Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Bass Players, Let's Talk

I always loved the guitars. I was aware of the (1st gen) Cruise Bass, but I really liked the Gibson Victory and RD basses. 1990 I was at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt and took the 1990 catalogue with me. Somehow I loved the look of the Chaparral Max Bass. The FBIV would have been cool, but I never saw one for sale. In 2000 I started to play bass in a band and was in for a new bass. I wanted a Fender American Deluxe, went to a shop and looked around in one corner where they had the used gear I saw a Chap Max almost like the one in the catalogue, didn't try it. I thought it was too expensive anyway. Two years later, I somehow got again into Hamer guitars and wanted a FBII guitar, found one, bought it. Remembered the Chap Bass I saw in the shop. Went there hoping they still had it (two years later!). And they still had it, but the neck needed a setup, as it wasn't really playable, and it was covered in dust. I guess nobody tried it in those two years. I got it with original case for 650 Euros. Once clean again and the neck straightened it was fantastic to play and looks very pretty. Would love another Chap Bass with ebony board. Were there Chaps with alder body?

On 12/4/2018 at 5:56 PM, bassbora said:

I only play Warwicks but I have never tried a Hamer bass. I would love a reverse headstock 5 string Chap with boomerangs. Where do you find such a thing??? 

The one bass I will always regret selling...

My90MarbleChapMaxV.jpg

I have B12S and this Chap, a solid maple bass. Never really got along with Hamer basses. The tone isn't happening for me and they are tiring to play. On paper this bass should be perfect for me - big P bass neck, ebony, active electronics. IDK.  Looks bad ass. 

NkqHwPCh.jpg

In the 80's i went to a concert and Johnny Cougar's bass player was playing a red Hamer and i wanted one bad.I found out they were 800.00 way out of my range.30 yrs later I started playing bass again and the first bass i found was the same red cruise I always wanted.The red ones are keepers the Blitz neck  is just to different than the cruise bass and it is for sale.

cruiser.jpg

1.jpg

blitz3.jpg

i play guitar since my 11yr , but from the beginning way that the bass sound make me feel like call my attention 

one time my guitar teacher toll me: play bass give me more satisfaction than the guitar, i will never forget this words

one years ago ( im 41yr now) , i toll my wife , i need a lover, she told me not! , ok i need a bass guitar, she told me yes! 

this is how i started to search a bass, and like a hamer fan i bought ( for $520in a pawn shop, in one of my travels to Usa) a blue cruise 96 2tek emg act that come all original except the nut ( brass) 

and im in love,  its very very easy to play , you can feel how well made it was, your fingers run in the fingerboard. 

i only change the withe picward for a black mate one, that fits like the original  ( pickward planet)

im thinking to buy a black schaller tuners and a black string retainer, bit is an idea for now

i love it

20181212_112427.jpg

On 12/9/2018 at 3:48 PM, cmatthes said:

The one bass I will always regret selling...

My90MarbleChapMaxV.jpg

Boomerangs. Jim O'Connor finish. Reverse headstock. It ticks ALL the boxes. But as ironic as this might sound, I do kinda understand letting that one go. I've also owned a 5-string Chap bass and the word that comes to mind is BIG. Wide fingerboard. Double trussrods. Huge sound. No danger of being drowned out on stage. And yet for me (and maybe because I'm not primarily a bassist) it was just too much. For me, it will always be the 5 string 1st gen Cruise basses. They're warm and intimate. They suit me.

Archived