Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What’s your newest Hamer in “relic” condition?

Travis

Just something I was thinking about the other day: how hard did I play my Hamers over the years?  I’ve had a dozen plus hamers over the years in addition to other brands of guitars. My current group consists of a talladega in near mint condition. My mirage in what I would call “moderately used” condition even tho it was my first Hamer bought new in ‘94. Then there’s my ‘83 Vector. It’s been heavily played but I wouldn’t necessarily call it “relic’d”

I’m guessing that most of us take really good care of such fine instruments. However, when a guitar has been played for 30-40 years it’s going to show some wear. 

I’m just wondering if anyone has a “newer” Hamer that’s been such a workhorse for them that it’s been relic’d the good old fashioned way. Anyone have something from the 90’s or newer that looks beat to hell but is just so solid and toneful that it’ll get played hard for another 20 years because it’s just that good?

Ha!  I’ll post some when I get home. Was just pontificating while waiting to pick up my son from the inlaws. 

Here are some quick, crappy cell phone pics of the guitars in question...

I’ll see if I can track down some better pics tomorrow when I’m on my computer  

84CA757C-590A-4E78-BE79-9FAF823B4036.jpeg

1E580EB9-9989-4A9B-9034-9597A01ED095.jpeg

Once Hamer switched from nitro to urelac, I think a lot of natural relicing simply became harder to see due to the durability of the urelac. 

My 2002 Artist has been my #1 since I got it in 2007 and I gigged her hard for nearly a decade. I do keep my guitars polished but they do not get babied. The finish on my Artist is still intact and new looking. I wore the frets right now to a  refret earlier this year.

The finish on my Shishkov is actually showing wear more than the Hamers. The urelac mix on mine seems a little softer, or at least it did...most of the dings are from me swinging the big dorsal fin around...I did the same thing as a kid with my ‘76 Explorer.

1 hour ago, Jakeboy said:

Once Hamer switched from nitro to urelac, I think a lot of natural relicing simply became harder to see due to the durability of the urelac. 

Totally makes sense as to why I hardly ever see more recent hamers showing their age.

My 83 cruise is showing wear.   My 84 protoII is showing more now that i’ve Had It a while.  I try to take care but I do play them a bit.

On 12/7/2018 at 6:12 PM, Travis said:

And my Mirage with its original receipt of sale. Bought in January of ‘95...

54566429-9D62-4292-956F-336BE69EC8CF.jpeg

Someone needs to start a "Who still has their original store receipt for a guitar they purchased new" thread. I still have the receipt for my 1989 Cali.

My Vanguard P90 Silver Sparkle has some cowboy chord fretwear from a previous owner. I don't mind it, plays like a dream. Some dents in the finish that I've touched up. It's a work horse!

4 hours ago, Disturber said:

My Vanguard P90 Silver Sparkle has some cowboy chord fretwear from a previous owner. I don't mind it, plays like a dream. Some dents in the finish that I've touched up. It's a work horse!

I wanted to get one of those silver ones several years back.   At the time it was one of the cheapest P90 Artist style models on the used market, but still pretty rare. 

I ended up with a black one instead.

18 hours ago, FGJ said:

Someone needs to start a "Who still has their original store receipt for a guitar they purchased new" thread. I still have the receipt for my 1989 Cali.

I think I still have the original sales receipt for my ‘89 charvel 650xl (with an ‘88 serial number) bought new in ‘92...

But the Mirage was my first Hamer. 

Archived