68 and I feel he is not holding on to the past, but trying to keep creating something new....

20 hours ago, RobB said:

Yes, “really.” You asked, “what do y’all think?” I answered.

Sorry if it wasn’t what you wanted to hear. 

I didn’t mean a sarcastic fanboy “really”. Rob.  I meant a genuine “really” cause I wasn’t sure if you were being serious. It’s all good as I wanted to know what you all think. 

‘I am in the minority for sure on this one. Or all fucking alone lol.

I hate all music videos unless they are concert shots...I never got MTV telling me how I should interpret the song. I was weird like that in the 80s. Just show me the band cookin’ onstage.. and don’t even rattle my cage about “concept videos.’

So I don’t dig the video either and Cherone does sound like He’s trying be sound like Tyler. I bet this song was an Aerosmith no-go or one JP wrote for Tyler to sing.

Beth Hart would have killed it indeed. I still dig it. The bridge is just cool. I like the non-generic guitar tone too. 

Simple lyrics for sure, but if Otis Redding was singing those simple lyrics no one would care, IMO ;)

I wonder why Perry skipped a more serious solo, though. He kept it funky and coulda came out of that bridge rippin’, but he didn’t. Just wondering if he thinks that is more relevant nowadays when trying to get radio or streaming time?

In fact, the more I listen to it the more I am seriously liking it.

I know nothing about Cherone other than the ill-fated. VHIII debacle. Has his voice always had the faint similarity to Tyler’s or is it just this song?

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I hate all music videos unless they are concert shots...I never got MTV telling me how I should interpret the song. I was weird like that in the 80s. Just show me the band cookin’ onstage.. and don’t even rattle my cage about “concept videos.’

Mark...Billy Squier wishes he'd had YOUR input in 1983-84 instead of the video director who did "Rock Me Tonight".

It might fit on Sweetzerland Manifesto just fine, but that's an album I listened to once and never went back to.  Same fate for this probably.  Like pretty much anything past Permanent Vacation, it just makes me want to pull out some old Aerosmith and walk around muttering "what happened?" like the old man I am.

9 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Mark...Billy Squier wishes he'd had YOUR input in 1983-84 instead of the video director who did "Rock Me Tonight".

He surely does.....lol....in fact, he wishes ANYONE would have said “Dude, this is a really bad idea. Don’t do it.”

1 hour ago, tommy p said:

It might fit on Sweetzerland Manifesto just fine, but that's an album I listened to once and never went back to.  Same fate for this probably.  Like pretty much anything past Permanent Vacation, it just makes me want to pull out some old Aerosmith and walk around muttering "what happened?" like the old man I am.

I am a HUGE ‘smith fan up through Pump...I even love Mirrors and Rock in a Hard Place. They lost me after Pump but gained me back with Honkin’ on Bobo, a most excellent blues-rock affair that is reminiscent of their 70s output. 

So I do follow Perry & Whitford in their side gigs. Manifesto was meh  at first listen, but it has grown on me over time. I love his Strat ready to explode on HaberDasher Blues. The guitar tones are raw on the album but there is more synth and it is not overly slick like on Have Guitar, Will Travel.

I am trying to figure out what he is doing & why as it seems his two boys are having major input into the albums now. I am just glad to hear some guitar on a current single.

15 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

In fact, the more I listen to it the more I am seriously liking it.

I know nothing about Cherone other than the ill-fated. VHIII debacle. Has his voice always had the faint similarity to Tyler’s or is it just this song?

Oh -- it was Cherone? That explains it. Dude belongs in a second tier off-Broadway revival of Jesus Christ Superstar...

41 minutes ago, Dasein said:

Oh -- it was Cherone? That explains it. Dude belongs in a second tier off-Broadway revival of Jesus Christ Superstar...

...or the touring version of "Foreigner".

Wow.  I'd forgotten how much Gary Cherone DIDN'T fit in with Van Halen.  :D

That is the first Extreme song I have ever heard. I am of course familiar with Nuno’s playing rep but I never listened to anything until now. Cherone did fit in with  this band. Very well. 

gtrdaddy -- outside of Funk, Words, & Hearted I'd say this band has not aged well. There were always issues with them -- they were a "not quite" kind of band. Slick -- super slick -- but lacking a whole lot of substance. I think that they were a confused mishmash of stylings and lacking any clear vision or cohesion as a band that their fan base could get behind. The fact that Ray Daniels was their manager hurt them too.... he just didn't have the leadership to serve them and they faltered.

This band should have gone inter-stellar after more than words but grunge killed them off too as did the lack of identity and cohesion I spoke about earlier.

Archived