Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I NEED TO CHOOSE or WHAT WOULD YOU SELL

rugby1970

Hopefully I can find a bit of guidance here. I've finally figured out that:

1. I'm getting old.
  2. Will never be a rock star.
  3. My hands are too damaged to play certain guitars.
  4. I could use the money for other purposes.

So, I'm selling a whole bunch of my stuff. No, this is not a four sale ad. My hands can play my Fender American Telecaster and Gibson ES 335 fairly easily. The Tele neck is very fast, smooth and tremendously easy on the digits. The 335 neck is also fast and suits my left hand  nicely (not as nice as the Tele). My 2000 Taylor 310 is too hard to play. Looking at a Zager.

The question is which of my Hamers should I sell or keep? I have a Talladega, Newport, Monaco, Sunburst and Artist Custom. I don't get around fast enough on the Hamers and they are harder on my left hand to play than the Fender and Gibson. I have huge freakin' hands that have had many injuries, Arthuritis and carpal tunnel (somewhat fixed with surgery but it's not totally good). I was supposed to relax, play guitar and play golf in retirement; seems like that ship has sailed.

What would you do?

Sell the Hamers if you don't play them. That's a lot of money tied up in "Brand Loyalty." The Talladega would be first for me since it has the V neck and is basically a Tele. I'd keep the Newport 'till last. 

1 hour ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Sell the Hamers if you don't play them. That's a lot of money tied up in "Brand Loyalty." The Talladega would be first for me since it has the V neck and is basically a Tele. I'd keep the Newport 'till last. 

I hate to disagree with @Ting Ho Dung, but I would keep the Tally. Neckwise the other three models (at least the one I have) have pretty chunky necks, and the Tally feels most comfy... just my 2 cents...

17 minutes ago, Montelovesco said:

I hate to disagree with @Ting Ho Dung, but I would keep the Tally. Neckwise the other three models (at least the one I have) have pretty chunky necks, and the Tally feels most comfy... just my 2 cents...

I knew you'd chime in on that one, lol. 

33 minutes ago, Montelovesco said:

+1

Sell all the Hamers.  If a guitar is uncomfortable to play, what's the point in keeping it?    If  there's some investment/collectability angle you're holding back on, that might change the analysis.  

I'm Hamer free at the moment.   After playing an Ultimate with the perfect neck for me, I sold what Hamers I had and am having another Shishkov built for me.  Less is more at this point.

2 hours ago, Montelovesco said:

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

+1

Hellza matter with you two? The Tally hurts his hands and you're encouraging him to keep it?

In the end, if you can't play the guitar comfortably, there's no real reason to keep them, aside from them looking cool and sounding great. Ergonomics is very important in any type of playing.

For me, I find that my Studio is probably the most comfortable guitar I own. It just fits. I've really also gotta start going through guitars and deciding what needs to move on.

45 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I've really also gotta start going through guitars and deciding what needs to move on.

Ditto. I've decided to sell all my single-cuts (LPs). I've been playing my Hamers a LOT more, and am getting used to the easier upper fret access.

Potentially sell all of them. However, try before selling. You might want to keep one or two.

Like has been said keep the guitars you can use and sell the others you can't....................I know from experience that can be tough to do with guitars but no sense leaving that kind of money on the table for something you can't play and enjoy. Good Luck!:)

I’d go the “rational” route too. But if I had to choose a Hamer to stay, it’d be a Newport. I’ve never played a Tally, though.

I''m experiencing some of the same problems, from age, from various injuries through the years  (I've broken most of my fingers through the years), and from Dupuytren's contracture on the ring finger of the left hand. This stuff has really helped me, and you might consider talking to your doctor about it; the generic is inexpensive:

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac sodium topical gel) is a topical gel nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to treat pain of osteoarthritis of joints that are amenable to topical treatment, such the hands and knees.

Also, I've started playing lap steel, a big plus when it comes to playing comfort.

On 12/28/2018 at 6:06 PM, BubbaVO said:

I'm Hamer free at the moment.   After playing an Ultimate with the perfect neck for me, I sold what Hamers I had and am having another Shishkov built for me.  Less is more at this point.

This is what I need to do. Get rid of my Fender, partscaster, Peavey, And one Hamer to fund another killer Shish.

Rugby, If I we’re you, I’d sell the Hamers to fund a Shishkov. Then I’d mail Mike the Tele neck and tell him that is what I need neck-wise, to be able to play. I am certain he’d accommodate with a ridiculously great guitar that you are able to play easily.

Archived