Hamer Fan Club Message Center

At least, I'm hoping it's a joke. $3450+ 150 shipping? *

https://reverb.com/item/17278879-ed-roman-hamer-californian-custom-conversion-1999-transparent-blue

*-  the ad does accept offers

image.png

I've played a Ed Roman guitar a friend had built and it was amazing.  That said, the neck joint on this looks suspect.  Love the korina and flame maple top.

My old white cali ended up in Russia. Wilkins refinished it, a bunch of hardware was replaced then I started playing Suhr :)

I know I'm going to incur Dbraz's wrath for saying this so hear goes: firstly that Cali looks pretty nice to me, lovely blue top (that matches my eyes)😍 two octave neck, floyd Rose blah blah blah. Secondly, that (especially with that p/u config) looks like a Diablo, so why the MASSIVE price diff between Diablos and Calis 🤔 ?

3 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I know I'm going to incur Dbraz's wrath for saying this so hear goes: firstly that Cali looks pretty nice to me, lovely blue top (that matches my eyes)😍 two octave neck, floyd Rose blah blah blah. Secondly, that (especially with that p/u config) looks like a Diablo, so why the MASSIVE price diff between Diablos and Calis 🤔 ?

I’m not talking to you anymore 🤣

1 hour ago, DBraz said:

I’m not talking to you anymore 🤣

5 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Some things to consider:

The neck was taken from one of the most awesome series of Cali's ever made- the exalted Limited Edition. Separating that neck from it's body (unless body was wrecked) is a sin- strike 1.

Next, Ed Roman decided to use the 2 H PU config from the Diablo, not unheard of on this forum ;)  but made the p'up parallel to the neck end (which likely pleases some) but it annoys me that he butted it right up against neck p'up. Looks shoe-horned in there - strike 2.

As for the price diff between Cali's and Diablos- they're two different animals. And if I had to guess as to the diff, I'm certain it's the 3 extra frets that accounts for the price increase. 😆 But maple veneer or not, that is NOT worth an additional $1600 that a decent Cali LE might command. Utter rubbish.

I saw this and had mixed feelings about it.

I have two USA Calis, and I like them both more than this one.  But - I’ve been keeping an eye on it since Roman guitars don’t hold their value well in the used market, and I wouldn’t mind nabbing this one for a much more reasonable price.

Full disclosure: I have a full-blooded Roman Quicksilver and I think it is one of the best guitars I’ve ever played.  I think mine was build after the controversial guy’s death, in case that bothers anyone.  By all accounts Ed was challenging to get along with, but the current Roman crew and techs are top notch from what I could tell when I visited there a couple of years ago.

Also, I have a nearly pristine Diablo...  I’d say the difference in price is the three piece tilt-back neck with the extra frets.  Lots of extra work going into that over the scalloped headstock, one-piece maple diablo neck.  Also, boomerangs.

Archived