Hamer Fan Club Message Center

When I Was A Kid, I Didn't Know This Was Jazz...

crunchee

...but I really liked this tune anyway.  A Charlie Brown Christmas was first shown on US TV today, 53 years ago, in 1965.  As far as I know, I was probably one of the kids watching it on TV back then, I'm old enough.  I liked everything about the special, including all of the music on it.  I still do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Charlie_Brown_Christmas

Fun fact: The Wikipedia article above says that Jefferson Airplane was recording next door, when A Charlie Brown Christmas was being recorded in the studio--it doesn't say if the kids' dialogue was being recorded at the time, or something else (i.e., music) was...I suspect it was probably dialogue.

BTW, this song is called Linus And Lucy.  The video looks like it was looped from the special in order to use the whole tune from the soundtrack:

18 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

But this shit? What is that?

Well, it appears to be a cover of a song from "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

Love it! It's from the year I was born. I recently bought 13 Charlie Brown / Peanuts DVD's. They are very difficult to get in England...

21 hours ago, a.bandini said:

Same here, Crunchee.   Love that music.  My only problem with it is that it ends too soon.   

It's funny you mention that...  I get sad whenever I see Charlie Brown and Linus on the bridge at the end of the special because I know it's almost over until next year.  :)

@crunchee It's hard to tell from the original post, but if you're looking for more of that kind of thing, check out Bill Evans.  Not quite as upbeat, but definitely in that cool jazz realm.  

30 minutes ago, sixesandsevens said:

@crunchee It's hard to tell from the original post, but if you're looking for more of that kind of thing, check out Bill Evans.  Not quite as upbeat, but definitely in that cool jazz realm.  

And if you dig the piano jazz thing but are interested in a newer take, check out Brad Mehldau Trio.

25 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

What's the difference between a jazz guitarist and a blues/rock guitarist?

The jazz guitarist plays three-thousand chords in front of three people. The blues & rock guitarist plays three chords in front of three thousand people.

Here here dude.

Truthfully, the older I get, the more jazz I find myself listening to.  And there is plenty of great new jazz out there, and with Spotify its all right at my fingertips.  There are some things about this 21st Century that I am digging.

19 minutes ago, G Man said:

Truthfully, the older I get, the more jazz I find myself listening to.  And there is plenty of great new jazz out there, and with Spotify its all right at my fingertips.  There are some things about this 21st Century that I am digging.

That Bosch series on Amazon Prime bounced me into the books.  Detective Bosch is something of an audiophile. The books are full of references to the  jazz masters - Hampton Hawes, Charlie Parker, Miles, etc.  At the same time I started to explore that, my kids started playing in the high school jazz band so I ended up hearing about Snarky Puppy and Kamasi Washington.  It's fun exploring.  

But Scott era ACDC, 70s KISS, Zepplin...that's still my comfort food when push comes to shove.

Jazz is a great change up from a thousand years of rock and blues. I don't understand it for a second, but love the challenge. B)

I used to throw the Charlie Brown thing in the middle of L.A. Woman. Some people caught it......

On 12/10/2018 at 12:12 PM, sixesandsevens said:

if you're looking for more of that kind of thing, check out Bill Evans.  Not quite as upbeat, but definitely in that cool jazz realm.  

also Ahmad Jamal, Dave Brubeck, & McCoy Tyner

On 12/9/2018 at 11:18 AM, crunchee said:

When I Was A Kid, I Didn't Know This Was Jazz...

...but I really liked this tune anyway.  A Charlie Brown Christmas was first shown on US TV today, 53 years ago, in 1965.  As far as I know, I was probably one of the kids watching it on TV back then, I'm old enough.  I liked everything about the special, including all of the music on it.  I still do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Charlie_Brown_Christmas

Fun fact: The Wikipedia article above says that Jefferson Airplane was recording next door, when A Charlie Brown Christmas was being recorded in the studio--it doesn't say if the kids' dialogue was being recorded at the time, or something else (i.e., music) was...I suspect it was probably dialogue.

BTW, this song is called Linus And Lucy.  The video looks like it was looped from the special in order to use the whole tune from the soundtrack:

1965 was also the year I discovered jazz, but it started in June when I was still 11. I had just "graduated" from grade school and I'd played drums in my elementary school band. My 29-yr-old sister sent me a Gene Krupa big band album--it was sort of a reunion album of Krupa and some of the star soloists of his post-War big band, with Quincy Jones doing the arranging and conducting. I was hooked. Soon afterward, my 33-yr-old sister gave me a Dave Brubeck Quartet album because I was interested in the drummer, Joe Morello. The previous Fall my dad gave me both Slingerland and Ludwig drum catalogs. Krupa was the featured endorser in the Slingerland catalog and Morello was the celebrity endorser for Ludwig, but I had not heard either of them play until my sisters gave me these record albums.

I always liked combo jazz. I immediately liked Vince Guaraldi's crossover hit, "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" released in 1962. The Brubeck album reinforced my attraction to combo jazz (as opposed to big band) and when "A Charlie Brown Christmas" debuted on TV in 1965 featuring the Vince Guaraldi Trio, I was ecstatic. It was small group jazz performed by a busy and experienced Bay Area jazz trio.

A few years ago after I got back into vinyl and started accumulating LPs, I picked up a reissue of "A Charlie Brown Christmas." I was surprised by the clarity and sound quality. I had become used to the somewhat murky and noisy music soundtrack of the TV broadcast. The LP arrived in the mail about the same time the TV special was broadcast, and it confirmed to me that the LP was recorded in a tight, low noise studio venue while the TV soundtrack was more typical of TV sound with a higher noise level. It could be that I noticed the noise more because my video surround system is a bit more "ruthlessly revealing" than a 1960s TV console with a single 4" speaker.

Anyway, I'm glad I bought the album because the song list and song lengths are complete and the sound quality is surprisingly good.

Archived