Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Dantzig Tulsa

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

So why all the bitterness?  It just makes you seem, well ... bitter. 

No bitterness. Just calling a spade a spade. Sorry (not sorry) I didn't express myself like a new-age eunuch.

And yeah, that Baker is a great guitar....for $350. A penny more? Hot garbage.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:21 AM, The Shark said:

I like the single cut Tele-Paul guitars, but a two piece body is something I'd balk at.  I like mine better and it was just north of 4K...

e9CQRGq.jpg

Is that a Gustavsson...?

2 hours ago, The Shark said:

It goes back to Mike, if I ever sell it.  It's just an exemplary guitar in all respects. 

ALWAYS set up a sale with dibs. You can change your mind later!!! ...or not. 😉

5 minutes ago, atomicwash said:

ALWAYS set up a sale with dibs. You can change your mind later!!! ...or not. 😉

He said that it's mine when he dies.
So I'm going to kill him.

How's that for dibs?

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, MCChris said:

As opposed to laying it directly on gravel or asphalt, or up against a truck tire?

I like the guitar.  The inlays are a bit hokey but I'd definitely trade my Talladega straight up for it.  I agree 100% with Dutchman.  Selling a guitar for +5000 and you're laying directly on paved surface?  A truck tire or railroad track and railroad tie would not bother me as those are smooth surfaces.  Asphalt, rock, or gravel should knock $1000 off of a $4000 guitar bringing the total to $3000.

Just now, kizanski said:

He said that it's mine when he dies.
So I'm going to kill him.

How's that for dibs?

Good plan.

After that post, you should watch Strangers on a Train. Crisscross with another HFC dibs planner. 

Still one of my favorite "Baker" builds...    ;)

bakerlp91412full.jpg

16 hours ago, MCChris said:

"Interesting" is subjective, and yes, some of us (myself included) do take it personally because we've found Jol to be an insufferable cockhead who played a major role in torpedoing the Hamer brand. However, at the end of the day, it's all about looking at something and asking yourself, "can I justify the price of this item?" With these guitars, the answer is a resounding "no" for me. They remind me of Bakers: aesthetically unappealing, borderline clumsily executed (to my layman's eye) and damn sure not worth several thousand dollars new, let alone used.

One man's opinion, worth what you paid for it (considerably less than a Baker or a Dantzig).

12 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

Yes indeed. Subjective. This whole thing is subjective. I would say whoever was in charge of marketing sank the Hamer brand. If that was Jol then there is a problem there. I'm sure ,just like everyone his time at Hamer had good and bad points. I'm sure all of these expensive guitars have good and bad points as well. So why all the bitterness?  It just makes you seem, well ... bitter. 

I'm sure there's blame to go around... but it is never a good sign when the guy who's name is on the door sells out. Still, I worked at a dealer in the mid to late 90s, and our Kaman rep was really enthusiastic about the USA end of the Hamer brand. We had Ibanez and Washburn, so we didn't really go in for the import Hamers. I always felt like they were a bad idea: don't cheapen your brand by slapping the same name on lower quality guitars (are you listening PRS?). Gibson did well in that regard with Epiphone, but I wish they had been better overall. Our higher end Gibsons sold a lot of USA Hamers, just by being an excellent yardstick to compare to! We once received a Les Paul Standard Plus or whatever they were calling it, with a neck that wasn't set straight! 

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:41 PM, Travis said:

Is that a Gustavsson...?

It's an Ian Anderson Standard.  Don't ever do business with him.  But his guitars are fantastic.  Made me wait five years for a Flying V that I paid for, basically, up front.  If you find one used, you owe it to yourself to try one. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is anything unappealing about this one:

zfy3rozkglldvyosmlke.jpg

At $4,750.00 it's less money than a comparable Huber or other "uber-boutique" builder guitar.  As divisive as Jol seems to be here, I don't recall anyone questioning his formidable skill at building guitars.  I'd love to spend an hour or so with this one. 

2 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

At $4,750.00 it's less money than a comparable Huber or other "uber-boutique" builder guitar.  As divisive as Jol seems to be here, I don't recall anyone questioning his formidable skill at building guitars.  I'd love to spend an hour or so with this one. 

Don't like it.
Way too Washburn Idol.
g1.jpg~original

Actually, the Washburn is nicer.

13 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

zfy3rozkglldvyosmlke.jpg

At $4,750.00 it's less money than a comparable Huber or other "uber-boutique" builder guitar.  As divisive as Jol seems to be here, I don't recall anyone questioning his formidable skill at hiring people to build his guitars.  I'd love to spend an hour or so with this one. 

Corrected that for you.

On 1/12/2019 at 9:52 AM, BadgerDave said:

zfy3rozkglldvyosmlke.jpg

I like that too.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:52 AM, BadgerDave said:

zfy3rozkglldvyosmlke.jpg

If we didn't have Shishkov Custom Guitars, I would be all over that one.

Archived