Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NAUD - Artist Ultimate

currypowder

Last week, I posted a near miss on this guitar, I thought it had been sold before I could snag it. I guess the initial buyer decided not to get it, so I was ultimately (pun intended) able to make it mine. 

In my periodic searching of Japanese guitar stores, this Hamer Artist Ultimate popped up for a more that reasonable price. Even though this really isn't the type of guitar I would typically target, I couldn't resist it given the model's history and reputation.

It's #10 in the series made in 1998. From my research, I'm guessing no more than about 80 were made since its release. But I could be wrong.

Of course it's gorgeous in every respect. It's in very good condition. Outside of just very light pick marks on the top that can only be seen at an angle, I can't find a mark on it. The original case has a little wear on the top corner, but nothing major. 

There are no COAs with it, unfortunately. That certainly didn't make a difference to me, it's pretty obvious what it is. There was an older Hamer brochure and price list, though.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet as it was delivered to my office. But I'm sure it'll be as good or better than every other Hamer that had passed through my hands.

y4mNXoePWcNrtaWMxPuFvBBeqLQYY1yOROCawuss

y4mqJjmaG07PbAFOBd4KmWwzU3EnWvw4GsPCX4b0

y4mBQskARhYKuty6lNJ49o2Z2ob3zMrJA9tihCSY

y4mhuTsZQmvt-aLHPaowdC5UnDnkgg47ON6uk5wR

I saw that. I'll have to let others that are much more knowledgeable than I opine on that. I haven't been able to find neck pickup cavity pictures of other AUs to see if it's consistent with them. There's nothing in the control cavity that looks like it was added, all looks original to me. And the coated wire is consistent with the striped coated wire that's grounded in the cavity. So I just figured it was some part of the grounding and put it out of my mind.

y4mHDdDiqrnLZUVTmOICw-Ri_8DVD-s6rW1_3A_J

Congrats on your latest acquisition.

Hamerica

Absolutely gorgeous...

loved those pickups as I snagged a pair years ago from someone who pulled them from their ultimate and replaced them with a set of EMG’s..  😱

On 11/30/2018 at 1:27 AM, Travis said:

Absolutely gorgeous...

loved those pickups as I snagged a pair years ago from someone who pulled them from their ultimate and replaced them with a set of EMG’s..  😱

That would certainly be a questionable decision.

Today, I finally got to spend some time with the Ultimate. Put some fresh strings on and got it set up to my liking. It didn't require much, the neck is straight. Just needed to lower the bridge a little and raise the pickups.

I also took the chance to really look it over from top to bottom. It's not in like new condition, but there is very little in the way of wear. Only the lightest of surface scratches that can only be seen at an angle, and very few of those. The frets have no wear at all. And the ebony board is a smooth and dark as I've ever seen.

No surprise, but it plays absolutely great. I'm enjoying playing it unplugged, it sounds so good by itself, resonant and alive. The Ultimate pickups are interesting. Clear and bright with pretty low output, resistance readings of 8.36 and 7.26. That seems to be consistent with others sets I've seen. 

I'm sure I'm not telling anyone anything they haven't already heard. I've owned a lot of Hamers over the years and this one is definitely one of the best.

1 hour ago, rugby1970 said:

Me thinks t'is a ground wire. Beautiful guitar!

Yep....that's the consensus....my question was less about what it is than why it's there.  I've seen shielded humbucker cavities, but never grounded humbucker cavities.  Does it or should it make any real or valid difference?  Is there something unique about the "Ultimate" pickups that makes it necessary?

Archived