Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Blended heel thoughts?

Travis

I was going back through some old threads on Mirage I’s and II’s, thinking about my Mirage and a neck-through Charvel I have and it got me thinking. 

I don’t really spend all that much time in the upper registers where a blended heel makes that big of a difference to me vs even the bulkiest of bolt-ons...

Can’t imagine that a blended heel affects tone or stability all that much when done right  

So for me, is a blended heel really all that functional, a cool aesthetic that most nobody else will notice, an extra step of craftsmanship by the builder, or just kind of a waste?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Like you, I'm hardly a shredder, high-frets visitor.  So for me, they're aesthetic and do show the builder's craft.  I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers...

Looking around, my Ibanez Paul Gilbert FRMs have one, and if Paul wants it, he can damned well have it!  It probably makes a huge functional difference to him.

I am also a big fan. Hope to be putting this one thru the paces very soon. To me, it is both a nice artistic/finishing touch and a playability issue. I think it is important to have a deep set neck for stability and sustain, all the more so with a double cutaway.

shishkov26.jpg

I've never really noticed it while playing honestly. Whether it's smooth or not, the heel is still a place where you're going to have some degree of issues with the wood thickness. Whether it's carefully sculpted or not doesn't matter for me.

There are only three words I have for blended heels; "Watson", "Mirage I" and "Impact".  

I agree on the others comments. 

I do like them.

Hamerica

On 12/21/2018 at 7:19 PM, Bloozguy said:

You mean to tell me that people actually play up there?

I do. I figure if it has 22 (or 24) frets, they are there to be used. A blended heel makes playing up there so much easier. A double cutaway makes it even better. 

As pointed out...if a player never plays above the 17th fret and/or uses their pinky finger up there then they’ll likely never fully appreciate both the aesthetic and functional beauty that is the Mirage I blended heel.  I like a blended heel personally, but a traditional heel certainly isn’t a deal breaker on my other Hamers.

Archived