Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anybody got a cheap acoustic?

Maybe a reverb Seagull? I think if I had to do it again I would rather learn on an electric, the strings are thinner and the action is generally lower.

6 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

This guy's assbackwards - he already has 2 electrics.

I dunno, I learned on a giant neck, nylon string classical guitar and I must say, once you build up the finger strength cording, stretching and maneuvering on one of those, you can fly on electrics... Does it have to be a new acoustic?.. Because I see used one's all the time at my local Goodwill and I must say, I've seen some pretty decent ones there from time to time... good luck with your quest 😉

59 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

I dunno, I learned on a giant neck, nylon string classical guitar and I must say, once you build up the finger strength cording, stretching and maneuvering on one of those, you can fly on electrics... Does it have to be a new acoustic?.. Because I see used one's all the time at my local Goodwill and I must say, I've seen some pretty decent ones there from time to time... good luck with your quest 😉

I agree with this, but there is also the bit where a difficult to play guitar makes you want to just forget it and listen instead. I learned on an old Harmony archtop and it definitely made electric playing easier, but if the guy has 2 electrics already then a more difficult to play guitar doesn't seem like the magic bullet he's waiting for.

49 minutes ago, jim777 said:

but if the guy has 2 electrics already then a more difficult to play guitar doesn't seem like the magic bullet he's waiting for.

Agreed, but also sometimes a larger fretboard makes it somewhat easier to "see" & position your fingers for chording... who knows, maybe he just wants to learn how to play Dust in the Wind 😉

I had a cheap acoustic for years that I rarely played. Didn't think I needed a decent one since it wouldn't get used. Then one day I found a seriously beat up Taylor 114 (Taylor's low end series) for cheap and I liked the sound and feel. I play it more than anything else now. 

I'm not really recommending any specific brand, but I wouldn't buy a low end acoustic without playing it first. Cheap electrics tend to play fairly decent these days and you can always swap pickups and change amps and effects. An acoustic sounds how it sounds. If it doesn't sound or feel good, it will just collect dust.  

I have this one up for sale on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/16104660-guild-westerly-collection-jumbo-junior-natural

Nearly new Guild.  I'll cut you a deal if he's interested. We could probably avoid shipping as well.

Otherwise, I agree on the Seagull recommendations.  Exceptional value for low$.

19 hours ago, texwest said:

One of my guitar students got one of these for about $160 new. It seemed pretty awesome to me with a solid Spruce top and a bone nut I thought it was very well built and sounded good for a hundred and sixty bucks.  https://www.recordingking.com/p/ros-9-ts

I was just about to suggest the RKs as well.   I find most people liking them quite a bit even more so when factoring the price. 

I just picked up one of these for about $200.

https://reverb.com/item/17616448-recording-king-ro-t16-brb-torrefied-red-spruce-top-000-brown-burst

The pics make it look for pink/rosy than it is.  It's more of a maroon.  I was really impressed - really nice for what it is.  It needed a proper set up.  But before I sent it off to get the bridge adjusted, I thought the mid-lows all the way up just bloomed nicely.  I can't wait to get it back.  

Here's another model that is also reasonably priced:

https://reverb.com/item/16708950-recording-king-rph-p2-ts-dirty-30-s-cross-country-parlor-acoustic-guitar-regular-natural

I have a Takamine Model EF341SC that I'm selling but it is a little above your price range. These are fine guitars, you might want to look at one in their more basic series. When I first started playing guitar I bought one of their Jasmine guitars, I would stay away from that model.

I have a nice barely used Applause acoustic electric I'd be willing to let go for super cheap.  Not looking to make a profit by any means.  The shipping is my only concern.  It does have a hard case.

• 2 weeks later...

My first acoustic was a straight up piece of shit no name.  The neck started bowing shortly after I got it and the action got extremely high.  Threw it away.  What a pile of junk that was.

Archived