Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who play's pick less?

Carl.B

Just wondering who might play without using a pick Ala Jeff Beck style?

In August after getting back from vacation and putting things away in the attic of the garage I managed to take about a 8ft fall onto my old green metal Coleman cooler. Right arm fully extended out trying to brace my fall my hand hit the top edge of the cooler and then with full body weight onto the concrete floor. I broke or fractured 3 fingers and my wrist plus messed up a few tendons just for good measure. Good new's splints and and cast are gone and I can use 2 hands to type! The bad I can't hold a pick for the life of me, my index and middle finger have no sensation in them and probably never will. By the way the cooler doesn't even look like it even got scratch on it!

Looking for any tips or tricks to maybe speed up my progress.

Thanks

Carl B

Me. I drop them a lot:) I have nerve damage in my shoulder that makes it difficult. I have a squeeze ball (hacky sak) that I play with and that seems to help sometimes.

Super Glue a pick to your fingers. Or try a thumb pick ala Johnny Winter.

When watching TV I go pick-free. It changes your approach some, but that's part of the exercise. I still can't fingerpick for shit.

You're pretty lucky - that's a nasty fall! Good luck!

Sorry to hear that Carl, as bad as your injury sounds it COULD have been MUCH worse..................that IS a long drop down! Hope you heal up quick and perhaps with time you may even regain some feeling in those fingers, don't give up.......................I'm no Dr. but they do say nerves do regenerate/repair themselves over time,I hope that is the case with you.:)

Good luck with healing. I usually play with a pick but sometimes not.  Some fast single note stuff doesn’t work well. Try pull-offs, but I think practicing and figuring out your own way is part of it. Try thumb and ring finger if your first and index can stay out of the way. Or try holdin the pick tha way.  Has to be a duct tape angle

5 hours ago, Carl.B said:

Just wondering who might play without using a pick Ala Jeff Beck style?

In August after getting back from vacation and putting things away in the attic of the garage I managed to take about a 8ft fall onto my old green metal Coleman cooler. Right arm fully extended out trying to brace my fall my hand hit the top edge of the cooler and then with full body weight onto the concrete floor. I broke or fractured 3 fingers and my wrist plus messed up a few tendons just for good measure. Good new's splints and and cast are gone and I can use 2 hands to type! The bad I can't hold a pick for the life of me, my index and middle finger have no sensation in them and probably never will. By the way the cooler doesn't even look like it even got scratch on it!

Looking for any tips or tricks to maybe speed up my progress.

Thanks

Carl B

Keep playing... work on a hard song that uses those fingers. Keep working on and it gets easier. I have spinal cancer and after they scraped the cancer that was paralyzing me off my spinal cord I lost sensation of my left hand. So I decided to learn The polices everybreath. It’s a hard song for most... I nail it now and sensation is returning... never give up!!! And now no one can give you shit about playing... it’s therapy : )

I am sorry that happened to you but am glad it wasn’t worse.

I sometimes play without a pick as it completely changes your tone and approach to the instrument. This may make you more versatile as a guitarist. 

When I was playing acoustic only I loved p,saying with my fingers.

i cannot hybrid pick to save my life, so for me it is either a pick, bare fingers, or a thumb pick and fingerpicks. All 3 sound great yet different. 

Sorry to hear about the accident.  Keep healing.  I had a major stroke and still cannot play worth a ....    I also have problems with a pick.  Friends have given me an assortment to try.  

I know I’m a smartass, but I’m actually being serious for once.  I had some luck with thick picks, and the cactus picks help some.   Also, the thicker plastic and wood too.  I read somewhere that Les Paul at one time had a problem holding a pick and he would glue course sandpaper (like 36 grit) to his picks.  

I never got proficient with thumb picks, but some players are great with them.  

I still enjoy my guitars and basses, but now only fiddle with them   It’s all I’ll ever be able to do.

If I can help, or if you want me to send you a sample of what I tried, please feel free to PM me.  I’m not being funny, even though my initials are PM.  🙂

Thank's everyone for all the support and suggestions and again proves why the HFC is such class group of members. 

I am using NuSkin on my fingers right now but that is because my fingers are soft as a baby's bottom right now.  After 30 some years of using a pick only on a electric guitar and sucking at that I might add maybe this will give me a challenge and improve my playing.  

Carry on the best you can. Find what works. Your passion for playing the music will take you where you want to go. Learn to play all over again. Peace,

Love and guitar strings.

Sorry to hear about your accident but glad you are on the mend. Patience, perseverance and practice. You could play before, you can play again.

As far as pickless, I do it occasionally. I studied some classical style soo many years ago(not that I play classical style now), that it comes somewhat naturally now.

Again, patience, perseverance and practice.

Good luck, you can do it. It all takes time.

Since you have no sensation in your fingers (which means you won't feel pain), try grinding down your index finger until you get a fine picking edge on the tip of the bone, then you'll have a permanent pick that will never drop.

If you get back a little strength and feeling in your thumb and index finger you could try getting a really thick pick.  They can be comfortable sometimes. 

Jeff Beck, the late Toy Caldwell, and whippersnapper Marcus King play(ed) with their fingers and no pick. 

Carl,

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident and the resultant guitar playing problems. I have many issues with my hands, wrists and arms; I've truly taken a beating over the years. I tried EVERYTHING to be able to hold a plectrum and have settled on V Picks. I finger pick (poorly) on acoustic guitar. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Archived