Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2018 Special Jr ?

VoxBucko

2 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

The recent Indonesian guitars have been very nice. 

The American made Specials from the 90s are absolutely significantly better.  You will have better wood, electronics, hardware, and most of all you will feel the difference. 

That's good to know. For $600 I am sure it is a great guitar!

I have not been a fan of any of the new “Hamers”.  They’re Hamers in name only in my opinion, and given the choice, I’d go with a REAL USA Hamer any day.

Hold one of each and you will instantly see, feel, and hear the difference. Not trying to be snobbish, I don’t mean it that way.  It is night and day.

I haven't actually played a Hamer IND,  but my PRS SE is made in IND.  It's a nice playing guitar.  If you're looking to just have a knock around guitar at a bottom feeder price (I just picked up a b stock Chinese made Recording King ooo size with a torrified wood top which punches above its weight class) then used imports certainly can scratch that itch.

But I haven't run across very many sub $1,000 import guitars that stack up to the standards of the Hamer USA guitars.  If you care about book matched tops, pretty grain, meticulously applied bindings and gorgeous finishes, then a Hamer USA may be more your thing. If you care that the guitar was crafted by masters who built guitars better than Gibson did, a Hamer USA may be more your thing.  

There is a feel to these guitars that hooked me.  Oddly enough I'm not a fan of the Jr inspired double cut style at all.  But the boys in Arlington Heights made great instruments and that's how I ended up with a Hamer.   Years later I stumbled upon this place and my wallet hasn't been the same.  

Not surprisingly,  the next step in the evolution has been to Shishkov guitars.  My Ultimate is simply the finest instrument I've ever laid hands on.  I've got an order in the queue and I'm saving up for another.

I need to get another Shish going. My Ultimate is the finest guitar I’ve  ever played too....

BubbaVO is spot-on....Hamers just FEEL different. They really do. My Shish simply ups that damn ante.

Archived