Hamer Fan Club Message Center

whats the diff between a standard and a blitz?

neastguy

There are more differences between as if you compare The Sunburst and Special ..

"only" body shape is similar. Routing and PU different ; Blitz (first series) has 3+3 Head ....and so on...

Main difference : Price: Blitz under 1.000 $$.. Standard: up to... :-) 

(I think if you talk about "The Hamer Guitar" it would be the Standard)

IMG_7517.JPG

There are quite a few variations of the two however, for the most part the Blitz is made with a solid mahogany body and mahogany neck whereas the Standard is a mahogany body with usually "but not always" Flame a maple cap and maple neck... Both are great guitars!.. the Standard being the fancier of the two with binding & different inlays and such

1 hour ago, 0054 said:

Dave Scepter, I never thought/knew Standards have maple neck...

To my view, a Standard is very refined instrument in finishing details and tops... whereas the Blitz is more straightforward. I dig em both. I think Blitz have hotter pickups? I love the 3 on a side (ducking!) necks too!  

Yes, I love them both, every Standard I've played had a 3-piece Maple neck... I think we are both in the minority as I also like the 3x3 paddle headstock on both the Blitz and the early Vectors... FYI, there are some Blitz guitars that were made with Standard/ hockey headstocks... I've never measured but the more I think about it, I think you're right about hotter pickups on the Blitz & I have noticed my Blitz guitars do have a more beefy tone to them~ & perhaps I'm mixing up my Scepters w/ Standards having Maple necks... it's early 🙃

Personally between the two if I had a choice, I would pick a sustain block bridge Blitz over a Standard... 

The BASIC differences:

Standard: (Usually) one piece Honduras Mahogany body, mahogany neck (unless fitted with a Floyd); more complex neck joint; either bound flametop or very slightly bullnosed top (on Mahogany and Korina models); Toggle switch position on treble horn; V/V/T; 6-in-line headstock; pickguard on most Korina and post '95 Mahogany models; post-2007 Standards had body chambering

Blitz: Multi-piece mahogany body; mahogany neck (on 3x3 headstock models)/maple on later trem models; "production-friendly" neck joint; Toggle switch behind Tone pot; more dramatic body bullnose/edge rounding; 24-fret models available for a short while in the mid-1980s.

The Blitz was the cheaper, production version of the upscale Standard, but a solid guitar.

My old mahogany standard (‘97?) was a 2-piece body if I remember correctly and it was a tone monster. It got passed around here to several members over the years, not sure who ended up with it. 

The mid 90’s “medium” neck carve was comfortable and very playable. If it had a “vintage” carve I might never have sold it. 

It wasn’t flashy by any means, compared to some of the sick figured tops I’ve seen on here. But it was a killer guitar. It had the super solid build of the more upscale standards with the straight forward look of the blitz. 

57 minutes ago, Travis said:

My old mahogany standard (‘97?) was a 2-piece body if I remember correctly and it was a tone monster. It got passed around here to several members over the years, not sure who ended up with it. 

The mid 90’s “medium” neck carve was comfortable and very playable. If it had a “vintage” carve I might never have sold it. 

It wasn’t flashy by any means, compared to some of the sick figured tops I’ve seen on here. But it was a killer guitar. It had the super solid build of the more upscale standards with the straight forward look of the blitz. 

Love my mahogany Standard! Never noticed it had a multi piece body. Will have to check when I’m back home. P90s and mahogany are a great couple btw. Together, they create a nice depth in sound.

Found pics of my old standard. Can’t tell on my phone, but maybe it wasn’t a 2 piece body...

DSC03360.jpgDSC03359.jpgDSC03358.jpgDSC03357.jpg

DSC03356.jpg

9 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

There are quite a few variations of the two however, for the most part the Blitz is made with a solid mahogany body and mahogany neck whereas the Standard is a mahogany body with usually "but not always" Flame a maple cap and maple neck... Both are great guitars!.. the Standard being the fancier of the two with binding & different inlays and such

Never seen a Standrad with a maple neck?? Must have been a one off Floyded one. They all had mahogany necks. Or Korina, if it was a Korina Standard.

1 hour ago, Disturber said:

Never seen a Standrad with a maple neck?? Must have been a one off Floyded one. They all had mahogany necks. Or Korina, if it was a Korina Standard.

I misquoted, I got confused between the Standard and Scepters... it was early in the morning before my coffee and and got excited, wanted to be a big shot & contribute something to the topic, but I face planted... ended up looking like a total loser!.. 😆

As always with Hamer, there are exceptions to every rule!

Archived