Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Which Hamer has the biggest neck?

Travis

My 2000 Newport neck feels about the size of a Strat; meaty-round, but not wide. My '89 Cali feel like a Suhr modern carve, not as shredder-thin as a wizard neck, but pretty fast nonetheless. I think the reason I've liked the Suhr necks I've played is precisely because they're the only necks that felt as comfortably familiar to my hand as my Cali. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 4:30 PM, Disturber said:

I sold an Artist Korina HB that had a neck that was to fat and uncomfortable. I prefer the 1995 neck carves Ive tried, a little wider and medium in fatness. The Vintage carve necks I have now are fat but not beer gut and man tits fat, more like beer handles fat, which is okay but not optimal. The old Standards I have have more narrow, but quite fat, necks. They smoke, killer carves!

Agreed. My Monaco Elite neck is too chunky even for my snow shovel sized hands. My 1991 Sunburst has a wide, thin neck. My Tally neck is comfortable, etc.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:35 AM, The Shark said:

I remember BCR Greg telling me about a special order of Juniors/Specials that had really large '58 Les Paul size necks.  I have a blonde Studio I got from Bubs that's the biggest I've had.

Mv8hNbI.jpg

Man, that’s gorgeous! I have an Artist Custom that’s very similar, but the double-cream is a great look.

Back on topic, I have an ‘05 Studio Custom that’s got the biggest neck of any Hamer I’ve played. Really surprised me the first time I picked up that guitar.

I’m going to say a Chap V Bass...34” scale and that’s a heftier neck profile than most 8 and 12 strings!  😜

I've got one of the few black Spruce-topped Newports (00?) and was ordered with a Baseball neck profile.  BCR Greggles custom ordered it for shop stock, with creme binding and hold hardware (Lucille-ish).  Sold pretty quick; to LA-pro tonejunkie iirc. 

I had a TLE Custom which had a neck that was too big and square feeling for me to play - deep, wide, and just square feeling to me :) I sold it quite quickly after buying it - which in retrospect might have been a bit of a duff move, as it was as cool as hell - but I just couldn't play it very well :(

Archived