Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Now I know how you guys feel!

bubs_42

20 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

It’s even better (worse?) when the person you’re talking to has NEVER HEARD OF THE BEATLES!!!!

I read an article recently that said the last couple of generations don't discover and care about the Beatles like every other generation did up until them.  I found that really sad.  Good music is good music and that confirms my fear that younger people simply can't discern between the wheat and the chaff.  Going forward what will music be?

20 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Just start telling all these kids that everything old is by KISS.  Let them think that every song on the radio from before they were born is done by the same band. 

I had an old girlfriend who knew nothing about music but she knew I loved AC/DC.  Occasionally I would ask her who was playing on the radio and it didn't matter who it was, she always guessed AC/DC.  It was funny for a while.  The worst one ever was a Fleetwood Mac song.

5 hours ago, FGJ said:

On the flip side, I have no clue who any new bands are.

Right there with you.

3 hours ago, HamerDave said:

Too funny. My 16yr old son and I were talking just last night about the lack of depth in the current crop of bands. Zeppelin’s Kashmir was on the radio and he asked why today’s bands don’t make music like that. We were trying to come up with a group we thought would still be played like that 30 years from now.

There are none.  I used to watch the musical guest on SNL and occasionally get turned on to something new or at least see the "hot new band" and could almost understand how people liked them.  That changed the season when Arcade Fire played on there.  I just sat there thinking "there is utterly nothing I like about this band".  There were several other bands that season I felt the same way about.  Now literally in an entire season there might be one musical guest I've even heard of, and usually I don't like them either.  And stay off my lawn!

I've probably posted this here in years past, but I sometimes use an anecdote about generational music differences in my speeches/lectures.

I recall times when I'd walk into a music store (CDs, for the most part) back when such stores existed, wherein I spent several minutes before I would finally be greeted by a bored late Gen-Xer/primeval Millenial who drawled something like "Findin' everything okay, sir?"

My response: "Naw, where's the beatnik-hootenanny music?"

Usually there was no immediate verbal response, just a look from the employee that was as blank as the combined combat records of Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich (my speeches/lectures are non-partisan).

I still smile when I think about the time I was listening to Van Halen I and someone asked me who that was.  When I told him it was VH, he didn't believe me as he said that wasn't Sammy Hagar.  Sadly, he didn't even know who David Lee Roth was or that VH I to Diver Down even existing. Felt old, but felt more sad that he didn't even know or had experienced  VH I and II

18 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

@Bloozguywas using that app a long time ago. I totally forgot about it that amp. 

I used Shazam quite a bit to "discover" new-to-me music and it served me quite well. It might be the curmudgeon side of me coming out, but I don't hear anywhere near as much music these days that makes me want to yank out my phone and Shazam the music. Much of what is out there today is eminently forgettable.

1 hour ago, tommy p said:

I read an article recently that said the last couple of generations don't discover and care about the Beatles like every other generation did up until them.  I found that really sad.  Good music is good music and that confirms my fear that younger people simply can't discern between the wheat and the chaff.  Going forward what will music be?

If you recall, in the past couple of years Paul McCartney tried to attend a party after the Grammy's and was not allowed in.  Someone within the musical world had no clue how important McCartney is in music. 

6 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

If you recall, in the past couple of years Paul McCartney tried to attend a party after the Grammy's and was not allowed in.  Someone within the musical world had no clue how important McCartney is in music. 

I had forgotten about that...probably because I pay very little attention to the Grammys.

19 hours ago, scottcald said:

When I was working in a theatre, they had a guy just out of high school interning in the scene shop.  The scene shop had a big PA system blasting music over the power tools.  The foreman put on the White Album and the 18 year old comes up and says, "Hey, this is pretty catchy.  Who are these guys?"   

He was taken into the office for about an hour to learn about the Beatles. 

My first indicator that I had done at least an acceptable job as a parent was when my son, at around age 8, asked for the White Album for Christmas. He is 34 now and still likes it.

That album was released 50 years ago on November 22nd...

13 minutes ago, Bloozguy said:

My first indicator that I had done at least an acceptable job as a parent was when my son, at around age 8, asked for the White Album for Christmas. He is 34 now and still likes it.

My dad took me to my first concert when I was 10 (Queen) and over the next 4 years would take me to see the Nuge, Journey, Queen (again), KISS, Thin Lizzy, and Aerosmith.
Years later (c.1986),  he wanted someone to go with him to see Judas Priest (for the 3rd time), so he called me, but I was never into them, so I passed - lol.

5 hours ago, The Shark said:

Their long time guitarist Joe Rodriguez is a buddy of mine.  He says they're still huge in South America and the Far East.

...and they SHOULD be.  Buy your friend a beer for me.

FYI - MASSIVE upside to all this....you cover-band mavens just found a WHOLE new audience who have NEVER heard any of this stuff before, that is if you could get them into the bar....

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Even better, if you never bothered to learn any new songs you can play all the worn out stuff for the younger people looking to hear oldies acts. 

I always tell my friends that we started playing the songs on our list when they were new.  They are now "Classic Rock".  When they're "oldies", I'm done.

Seriously though, the Millenials do come out to hear "Classic Rock".  Their parents were blasting that shit when they were in their cribs. 

21 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

I've probably posted this here in years past, but I sometimes use an anecdote about generational music differences in my speeches/lectures.

I recall times when I'd walk into a music store (CDs, for the most part) back when such stores existed, wherein I spent several minutes before I would finally be greeted by a bored late Gen-Xer/primeval Millenial who drawled something like "Findin' everything okay, sir?"

My response: "Naw, where's the beatnik-hootenanny music?"

Usually there was no immediate verbal response, just a look from the employee that was as blank as the combined combat records of Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich (my speeches/lectures are non-partisan).

I'm sure I've told this story on here before but rather than go look for it, I'll tell it again.

When the last Keith Richards solo album, Crosseyed Heart, was realeased Best Buy had a version with bonus songs.  I went there on the release day and looked around their tiny CD section for a few minutes and didn't see it anywhere.  Finally some green-haired kid comes up to me and asks what I'm looking for.  I tell him and he goes to the computer and first types in the name as all one word so I had to spell it out for him and tell him it was a person's name.  He says that yes, they are supposed to have it and it's on sale (yeah, I know that).  He starts looking for it too but can't find it so some neckbeard comes ambling over and says "what are you looking for?"  Green hair says "Keith Richards.  Ever heard of it?"  Neckbeard says "No, sounds country though." and heads off to the country section.  AAAAAaaaarrrrggggghhhhh!

Turns out they DIDN'T even have their own exclusive bonus cut version on the day of release.  I went back a few days later and got it.

Honestly, I wasn't familiar with music 35 years or so before my time so it doesn't seem far fetched that kids now days would be unfamiliar with the music I was listening to that long ago either. There is plenty of good new music around, it just isn't found via any of the outlets we all grew up on. If you know where to look there is plenty, just to name few.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:32 AM, The Shark said:

Their long time guitarist Joe Rodriguez is a buddy of mine.  He says they're still huge in South America and the Far East.

I was going to say I thought Paul Reynolds was the guitarist in AFOS, then I saw they've had 20 guys in that band over the years. I think that might be more than Yes lol They were a guilty pleasure of mine back in the 80's, had some great tunes.

17 hours ago, jettster said:

There is plenty of good new music around, it just isn't found via any of the outlets we all grew up on. If you know where to look there is plenty, just to name few.

And there's the rub.  Is music supposed to be hard to find and difficult to access unless you're technologically hip and 'in the know', like it's some kind of secret?  

7 hours ago, crunchee said:

And there's the rub.  Is music supposed to be hard to find and difficult to access unless you're technologically hip and 'in the know', like it's some kind of secret?  

Yup.  Strictly need to know ...

Well, I am 50 now. I always listened to 60's/70's stuff. People my age never understood my taste in music. I thought, it was popular stuff, but it really wasn't with the people around me. When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I listened to Sweet, Queen, Uriah Heep, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Who, Jethro Tull, Beatles and others. I also knew lots of 60's stuff like Spencer Davis Group, Hendrix, Cream, Hollies and even listened to lots of other stuff. My mom occasionally bought those K-Tel, Arcade, Polystar music sample albums and there was some other stuff mixed with some radio hits, ELO, ELP, ABBA, Aerosmith, Hall and Oates, BTO, Sparks, Elton John etc. Music always had something special for me, but not so for all my classmates, who seemed to be solely into sports. I think that's just the influence of the parents who had no interest in music either. By the time I was 12/13 it was really bad, as I wanted to experience all the music that I missed in the 70's and I found lots of music that I still love today. By that time, my contemporaries also developed an interest in music but they listened mostly what was popular then (about 1981/82). Neue Deutsche Welle (NDW) was big in Germany (remember Nena and Peter Schilling? They were even No. 1 in the US charts). While I felt there was also nice music to be found in the 80's it sure was less interesting for me than the decade before. And when the 90's came, I really didn't enjoy most of the culture. I didn't like most of the music. Big were boybands, rap, Eurodance/techno, grunge and atrernative (which really wasn't alternative in that sense). TV shows got really bad, even big movies, comic books from that time were not my style. But this was the time, the people my age discovered culture for themselves, of course, we were all in our early 20's. Many of those didn't know and still don't know what happened before musically. Those are the parents of the "millenials"... Well, nowadays I still find some stuff to enjoy. Sure, the 60's and 70's and also the 80's had music acts, that we celebrated so hard that they got larger than life personalities. That doesn't seem to happen nowadays, and with many of those old celebs either dead or retired music doesn't find that general interest as it used to. It's almost as if people struggle for their social needs and politics get them down, technical requirements in everyday life grow above their level, that people just forget about actually enjoying culture. Ah, everytime this topic comes up, I start to rant seemingly bitter about all this. I don't play many gigs, haven't had any experience of gigging in front of a huge audience either. But when we play we usually get positive reactions from the people. Not huge audiences, but still okay. On my recent few gigs, people came to me after the show how much they enjoyed the music and my playing. It's funny, as mostly people just only come to me and I am only the bassplayer, LOL. So it's not that bad really (the bands I am in are not really that interesting to me though, see rant above).

I've gotten a couple of those "heard your music you're awesome" e-mails from so-called program directors.  They obviously haven't heard me, but I haven't quite figured out a way to screw with them yet.

A lot of what has come out musically in the past couple of decades has gone right past me.  I've kept an ear on SNL and Austin City Limits because maybe once a season I'd get put on to something I thought was cool, although it was usually waaaay away from mainstream.  Oh, I remember the Arcade Fire segment on Austin City Limits and thinking the exact same thing: "There is absolutely nothing I like about this band, whyinthehell do they even exist?"

My band avoided irrelevance for that period of time by doing some evergreen 60's and 70's singer-songwriter stuff, but our real stock in trade was the off the beaten path, quirky, "stuff we like and you might too if you give it a chance".  Kept us going for over 20 years.  In the process we stumbled on a new genre/pigeonhole that works for a lot of ages.  They call it Americana, but it really spans from way back in the sticks Appalachia to "pedal to the metal" punk.  I/we tend to lean toward the louder end of all that and I've been finding myself sharing the stage and mutual admiration with people less than half my age right on out to folks my age and older.  Sometimes the kids are flummoxed when I pull out something from "my" generation, but are least respectful/interested.  And i have to say it cuts both way.  I ramble, therefore I stop.

20 hours ago, crunchee said:

From what I remember it was similar back in the day. I relied on others to find out about Judas Priest, Whitesnake and many others long before they were getting radio play or known by most others. Technology has enabled anyone and everyone the ability to create music so there is certainly more to sift through than in previous decades. From my perspective, I've always had to search for music that I want to hear, possibly because I place a higher value on music than the average Joe does these days.

I walked into the gym the other day, I hadn't been there in a while and It was good to be back.  I was dressed in all black gym clothes down to the shoes. Of course my very predictable first comment was  "Back in black"   No one knew what the fuck I was talking about.

Archived