Hamer Fan Club Message Center

K.K. Downing Auction

BTMN

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I may keep my ol‘ vinyl. It‘s all on there. Actually stopped buying with Screaming for Vengeance. The 70s were the best anyway.

I got into Judas Priest with “Painkiller”, quite late, like many kids of my generation did. My band also covered the song “Dreamer Deceiver” —I could hit those notes when I was a teenager. 😎

I never was a big fan of KK Downing though. Glenn Tipton always was way more interesting as a player to me than KK. I actually called KK “the Kerry King of Judas Priest” —as the KK of Slayer was a chaotic soloist as well.

It’s sad however seeing him getting rejected by his own baby. It’s also sad seeing him auctioning his gear. But well, at least he has left a mark on the history of rock. Hope he’ll get a lot of money from all his stuff. And I also want to buy his book now —let’s see where I can find it.

6 hours ago, scottcald said:

Give me what made the tones on everything from British Steel to Turbo.  Each album a little different, but all great tones.  

Ken (K.K.) Downing/Judas Priest: A guitar pedal board,
1970s/80s,
comprising: MXR Phase 100, MXR Graphic Equalizer, a Cry Baby Super, Schaller Wha-Wha, an echo switch and very early Rangemaster treble boost replica and control box, in wooden case with removable lid, 26in x 16in x 6in (66cm x 40.6cm x 15.2cm)

Footnotes

• Provenance:
    The property of Ken Downing.

This was used from the late 70s until the early 80s, for albums and tours, including 'Stained Class', 'Killing Machine', 'British Steel' and 'Point Of Entry'.

10 hours ago, gorch said:

Well, I may keep my ol‘ vinyl. It‘s all on there. Actually stopped buying with Screaming for Vengeance. The 70s were the best anyway.

Ya might wanna give Painkiller a spin!..

The drumming alone is worth the price of admission!

I saw this pop up today and my jaw hit the floor. To own that Hamer or the original V.....OMG. The only thing that could possibly be better would be to own one of Glenn’s guitars. I may bid on the Hamer anyway. I’ll have to unload 2-4 guitars if I score it. But I will regret it if I don’t. Too bad the Gibson V is $15k... :(

5 hours ago, BubbaVO said:
Ken (K.K.) Downing/Judas Priest: A guitar pedal board,
1970s/80s,
comprising: MXR Phase 100, MXR Graphic Equalizer, a Cry Baby Super, Schaller Wha-Wha, an echo switch and very early Rangemaster treble boost replica and control box, in wooden case with removable lid, 26in x 16in x 6in (66cm x 40.6cm x 15.2cm)

Footnotes

• Provenance:
    The property of Ken Downing.

This was used from the late 70s until the early 80s, for albums and tours, including 'Stained Class', 'Killing Machine', 'British Steel' and 'Point Of Entry'.

The early Priest albums, with the Rangemaster into a JMP have their best guitar tones. So raw. So mean.

9 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Absolutely!  Scott Travis joined the band in such a way that he made himself an important part of the band's sound from that point forward.

It's very sad to see KK Downing, someone who I admired in metal music from one of my favorite bands, take a kick in the teeth over his financial investment in his country club/golf course failed to the point where it would force him to sell his estate/song rights/book royalties/personal music gear that created all of the great music that I listened to & seen in concert, be taken away by the auctioneers to relinquish his debts. I'm sure someone out there will be fortunate to buy his gear collection. I wish that he didn't invest in the country club/golf course, lived simply with his wealth/royalties, and not be forced into selling his estate. No one deserves to go out that way in the end of their careers and into retirement. 

Guitar George

23 minutes ago, Hamer95USA said:

It's very sad to see KK Downing, someone who I admired in metal music from one of my favorite bands, take a kick in the teeth over his financial investment in his country club/golf course failed to the point where it would force him to sell his estate/song rights/book royalties/personal music gear that created all of the great music that I listened to & seen in concert, be taken away by the auctioneers to relinquish his debts. I'm sure someone out there will be fortunate to buy his gear collection. I wish that he didn't invest in the country club/golf course, lived simply with his wealth/royalties, and not be forced into selling his estate. No one deserves to go out that way in the end of their careers and into retirement. 

Guitar George

Did he sink all his money into this?  Wouldn't the corporation take these losses?  Why is he personally out so much because of this?

5 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Did he sink all his money into this?  Wouldn't the corporation take these losses?  Why is he personally out so much because of this?

Yes, he invested heavily into a mansion, turned it into a country club/golf course with his business partners, the venture wasn't successful, and his business partners wanted out. He repaid his business partners, the debtors came after him and he took a major financial loss, forcing to sell the estate/publishing/music & book royalties/music gear & memorabilia auction. There are some details of the estate sale online that you will have to look up for yourself. 

Guitar George

3 hours ago, Hamer95USA said:

Yes, he invested heavily into a mansion, turned it into a country club/golf course with his business partners, the venture wasn't successful, and his business partners wanted out. He repaid his business partners, the debtors came after him and he took a major financial loss, forcing to sell the estate/publishing/music & book royalties/music gear & memorabilia auction. There are some details of the estate sale online that you will have to look up for yourself. 

Guitar George

Seems like he's taking it in stride...

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8476155/judas-priest-kk-downing-book

Hopefully I'm getting the book for Christmas.  Has anyone read it?  I wonder if he makes any mention of a past history of bad money management.  I've read lots of other rock bios and autobios where the subject readily admits they were bad with money and would have much more security now if they had been smarter or gotten some help/good advice when they were younger.

On 11/27/2018 at 10:56 PM, Dave Scepter said:

Unfortunately, you mean the drum machine.

Archived