Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Nostalgia: Acoustic G 60/100 T

JochenP

I got older and remember the "good old times" of the youth:

My first "real amp" was the acoustic G 100 T 112 W in the middle of the 80´s.  In this time some great guitar player use acoustic amps: Zappa etc..

Now I think about to buy one again. (Have owned a G 60 T Top some years ago)..

So here is my question: Most of those amps have EV 12L inside. If I remember correctly it sounds "loud and hard"..  Some acoustic users here who use other speakers in their amps? (Just playing at home! I know: 100 Watt.. but my house is alone, next neighbour is far away :-)

I had one of these (an Acoustic 165) back in the day. It came from the factory with an EVM12L and it was a bit harsh sounding. I replaced the EVM with a JBL D120F that had a felt dust cover in place of the stock aluminum and the sound was a bit smoother and warmer.

Had I been more aware of characteristics back then, I would likely have swapped out the 6L6GCs and some of the 12AX7s for something with a bit less gain (perhaps a 5751).

Acoustic 165 front.JPG

I’ve been using a Fishman that is tri amped and it really sounds incredible with my Adamas’s and Ovations. The woofers is only 8” but from the sound you would swear it’s an 18” speaker. Any of their amps are gonna sound good but since you want to crank it I’d go with the 100 watt pro model and let the party begin : )

Just to mention and to avoid confusion, there's amps made for specifically amplifying acoustic guitars, then there's amps that were made for electric guitars by an amp company named Acoustic, such as JochenP's Acoustic G 60/100P and Bloozguy's Acoustic 165.  Albert King used to use solid-state Acoustic-brand amps with his Flying Vs:

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/Tone-Tips/albert-king-his-10-best-422/

12 hours ago, Dutchman said:

My bad 

:-) of course are "acoustic amps" (USA) no amps for acoustic guitars..

In the 70´s the company build some bass amps which are still collectable ( for example 370..).

Tube Guitar amps start around 1980 : Modell 164 and 165 (wood) with switchable MosFet. After "rework"  the "G" series are  "Top of the line" amps: G 100 T 112 W  (no realy great name..) means: Guitar 100 Watt Tube 1x12 speaker Wood . (compare with Boogie MKI and Dumble)

The acoustic amps where discontinued middle of the 80´s. (like my other favourite the Music Man RD Series..)

Archived