Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Thinking of maybe expanding my Hamer collection...but which direction?

draelyc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A P-90 guit would be a smart choice, I think, since I've got the dual 'bucker thing going with the Studio.  That clip is tasty, too ~ thanks!

Only two obstacles to overcome that I see:  one, saving up the scratch, and two, finding one with the specs I'd want that's up for sale. :) 

I very much appreciate all the replies, y'all!  Most helpful! 🖖

43 minutes ago, draelyc said:

A P-90 guit would be a smart choice, I think, since I've got the dual 'bucker thing going with the Studio.  That clip is tasty, too ~ thanks!

Only two obstacles to overcome that I see:  one, saving up the scratch, and two, finding one with the specs I'd want that's up for sale. :) 

I very much appreciate all the replies, y'all!  Most helpful! 🖖

Don't shy away from the Bigsby version, my Newport stays in tune just fine. It you don't want to use tlit it will stay out of your way. You can't go wrong with the Newport IMO! There are a few available from my window shopping experience. Good luck. Second choice would be the Mahogany Artist or Vanguard, same guitars but a name change. 

The Korina Special Junior ain't no slouch either! 

1 hour ago, draelyc said:

finding one with the specs I'd want :) 

What's your favorite type of music do you like to play?.. because speaking for myself, I do not like to stray too far away from the tone that's in my head

9 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

What's your favorite type of music do you like to play?.. because speaking for myself, I do not like to stray too far away from the tone that's in my head

I'm rock & blues guy, at heart.  Big fan of '70s stuff, from folk to prog & proto-metal.  I came of age in the '80s, but I've already got an Ibanez RG470, so my hair-metal pointy-guitar needs are covered, lol!  As I've mellowed into middle age, I like much smoother tones these days, but still with enough bite to cut through.  I think that's what caught my ear about the Newport Pro clips I just went through. :) But you make a good point about that core tone we all have in our heads.  So I guess "something different" but "not too different" is what I'm after for my next axe.  Natch.

A early Hamer "Sunburst"....................."DOT" neck or "BOUND & CROWNED" its hard to go wrong. It won't be cheap...................nothing really great ever is, but what a wonderful guitar you will have.:)

2 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

What’s not cheap about $350?

That's the offering price:)................................not the getting price.;)

4 hours ago, geowolves said:

Don't shy away from the Bigsby version, my Newport stays in tune just fine. It you don't want to use tlit it will stay out of your way. You can't go wrong with the Newport IMO! There are a few available from my window shopping experience. Good luck....

t50tkoafoauiilkgup5j.jpg

A bargain on Reverb.

Just a note of caution, as much as I love P90s, you may find the a P90 Newport is about as rare as hen's teeth.   That said, the standard Newport's show up often enough at decent prices that you should not be shy.  And although you have a dual HB guitar, I promise you the Newport has its own thing going on.

I’ve been on a fill the Hamer section roll myself... The Monaco lll and the Duotone are the next on the list... and there actually is a list. If I could afford it I’d be talking to Kiz... that Newport is incredible!!! I really really  love love my P90 Korina artist... so I’ll suggest that !!!

12 hours ago, draelyc said:

That explain it ~ I never heard of a "spruce top Newport" because that's just what they were.  Makes sense. 👍

So I just watched all three of this guy's demos of the Newport, and … man, this may be the one to work towards! 💡

The Newport is a perfect guitar!

Learn that! B)

20 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Californian. Everybody needs one good shredder in the pile.

Junior. Everybody needs one good flat-out rock and roll machine in the pile.

Standard. Everybody needs one good massive amount of flashy lumber in the pile.

Monaco Elite. Everybody needs a better Les Paul in the pile.

Daytona. Everybody needs a better Strat in the pile.

Duotone. Everybody needs a Swiss Army Knife in the pile.

19 hours ago, draelyc said:

So... the consensus of this august board is … all the Hamers.  I should get all the Hamers.

Welp, that was my first instinct, too, so there ya go!  :lol:

But for the sake of baby steps, I was thinking a Standard would at least be different enough from the ones I have to "justify" adding it.

Then again, an Artist is on my bucket list.   But I've been thinking of that as a "some day" kind of purchase, I guess because the list price was so high when they were new...

Yes, the consensus is buy any USA Hamer and you should get all USA Hamers.  

If your going to "Dave Ramsey" your purchase(s) then I agree the Standard should be considered.

It's good to have choices.

Now if you want to get "specialized"  the Korina Vee especially the limited edition ones are a must.  

Oh, then there is the Watson.

Hamerica

Speaking of Korina Vectors... If you're in the market, I highly recommend this one as it is a limited edition and was the last guitar to leave Arlington Heights plus it was signed by the crew under the pickguard thus making it a interesting piece of history as well as a rockin guitar... it's basically a new guitar not to mention that Steve "the cellar" is a really cool guy to deal with~

I've actually been thinking of selling my Korina Vector just to fund this one

Hamer Korina Vector #002 https://reverb.com/item/199707-hamer-korina-vector-002?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

A wrap-tail Eclipse because

1. No one said it yet

2. Incredibly comfortable on a strap

3. Unpopular = major bargain

4. Mini humbuckers are a little different - mine has excellent Antiquities

5. One step closer to the 'every Hamer' goal

22 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Indeed!  Thing is, it's gonna be at least a year before I'm ready to buy … gotta save up the scratch first, gnome sane?

Good luck with the sale!

4 hours ago, cynic said:

Three words:  Sustain Block Special

Then sell or trade the Studio for your bucketlist Artist.

Then sell the Mirage because after getting your Special and Artist you never play it anymore.

🙈 😱 🙅‍♀️  My Mirage has been my #1 for 20 years!

Plus, I kinda had it modded for a full sized bridge humbucker, so I doubt it would sell that easily anyway... 

1 hour ago, draelyc said:

Indeed!  Thing is, it's gonna be at least a year before I'm ready to buy … gotta save up the scratch first, gnome sane?

Good luck with the sale!

Probably not Johnny B's Newport we are just a bunch of enablers around here. If you have to raise the money keep your eyes open and good luck down the road. 

The Korina Special Juniors do not come up for sale often, it took me over a year to find mine which was a tipoff from another HFCer posting one for sale at a Music Store. Also there are a few BCR Juniors that are well loved also. Again they don't come up that often. Never say never and when the stars align all is good. The Eclipse is also a great underrated guitar. 

21 hours ago, geowolves said:

Probably not Johnny B's Newport we are just a bunch of enablers around here. If you have to raise the money keep your eyes open and good luck down the road. 

In case there's any misunderstanding, I was merely bird-dogging that Newport. The finish on that one is like new. However, I'm not a fan of swapping out Phat Cats for production line Duncans, and finding a replacement truss rod cover could be a bitch.

Maybe I'm spoiled. I bought my Newport when it was hot out of the factory, with handwound Phat Cats from Seymour Duncans Custom Shop, which were designed by Seymour Duncan himself, specifically for the Newport.

I've also had a 25th Anniversary Artist since 1999. It's a simple yet attractive platform, and for two pickups and a 3-say switch it has a wide range of available tones. It makes for a really nice-sounding jazz box without all the bulk and fragility. And when you crank it up for distortion, you can get all the compression, sustain, and wailing you could ask for, and yet--thanks to the semi-hollow all-mahogany construction, it retains a sweet, melodic tone throughout. 

Here's one for $999. I'm not selling, just passing along the listing at Reverb.com.

at5fk2obuas1nazrf3ml.jpg

Archived