Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Friedman RUNT

1 hour ago, Punkavenger said:

I need something that ...  A. Sounds like a blackface Princeton reverb on one channel.  B. Sounds like a Marshall on the second channel. C. sounds good at low volume. D. accepts pedals well.  E. Tight bass.  F. vintage vintage vintage bluesy vibe

Sounds like you need a modeling amp~

22 minutes ago, Punkavenger said:

Id rather die

Orrrrrrrrrrr you can do like I do and use 2 separate amps with a ABY Switcher... I have one amp loaded with 6V6 tubes and the other with el34s that way you get the Fender/Marshall experience... I don't know what you have  in the way of amplifiers... just a thought 

13 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

I need something that ...  A. Sounds like a blackface Princeton reverb on one channel.  B. Sounds like a Marshall on the second channel. C. sounds good at low volume. D. accepts pedals well.  E. Tight bass.  F. vintage vintage vintage bluesy vibe

Then buy that Egnater and look around for some modules. You will have months of fun, swapping tubes, swapping modules, it really opened my eyes to what I like and don't like, what works well together and what doesn't. You can put any octal tube in the power section and bias it yourself with a meter, the preamps are easy to swap tubes in. Its a good way to OD yourself on options without buying 10 amps. 

@gtrdaddy I do pretty good at not plugging my own sales. 

On 12/1/2018 at 7:06 PM, Punkavenger said:

Mesa Boogie Mark llB, the clean is pure Fender, dime it and it’s balls out sweet blues,  dirt side has so much adjustment you can get about any tone you want. And they love pedals!!!

Allen Accomplice 2x10 for the Fender, Morgan AC20 1x12 for the Vox, Metropoulos Metroplex and 4x12 cab for the Marshall. Gets all the tones, cheap, and easy to load out. :)

FWIW I had the Runt 50 and liked it for a while, but it was kind of congested in the mids and that eventually made me sell it. I think Friedmans are just voiced too modern for my taste. 

The Friedman amps are quite good, however I don't think it'll really get the Fender clean and Marshall overdrive you want. The closest thing I've found what you are looking for is my Rivera amplifier. The clean channel can do a great blackface, and the lead channel does a great Marshall. It can sound great at low volumes, but like just about all tube amps, it sounds better above bedroom levels.

Speaking of Mesa......The Blue Angel is a single channel, but has two different power tube sections.....6vl and el84 (or use both). Put the right drive pedal in front and I can get pretty much every tone I need.

There are other relatively affordable options, such as Frenzel, that include both a "Fender" and "Marshall" preamp section in a single chassis, sometimes also with selectable output tubes. Use an ABY switch and they are very flexible.

If you end up in this neck of the woods, you'd be welcome to test drive one of each.

When amp shopping last year I played both the Runt 20 and 50, there was no comparison. The 50 had a much beefier tone and punch. I thought the clean and gain channels were both pretty nice and either would cover plenty of ground. There was something kind of strange with the low end that was difficult to dial back and if memory serves me correct a rattle in the cab as well. Seems that there was a strange imbalance between the clean and lead channel that could be an issue if playing live as well. In the end, I feel I got a much better, more versatile amp in the Splawn Street Rod.

Have you tried a Budda? That seems like it would be closer to what you may be looking for for lower gain type playing and everything else. Good luck in the search, that's half the fun.

17 hours ago, jettster said:

When amp shopping last year I played both the Runt 20 and 50, there was no comparison. The 50 had a much beefier tone and punch...

Just came on to say this. My brother bought a Runt 50 after initially being interested in the 20. I was with him when he was trying them out and the 50 was better in every possible way.

The Guitar Center we were at also had a Splawn Street Rod; it sounded great, but the snakeskin pattern wasn't really what he was looking for.

6 minutes ago, Punkavenger said:

Ok Ive found both a Blue Angel and Budda superdrive in the $900 range.  Vote now or forever hold your peace   :)

Of those two, the Budda all day long.

I've had an SD18 combo (Pre-Peavey) for 10+ years and anyone that has heard it always loves it. I thought it sounded much better after changing all of the tubes out  (ECC803S) Which aren't supposed to be optimal for a combo but it's the amp that I've had the longest. They do have a tendancy to burn through power tubes more than other amps I've had but it's not like you have to replace them every 6 months or anything. I was lucky and picked it up as a brand new return for $900 online.

1 minute ago, jettster said:

I've had an SD18 combo (Pre-Peavey) for 10+ years and anyone that has heard it always loves it. I thought it sounded much better after changing all of the tubes out  (ECC803S) Which aren't supposed to be optimal for a combo but it's the amp that I've had the longest. I was lucky and picked it up as a brand new return for $900 online.

I really like the ECC83MG's, the ECC803's are a fine choice as well. 

Archived