Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Long-Lost Phantom A5

Someone on the Hamer FB Group suggested that this was the place to put my post below—if anyone can locate this specific guitar (I didn’t want to put this in a WTB thread—I’m just hoping to locate at this point), I’m thinking this board can. 

I suspect many can relate to the events below.

Everyone has the guitar they wish they’d never sold.  Mine happens to be a 1983 Hamer Phantom A5 (midnight metallic blue/Kahler vibrato bridge).  I acquired this guitar when I was 14 (did house painting prep and the rest was a gift from my parents).  It was purchased from EM Shorts Guitars in Wichita, Kansas and was my only guitar during early/formative years of playing.  When I was in my early 20s and thought I was in need of cash, I made the foolish/regrettable decision of selling this guitar to a co-worker.

Fast-forward 20 years.  I made contact with the former co-worker—he still had the Hamer.  I asked him to be sure and contact me first if he ever decided to part with it.  He assured me he would.  A couple years later, I again followed up with him, but he wouldn’t respond.  I came to find out that he had pawned the guitar, it had then been put on ebay and had been sold a mere four days prior to my follow-up inquiry. 

I made contact with an ebay representative to see if I could track down the purchaser—he said he could not give me that information but, after hearing my story, he agreed to provide the purchaser with my contact info.  I never heard anything back.  The ebay sale took place on April 12, 2012.  The only other thing I know about the purchaser is that they are likely in Ohio.

I’m now making another run at trying to locate this guitar—hope springs eternal.  It has a 3x3 headstock, an EMG-81 in the bridge and an EMG–SA in the neck position.  The bridge single coil switch does not function due to the EMG installation.  The pictures I saw on ebay in 2012 (after the auction had ended) show some chips on the neck and body—this guitar was played and I would describe it as being in fair condition (indeed, it went for less than $550).  Obviously, other mods may have been made since 2012 and the guitar could have changed hands again many times over.  Just putting the ask out there that if anyone comes across a guitar fitting this description to send me a note/post a pic.

Many thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, Allthewayto11 said:

Someone on the Hamer FB Group suggested that this was the place to put my post below—if anyone can locate this specific guitar (I didn’t want to put this in a WTB thread—I’m just hoping to locate at this point), I’m thinking this board can. 

Hey man, that was me. Good luck with your search!

Whew, I as sweating that out until you said khaler. Good luck on your search, it would easier if you had a serial #, since pickups can be changed out, switches can be fixed if you know what I mean. Any marks, chips, dings, scratches that you can think of would help too. 

Good luck on your quest. You never know until you give it a shot. Hope you can bring it back where it will be loved! I traded in a Telecaster that I bought used around 1978 (guessing at least a late 60's model maybe older) for a Les Paul law suit guitar. Gave in to crap from friends, too twangy, your missing a fret there buddy, you need humbuckers, damn did I says friends, now that I realize what is gone forever more like bastards!!!

Hope you can get it back! Godspeed! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived