Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wiring an Dimarzio ONONON Switch with two singles

bubs_42

Question

So I have a tele that I turned into a Nashville Tele, I'm not that big on the 5 way switch so I want to use the three way. I figured I could have the standard B/BN/N but then wire the  Neck and the Middle to an ONONON Switch so I can switch between the Middle/MN/N. 

I"m really only looking to have B/BN/N then flip the switch so I can have B/BM/M the extra middle position of the ONONON should yield being able to have the M/N option if I want to us it. 

So not that i've confused the hell out of you, the guys that know what i'm looking for can answer my question. :)

11 answers to this question

@cynic thats another great option. I ended up wiring it the way I though it would work and position one and three work, but for some reason the middle does not turn on both pickups. That being said, I really didn't need that option so I got what I need for now. 

Switch #1 Position is B/BN/N

Switch#3 Position is B/BM/M 

I'm good with that. I had to fill some pick guard screw holes so tomorrow I'll get to string it up and set the pickup heights. The guitar was modded with grovers and I was going to convert it back but I think i'll just leave them on for now or not. I sleep on that one. LOL 

I read that as 'Dimarzio Onion Switch' and thought WTF is he doing now?!?

What about the 6-way Jimmy Page switch?

image.png

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Free-Way_Pickup_Switch.html

@hamerhead in my experience the more options you have the less you will use them. LOL I wanted the typical tele switching, but I wanted to have the option to put the middle in. I used a Tele and a Hamer Protoype with a middle pickup instead of the neck pickup and this will get me those options. Heading down to the workshop now to finish up. 

I am REALLY tempted to score a FreeWay switch for my old '81 LP Custom.  I haven't heard any reviews from people here, so not sure it's worth the plunge or not, but it might get me to overhaul that one and start playing it again.

MyLesPaulReedSmith (1).jpg

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

...it might get me to overhaul that one and start playing it again.MyLesPaulReedSmith (1).jpg

If not, I know where you can send it.
I'm recently in the market for a nice Les Paul.

23 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

@cmatthes ever think about doing the Frampton Mod? Convert one of knobs into a blend knob so you can blend in the Middle pup? 

One of the tone pots pulls up to do that on mine.

FreeWay switch is good, well made switch, feels okay under the hand. I wouldn't tour the world with it necessarily, it doesn't feel "that" bulletproof, but for we older less abusive, less pouring sweaty guys it's a cool option. Remember that three-pickup GCS SG/LP Custom in heritage cherry I posted on the shop's Facebook page a while ago? We put a FreeWay in it and it did the trick perfectly for all the HHH options you'd want.

16999211_1654961084806069_57381121258257

16997885_1654961088139402_33384071240134

17021880_1654961081472736_68064796836476

Archived