Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Floyd Saddle Screw Hole Repair

diablo175

Question

I have a Hamer-stamped Schaller Floyd with a few stripped saddle screw holes. I've located what I think will be a fix for it. Link below.

Has anyone done this type of repair?

Any suggestions of things to consider or watch out for?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Z-SK40210-Threaded-Stainless-Installed/dp/B0092QUKRG/ref=asc_df_B0092QUKRG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312356819466&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9303043287689506557&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007347&hvtargid=pla-633744783597&psc=1

7 answers to this question

We do helicoils at work all the time. If you have any mechanical ability whatsoever it should be a piece 'o cake. Drill straight, use a little oil when drilling and tapping, use a little Loctite Cylindrical Lock on the threads when installing the helicoil (optional) and you're golden.

Be aware that the plate is very thin which means you won't get very many threads, and stripping the new threads out won't be too hard so you have to be careful. Take your time, don't force anything, use cutting oil (if you can, any oil if can't), keep the holes clear of chips every step of the way.

I would suggest finding a similar piece of material and doing a practice run (or 2). Better to f**kup there than ruin the plate.

You used to be able to buy a Schaller base-plate with 6 x threaded steel inserts (they wouldn't strip)! It's what I did when my saddle threads stripped on my 91 Cent. It was a few years ago and I can no longer find a link to buy one but here's what it looks like (the image is a Floyd Rose II but Schaller had their own for an OFR too)... 

This also looks like it might have steel inserts too (I paid a lot less for mine 8 years ago though): https://www.emma-music.com/schaller,us,4,SCH-545064.cfm

fr2-schbp00.jpg

if its an M3 , drill out to a #38 drill & re-tap it with a #5-40 UNC , done it on an old Chap I had years ago.  

One a side note: The chrome floyds don't strip out as easy due to the plating adding some strength to the fine thread surfaces.

7 hours ago, Vic Croll (Concrete Sox) said:

You used to be able to buy a Schaller base-plate with 6 x threaded steel inserts (they wouldn't strip)! It's what I did when my saddle threads stripped on my 91 Cent. It was a few years ago and I can no longer find a link to buy one but here's what it looks like (the image is a Floyd Rose II but Schaller had their own for an OFR too)... 

This also looks like it might have steel inserts too (I paid a lot less for mine 8 years ago though): https://www.emma-music.com/schaller,us,4,SCH-545064.cfm

Really wanting to make the Hamer-stamped functional again. If I wanted a new base plate, I'd just order whole new trem. ;)  That Hamer stamp may be valuable to someone wanting to bring a Hamer back to original state.

What's the alternate screw size/thread that Stonge used to tell us about that you could retrofit to a stripped hole without much hassle? Is that the one bruce919 is talking about?

it was actually just a fresh new stock spec screw; sometimes the thread on the old ones gets a little rounded over on the peaks of the threads and a fresh sharp screw holds a little tighter.  If the baseplate is stripped though it won't help. In that case it's either a helicoil repair or a replacement baseplate.  I used to have 5 or 6 of the new baseplates, but the last few Hamers I've sold have needed replacements for the schallers.  I might ask a cousin in Sweden to order and ship me a half dozen for my remaining Hamers since you can't find those over here.  

7 hours ago, stonge said:

it was actually just a fresh new stock spec screw; sometimes the thread on the old ones gets a little rounded over on the peaks of the threads and a fresh sharp screw holds a little tighter.  If the baseplate is stripped though it won't help. In that case it's either a helicoil repair or a replacement baseplate.  I used to have 5 or 6 of the new baseplates, but the last few Hamers I've sold have needed replacements for the schallers.  I might ask a cousin in Sweden to order and ship me a half dozen for my remaining Hamers since you can't find those over here.  

If you have one Hamer stamped base plate you'd be wiling to part with, I'd be happy to purchase one from you ;)

Archived