Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Flangers...Any Recommendations?

crunchee

I'm thinking about getting back into pedals, I've used a '90's reissue 'big box' Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress flanger before and liked it a lot except for the size and the hard wired 'plug-in' (not wall wart) power supply.  I don't think that EH makes that size or version anymore, is there a flanger out there that is as good if not better than the old Deluxe Electric Mistress?  Are the current, smaller Electric Mistress pedals that EH makes nowadays any good?  Any other good (if not better) options out there nowadays?  Opinions and tone reports please!

My son has a pink one that he researched a lot. It's not made anymore but available easily on the used market. He got his through GC. I'll ask him about it when he gets home from work. There is something remarkable about that flanger. Even I can hear it. But then, if I hear it and like it, chances are most won't. So it seems anyway. 

I have the pink flanger in hand. It's a Boss BF-2. It's the older one with the pink label on the back and made in Taiwan. That means there is something different inside. :lol:

This thing does sound seriously good. Or maybe it's just Brandon's fingers. 

The only flanger I have is part of a Keeley DynoMyRoto Pedal...does 80s tr-chorus, a Leslie rotating speaker, and finally a flanger. Works for me.

I've had many of the flangers listed above and my favorite is easily the Paul Gilbert Airplane Flanger. There are a few on Reverb right now in the 100-125 range. No brainer IMHO.

I can't concur strongly enough about the Ibanez Paul Gilbert Airplane.  SImply the best, most flexible one I've ever played.

TC Electronics Vortex. It does the 'Through Zero' thing that sounds waaay more like grabbing reels than your average flang-er. The Foxrox Paradox TZF2 was the best I'd ever heard, but pretty pricey. The Boss BF-2 was on my board forever thru the late '80s/early '90s because it did Eddie's chorus sound really well.

You almost have to sit down with a pile of them and go until you find that one. The varieties are endless. I wanted  'more trippy/less color' (think Itchycoo Park) and the Vortex works for me for that.

On 12/9/2018 at 5:27 PM, cmatthes said:

I can't concur strongly enough about the Ibanez Paul Gilbert Airplane.  SImply the best, most flexible one I've ever played.

I have been thinking of replacing my old Dod with one. But they are kinda bulky. Seems like a very good flanger though.

The old Boss BF-2 is great, and the BF-3.

I've owned my DOD 575 since 1984. It's good and vintage sounding. Does a good Univibe too, when needed. you can find them at reasonable prices still. Well recomended.

Hard to go wrong with a Boss BF-3 if you don’t mind buffered pedals.  Probably not the best out there, but super reliable, affordable, and offers some cool sound options with the mode knob (I have one on my “rock band” pedalboard that I set to do this repeating note thing when I hold the pedal down).  Does the traditional flanger stuff real well too.

On 12/8/2018 at 3:26 PM, RobB said:

I'd go with a 70s/80s MXR AC Flanger, with the hard-wired power cord. Thumbs up for the Airplane Flanger, too.

I have the newer version reissue MXR flanger with the 18V AC adaptor, but I can nail that VH flanger sound. I also like the original ADA flanger for that Pat Travers flying airplane sound on "Boom Boom Out Goes The Light". The ADA reissue flanger is cool if you can find one. 

Guitar George

A/DA is still available factory direct.  They have a newer PBF (pedal board friendly) version that claims to have the same sound in a smaller box.  The originals are my all time favorite, but if I was buying today I'd give the PBF a go.

Edit: they're on ebay for $180.  Originals are way more.

I have an old, yellow Ibanez FL-9 that is my favorite for flanging.  Like it even better than the fancy MXR I had a while back.  But that’s pribably because the Ibby is more of a chorus with feedback (like a thick, syrupy chorus) than a jet-engine sounding type of flange.

i recently got a Boss MS-3 to handle my channel switching and effects all in one unit, but I haven’t checked out its flangers yet.

This one is an odd ball, but if you can find a Paia Hyperflange/Chorus, it is an awesome effect. Only problem is, it was a kit from the early/mid 80's, and its rack mount only. It was based on the SAD1024 chip which is obsolete, but they sounded awesome.

Archived