Hamer Fan Club Message Center

HFC Frozen Jam 2019 at the 4-3-2-1 Club, Saturday, Jan. 26

BruceM

It's that time of the year again. You know the drill. This year's 16th installment of the Frozen Jam will take place on Saturday, January 26th at the 4-3-2-1 Club.

Any out of town guests want to hazzard a Minnesota winter?

Chili or gumbo?

We have an ample supply of wigs to warm the pates of the bald guests. It's time for more of this:

20181120-BruceMay.jpg

Bruce, we won't be able to make it up to 4321 for the Frozen Jam. Carmie has her choir concert on that weekend. We had a great time when we visited last time, so we'll look for opportunities to visit later in the year. Have fun!

15 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

I've had this on my bucket list for the last several years and would really like to attend. Gotta see how long the drive is from southwest Florida.

I've made the drive to/from South Florida a couple of times. You'll be at least 20 hours in the car, so plan a couple of days. :)  I live near the airport in Mpls. Hop a plane, and you'll have a tour guide when you get here.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:37 PM, BruceM said:

IMG_7955.jpg

The guys were warming my guitars, including my "new" Blitz Bass, and the basement in preparation for this upcoming shindig. Who else is coming over?

This looks like two neighbors trying to outdo each other through the wall.  😁

...and right on queue, the temperature has plummeted. Looks like the traditional Frozen Jam! Fear not, I do have a volunteer, so there will be grilled wienies with chili and queso. Almost time to get this party started. Now if I can just remember to not reflexively lock the back door.

WienersBrats.jpg

15 hours ago, mathman said:

Make a wish type dream here.  Make it to one of these...

13 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Ditto!

12 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Sounds like a helluva time to be had! One day I’ll make the trek!

I thought about making the journey this year. But God it's cold down there!

Looks like you all had a good time.

Saving my pennies for next year.

15 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

I dunno, looks like a sausage fest to me :ph34r:

Every 4-3-2-1 Club HFC Jam has been a sausage fest, without exception. Over the years, I've learned that you cannot go wrong with this crowd if you serve Everett's coarse wieners, queso dip, and chili or gumbo. It makes my life simpler because the I can cook these things in my sleep!

I've also done the math, and I've quoted this growing statistic here before. Since 2003, I've averaged 4 HFC parties per year. I'm now on my 16th year, so that's 64 parties. The sausage expense at this party was $43.21, and this was a small-ish party as far as 4321 jams go. Let's round up to $50 in sausage expense per party, and you'll see that over the years, I've spent $3200 to fuel the HFC, MN chapter. This is money well spent.

This morning, my brother, ScottM, texted me the photos that you see posted above, along with this comment: Helluva house band(s).

I was thinking about that this morning over coffee, as I tried to decide whether to have wieners and chili for breakfast (I didn't). I wanted to think that that I've built up this 4321 house band over those 16 years, but the truth is that the core players here were present at the very first Mpls HFC Jam in June, 2003. And when we met, it felt like we already knew each other because we had all been hanging out on the HFC for years. At that first party, although you may not have yet seen a pic of any specific person, you probably had seen a pic of THAT guitar that he brought online, and you couldn't wait to get your hands on it. And then the music started....and we've yet to finish.

I like to think of the group I'll list here as the Unholy Triumvirate:  Bill W, Sir Dan, Eric Weston and Carfish7(more affectionately known as Z). Yes, I know that's 4, but I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 of them on the 4321 stage at the same time. These are the guys that have reliably shown up for so many events over the years simply because they love to hang out together.  You could unleash any one of these guys on any room, and he would FIRE THE PLACE UP. Two of them together is unreal, but when you get 3 of them playing at the same time, it is MAGIC. This happened for hours last night. Sometimes I got to be in the middle of it, and sometimes I got to sit and listen. There's no place I'd rather be on a cold Saturday night.

And then there's the cast of supporting players. And don't get me wrong. If you didn't pick this up from the above paragraph, I'll state it here. The above players are the consummate supporting players. That's why they're so good together. They like laying back, playing rhythm and watching each other shine on lead guitar.

But there is another Unholy Triumvirate that shows up, and that's the drummers. We're lucky to have 3 very good drummers that cycle through the kit at most parties. They don't hang on this site, but they know what a Hamer guitar is. ha. Mike has been participating from the first party, and we've added Dave and Michael over the last 5 years or so. They really kick things into a higher gear, no matter what is being played. And then there's the supporting bass players, rhythm players, songwriters and everyone else. That would include yours truly, Robbie, ScottM and all of the celebrities that travel on a regular basis. You all know who you are.

And last but not least are the MIA locals. We ask about them every time, and we hope that they come back soon. Ray, Shredmeister(Bruce), Joe, Brad, TED(get back here, you big lug, once a year is not enough!!!), and I'm sure I'm missing some.

Helluva house band indeed. The Unholy Triumvirates? Nah, we'll stick with 4321 All-Stars.

I'd start planning the next sausage fest, but there's no planning necessary. These things just happen.

If you want instant celebrity status, just show up. You've got it. These guys can make YOU shine too.

Archived