Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Favorite EL84 tubes?

I'm trying to get my Pro jr to sound more marshall esque.  I found a nice handmade slightly used pine cabinet with a 12" baffle for a good price. Found a nice used greenback for a good price. Its sounding pretty good but could use more bass response and gain. 

I replaced the stock JJ's to Daystrom mullards in the power section & TAD mullards in the pre-amp section... that change alone added a lot of beef~ Through a 1x12 Bogner Cube "even more beef"... pretty convincing Marshall tone for a low wattage amp

1 hour ago, Punkavenger said:

I'm trying to get my Pro jr to sound more marshall esque.  I found a nice handmade slightly used pine cabinet with a 12" baffle for a good price. Found a nice used greenback for a good price. Its sounding pretty good but could use more bass response and gain. 

Two Words: Rabbit Hole 

Ditch the greenback and go with a G12H30. 

I have 4 EL84 amps ... 2 of them (Orange OR-15 and Orange TH30) Have Tung-Sols and 2 of them (Orange Tiny Terror and Laney Ironheart) have Electro Harmonix ... after trying numerous EL84s I really like the way these 4 amps sound (To my ears ... )

The old still tested great Mullards I sold in my Lil Dawg Pug to Sir Daniel back 3 1/2 years ago were BY FAR the best I have ever heard.

I have no issues with JJs, the Mesa matched set....but I bought a set of Gold Lions new production and one crapped out after just a few months. They did sound great but now the Mesas are back in and still cranking.

I seem to have a pile of EL-84 amps.  The Pro Jr. came with a Mullard and something else exotic, I forget what.  Sounds killer with an Eminence Copperhead (like a Ragin' Cajun with a little more top).  The modded Classic 30 is rough on power tubes and it has a full load of JJ's which seem to hold up well.  Don't laugh on this next one.  it's an original white Crate Vintage Club 30.  All tube (except the reverb recovery) all Class A, tough as hell and sounds great. I usually just dime the clean channel, set the tone controls to suit me and clean to a nice smooth crunch is right there in the guitar's volume knob.  Pretty loud, though.  Eons ago, GP did a review and noted that it seemed to like cheap tubes.  At the time, your tube choices were Sovtek and Groove Tubes.  I filled it fulla Sovteks sometime in the 80's and threw it into vans and onto bar stages for years.  I dusted it off recently and it still sounds great.  Go figure.

I know I've got something else around here but insufficient coffee at the moment.

Archived