Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Have you ever given a guitar away ? —for example, as a present to someone you appreciate

zorrow

Several years ago I gave to my brother a custom 88 Vector for his birthday. I did like that guitar, but the neck was a bit too thin for my tastes and I’m not very fond on gold hardware anyway.

My brother is a shredder and all he plays is Strats and Super-Strats, but for some reason my Vector caught his eye too. I’m putting some pics below for your appreciation.

When I bought that beast, it costed me exactly 1K. I finally gave it to my little brother, knowing it would be well-cared, played and loved in his hands.

Have you guys ever done anything like that?

E0A029FF-B876-4F1F-9E3B-A50BE453C6BD.jpeg

AC577BAA-4E7C-44EC-BE2D-6802BB6C844B.jpeg

FD82658E-1B3C-411F-8D9E-D0DF75058EE9.jpeg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zorrow, you browser obviously has the same Vector genes than you. It simply is a family thing. B)

And, sure, that was a nice gesture. Your brother also is a great guy. I remember him from the Musikmesse HFC-EU meeting a few years back.

I gifted a Gibson American Eagle acoustic to my brother's son-in-law in 2017. He had just finished his doctorate, so I figured this would be a good way to set him off in the right direction. Funny thing is (unbeknownst to me), he told my brother the first thing he was going to do to celebrate his doctorate was, "buy a really nice Gibson acoustic.”

Life is pretty good when you have so much stuff that you can just give away guitars. It's a good feeling.

I won two guitars.  The first one is still with me as it is my trophy for 30 years of entering contests and never winning a guitar.  The other was given to a girl who wanted to learn to play.  It went to murkat for a little work, and it got a nice case before being handed off. 

I gave my brother a guitar as a birthday present once, and have lent a few guitars rather permanently to colleagues who were picking up the habit.  

On the guitar receiving end, Mrs. Toadroller has obliged me on Christmas many times over (I sometimes wonder if she or I have bought more of my collection?).  I also once helped a sales rep land his biggest deal ever.  He got me a Taylor 514 as a thank you (and, wow, what a generous thank you!), and he got himself a Porsche 911 turbo as well.  It was a big deal.

I've had a few broken guitars in dire need of triage given to me through the shop that I've put back together. To really give them post-bench life again, I've given them to a local children's music school.

Yea, I've given away a few guitars over the last 5 yrs.

Here are a few.

All these were given to different young musicians in my church

'94 MIM Fender Flip Flop Strat

13632307913_10e8133477_b.jpg

'05 Larrivee D-03R

14965385068_34d15b2047_b.jpg

'02 MIM Fender Classic Tele

21587039613_a9c4e8b5d6_b.jpg

'04 Tele Partscaster

12421291464_984b681471_b.jpg

'90's Charvel  Strat

2013-05-24_18-59-02_439_zpsa2a1c3ca.jpg

A guy 'down on his luck' walked into my wife's church asking for help. They gave him a couple hundred bucks and he walked out with one of their guitars as a thank you. I donated an Ovation to replace it.

My nephew lost his leg and through the military got into their guitar lessons program (can't think of the name of it offhand). I gave him a PRS SE-EG with the stipulation that if he quit he had to give it to another vet.

I gave my brother the Alvarez acoustic guitar I started on when I was 8. Born in ‘78, probably an ‘85-‘86 model. It wasn’t expensive at all but it was my first. 

Long-term loaned one to a fella in way-north British Columbia after a divorce cleaned him out.  His igloo burned down with the guitar in it. 

Nice American-made Epi Wilshire, it was.  He tried to make it up to me but, really, he couldn't bring that guitar back so I chalked it up to experience.

Gave another to a young friend who is a card-carrying prodigy when he was about 11.  Watching that kid go has been one of the biggest joys of my life.

My situation's a bit different.  The ones I've given away were autographed by noted players/bands. The Vintage Guitar Magazine home office has a couple. Others have been donated for local raffles like one for the local high school's campaign to buy new uniforms. 

That said, my blood pressure still goes up a bit when I think about a then 25-year old unique American-made solidbody I sent to a non-profit tourist facility in another state several years ago as a goodwill gesture for a planned writing project that would have entailed research there. It was to be autographed by a certain non-musical celebrity affiliated with the organization, then the non-profit was to auction or raffle it off. 

Not only did the writing project not work out, but the non-profit never acknowledged receipt of the instrument (and I hand-delivered it their representative, not at the facility, however). So I couldn't write it off. 

It was an instrument I liked and would still have otherwise, and this unfortunate incident really threw cold water on my enthusiasm for such projects for some years, but I ultimately started again at closer places.

Call me old-fashioned, but "thank you" is not an archaic term.

My cousin just turned fifty.  He's fought substance abuse for his adult life.  He's on the right track.  I gave him an Ibanez Performer Series custom Bubinga guitar that I found in a pawn shop.  He's playing again.  For the first time in thirty years!  I love him.

I have long time friend that is a fantastic player, about 20 years older then me. He can listen to a song on the radio, then pick out shortly after, played in many bands over his life time. He has taught me quite a bit. He always dug my Hamer Junior & talked about an old Gibson he had in the 70's (it was a late 50's) , when I ran across a late model Gibson Junior in TV junior I had to get it for him. He was very shocked, many years a ago I got him a MIJ Strat as well. At the time he only had a Tele,an old Peavey T-60, & a 80's Martin. He plays the Junior in church most weeks now rotating the with the Tele. 

16 hours ago, zorrow said:

E0A029FF-B876-4F1F-9E3B-A50BE453C6BD.jpeg

AC577BAA-4E7C-44EC-BE2D-6802BB6C844B.jpeg

FD82658E-1B3C-411F-8D9E-D0DF75058EE9.jpeg

Dang Zorro, you own two of my favorite Hamer's... well, I mean you and your brother... this one and your Schenker V...

The two guitars I'm pretty sure will never make it back to the US... 😉

12 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

Yea, I've given away a few guitars over the last 5 yrs.

Here are a few.

All these were given to different young musicians in my church

'94 MIM Fender Flip Flop Strat

13632307913_10e8133477_b.jpg

'05 Larrivee D-03R

14965385068_34d15b2047_b.jpg

'02 MIM Fender Classic Tele

21587039613_a9c4e8b5d6_b.jpg

'04 Tele Partscaster

12421291464_984b681471_b.jpg

'90's Charvel  Strat

2013-05-24_18-59-02_439_zpsa2a1c3ca.jpg        SKIP, Your thoughtfulness and generosity exceeds your guitar collection....which isn't a easy thing to do!:)

Yeah..............awhile back a very good friend lost his main ride after many years of ownership at the hands of a thief. A very cool guitar it was having accumulated all the "MOJO" that only comes from years of playing on the road doing tons of gigs.It was a old beat up and worn "PARTSCASTER" but that guitar was spectacular. I tried to sell  a guitar I owned, then tried to trade it for something close to what he owned just to get something  what he had back again..............just about had it but it was not to be...............least not that one, About that time several other friends of his and mine we all got together and donated money and sold some other gear that we really did not need and got him his "TELE" back. I did not give him a guitar by myself but with the help of others got him the guitar he now owns.

47 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Dang Zorro, you own two of my favorite Hamer's... well, I mean you and your brother... this one and your Schenker V...

The two guitars I'm pretty sure will never make it back to the US... 😉

Thanks, mate!

As of going back to the US, why not? I mean, for a visit. :D For example, I’m open to bringing the Schenker to a jam in the US. Maybe one day this will happen, and if we cross paths there, you’ll play it!

My brother’s guitar, that’s another story. He lives in Luxembourg, in Europe. I’m sure however he would not have a problem in lending it to @gorch for a ride. I know Germany isn’t the US, but he’s still one of us. ;) 

Next treat would be: Have you ever given a wife away ? :-)

Serious: I have to shame myself but you can get everything from me except my guitars.. Only one (Ovation) has disappeared in the room of my daughter and have never been seen again...

Archived