Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone know how many T-51s were produced through the years?

McT51

image.jpeg.2cf504bafeb9a5a7848a3b3acc7fcd42.jpeg

Any old timers out there? CMatthes? Serial Steve?

Here is my '93. Best Tele I've ever owned including a real '56, real '67 and 2001 Nocaster... I am constantly amazed by the attention to detail and improvement upon the original design Hamer applied to this guitar. The natural finish was frequently found on Fender Broadcasters and  Nocasters. Mine weighs 7 pounds even and  rings like a bell. I installed Mojotone Broadaster Clone pickups (https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/TelecasterPickups_x/Mojotone-Broadcaster-Clone-Tele-Pickup) which I like much better than the original Duncans. The neck profile on mine is a soft "V" and measures 0.86 at the first fret, same as this chart indicates one would find on an early 50s Fender "Tele". Check out the grain on the back of mine. 

fenderneck.jpg

image.png.b58f009ef3950555c2e9530d9a3d7513.pnghmcc2bz5vih4hhods9w1.jpg

Very good question.  If “for sale” auctions/postings are indicative of production it does seem like 1993, 1994 and 1995 were the most common years followed by 1996 and a small amount made in 1997.  I’ve never seen anything before or after those years, but I wouldn’t be shocked if somewhere out there is a 1998 dated one that was perhaps ordered/started in IL only to be finished in CT.  I realize that doesn’t answer your question, nor is it a “scientific” observation, just the mindless ramblings of a dude who’s been buying/selling/watching USA Hamer for sale posts and auctions for many years 😁

I only have three guitars, but my '94 T51 has the best tone between it and my Newport and Cali. However, the Cali is much more fun to play, and the Newport looks the nicest and has some magic mojo. Also, the T51 has Rio Grandes and a Fender ashtray bridge, which, in my opinion, make it sound much better. I think the only thing that doesn't make the T51 my favorite is the neck is wider than I'd like. I'd swap it out, but I'm afraid it'll lose some of its wonderful tone, so I'm leaving it alone. 

Well, let me try another tact. Assuming there were approximately the same number of Daytonas produced over the years, any feel for how many Daytonas produced between 1993-1997?

Without the production logs from Hamer, I don't know how anyone could answer this. Is this leading into another question like `will these be collectible someday?` or `what are my odds of finding another one like mine?`

As far as collectibility probably not but that means you should be able to find them at reasonable prices. As a Fender-style built by a company known more for Gibson-style instruments it's a niche market at best. 

As far as finding another one like yours, ime that's pretty light for a T51 - most of the 93-95  ones I've played or owned have been northern ash and typically heavier (8-9 lbs) and I've never met one that had anything over a medium neck carve. I have a couple of 96 Daytonas that I think are alder but I'd guess they're still at least 8 lbs. The neck pockets are different from standard fender spec, so it's nearly impossible to find a replacement neck unless you swap between other Hamers. 

They are great guitars, but should be pretty reasonably priced if you can find another with specs you like or can tolerate.

Not a leading question, just a curious mind. I've owned T-51s from all the production years, and I agree most are heavier. I've only owned one lighter T-51 which was a 1994 at 6 pounds, 13 ounces, in Hillbilly Orange, but it's tone was no way near as good as this one.

I had a T-51 years ago. Sold it to fund my Tally. 

Killer playing guitar and it was surprisingly clean thru my 5150 on high gain. 

If I was a better clean player I would own another T-51 in a heartbeat...

I had a T-51 years ago. Sold it to fund my Tally. 

Killer playing guitar and it was surprisingly clean thru my 5150 on high gain. 

If I was a better clean player I would own another T-51 in a heartbeat...

this one was the one I had...

6E9ACD5E-99AC-4BD1-9669-CB528A8A054A.jpeg

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

I think that was mine at one time.  That looks like my photo sheet.  

Did you get that from me?

You know, I may have. I’m trying to remember. I had that T-51 about 10-11 years ago. Did a search to see if I could find the for sale thread where I picked it up. I know for sure I got it off of the forum and not somewhere else. 

It was a monster player but it just wasn’t my style at the time. In retrospect I should’ve learned to be a better guitarist and used it for all of its capabilities. 

22 hours ago, Travis said:

You know, I may have. I’m trying to remember. I had that T-51 about 10-11 years ago. Did a search to see if I could find the for sale thread where I picked it up. I know for sure I got it off of the forum and not somewhere else.

Well, it was definitely mine at one point.  I knew I recognized that backdrop.

DSC_2561.JPG

DSC_2547.JPG

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Well, it was definitely mine at one point.  I knew I recognized that backdrop.

DSC_2561.JPG

DSC_2547.JPG

I would say 99% sure I got it from you then. I don’t still have the pic you just posted but this one might close the case on it...

75AB4592-6DBD-441E-8026-8914239CAB52.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Travis said:

I would say 99% sure I got it from you then. I don’t still have the pic you just posted but this one might close the case on it...

75AB4592-6DBD-441E-8026-8914239CAB52.jpeg

Case closed.

DSCN9865.JPG

DSC_2552.JPG

Archived