Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Recommend a CD player for use in car?

Pieman

Question

13 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I bought one once when my car had a cassette player. Now I want to buy one for my wife's car to augment whatever came standard.  

Any recommendations?  Places to look?

Do you mean to replace the stock stereo?   or something to add on, by mounting or setting somewhere...

On 12/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, Pieman said:

I bought one once when my car had a cassette player. Now I want to buy one for my wife's car to augment whatever came standard.  

How about Crutchfield Audio?

Thanks  for the replies.

Not to replace the in dash unit.. Was thinking of those portable CD players from the 90s.   This must be ancient technology,  Nothing at Crutchfield.   Amazon has a bunch from a company called HOTT. I did go deeper down the list and found a Sony.  Amazon must let those companies like HOTT buy their way to the top of the offerings.  

Thanks again.

Do you have an AUX in or?.. because "although antiquated" I just use a Sony Sports Discman via aux-in through my cassette tape as it actually makes it  a pretty versatile system as I can also plug in my iPod or other devices... the factory disc player skips going over rough terrain in My Land Cruiser

It's a relatively simple and inexpensive modification to have a stereo mini-jack installed somewhere on your dashboard or stereo faceplate. From there you are free to plug in your portable Discman, an iPod Classic (if you can find one), a Smart Phone with music streaming subscription, etc. With all those options I think you'd quickly find a single disc portable unit to be a drag. On a road trip you'd be surprised how quickly you run through a CD, and changing a disc while on the move would be pretty dangerous. I know the iPod Classic is long out of production, but the 160 GB model can hold the equivalent of 200 CDs, and of course a streaming subscription is nearly infinite.

47 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

It's a relatively simple and inexpensive modification to have a stereo mini-jack installed somewhere on your dashboard or stereo faceplate. From there you are free to plug in your portable Discman, an iPod Classic (if you can find one), a Smart Phone with music streaming subscription, etc. 

This or if you already have a cassette player... This is what I use... WORKS GREAT~uOufPHw.png

17 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

This or if you already have a cassette player... This is what I useuOufPHw.png

Yeah, I have one of those in my console storage compartment. I thought about mentioning it, but a stereo jack that accesses the car's audio would sound better. I have another relic that was state of the art about 20 years ago--a 6-CD Alpine changer in the trunk. That's the one I use now. Sounds great.

If you are going to add something consider putting a new unit in the dash instead of adding another piece of gear to go through an auxiliary input.  You can now get something with a USB port that allows you to plug in a flash drive with your music and podcasts on it.  There is also the opportunity to have a wireless link to the in dash CD player/receiver.  A friend plays youtube playlists through his car stereo that way.  Just about any album you have on CD is already uploaded to youtube now. 

On 12/10/2018 at 5:39 AM, Steve Haynie said:

If you are going to add something consider putting a new unit in the dash instead of adding another piece of gear to go through an auxiliary input.  You can now get something with a USB port that allows you to plug in a flash drive with your music and podcasts on it.  There is also the opportunity to have a wireless link to the in dash CD player/receiver.  A friend plays youtube playlists through his car stereo that way.  Just about any album you have on CD is already uploaded to youtube now. 

The Crutchfield page I linked to is a dizzying display of drop-in dash units that don't play CDs, but can play a variety of wireless digital sources. Example

On 12/4/2018 at 8:09 PM, Pieman said:

Just replace the old cassette deck. A new in dash unit with a CD player can be had for little money and places like Crutchfield sell harness adapters and provide pretty clear instructions for you to DIY fairly easily. I did the Discman with the cassette adapter probably 20 years ago, it gets old. Nowadays having a bunch of CDs in the car gets old. 😄

On 12/9/2018 at 9:06 PM, JohnnyB said:

It's a relatively simple and inexpensive modification to have a stereo mini-jack installed somewhere on your dashboard or stereo faceplate.

changing a disc while on the move would be pretty dangerous.

I did that in my car. Took the stereo out and added a cable with a mini-stereo jack. Now I can hook up my phone and listen to Spotify. When going on trips far away from society, through forrests etc, the phone/mobile connection can go down however. Then I revert back to CDs. 

And sure, chaning a disc can be dangerous when driving. But try to type in the search field on your phone to find music either stored or on Spotify. It is way worse, a real hassle. Dangerous.
The only good use of services like Siri and Cortana for me would be to be able to talk to the phone, say an artist and album, and the phone would play it on Spotify. That would be useful for real, not just a gimmick. 

The Kenwood I got from Crutchfield plays CDs, has Blueteeth and 2 USB ports, AND will brew a cup 'o coffee for right around $130. The thing has everything. And like Stike said, Crutchfield sends all the adapters/pigtails so everything is plug-and-play - no wires to cut or splices to make. One of the easiest swaps ever.

Otherwise - garage sales. Everybody has a $2 Discman at their garage sale. I've got probably a half-dozen here so when one craps out, I pitch it and grab another. Add the cassette adapter thingy and you're good to go for under $5.

I've had good luck with Crutchfield replacing an old n dash system to bluetooth. Many also have disc playing ability.

On another vehicle that has a cd cassette player that I didnt feel like replacing I found a blue tooth adapter that plugs in your 12V / cig lighter. You tune it to an fm radio station that has no signal and pair it with your phone..like $15 and works great for the  most part. Off subject but in case someone else is in that boat, I never knew they existed.

Archived