Hamer Fan Club Message Center

EHX Beats Chinese Pirates

One would think the Chinese would know by now that they have to change something in cracked software to get away with stealing it. 

EHX wins in a Chinese court.

Chinese Pirates of Electro-Harmonix Software Walk the Plank!

Posted 1/17/2019

Shenzhen MooerAudio Co., Ltd., a Chinese manufacturer and marketer of electronic effects pedals, was flagrantly infringing on EHX's copyrighted software. Two of Mooer's effects pedals, an organ simulator named the "Mooergan" and an octave pedal called the "Tender Octaver" included exact copies of the compiled software contained in EHX's C9 Organ Machine and Micro POG pedals.

pirate.jpg

The infringement was so bold and blatant that Shenzhen Mooer audaciously copied the Electro-Harmonix copyright notice in the software powering the C9 and Micro POG. After becoming aware of this piracy, Electro-Harmonix retained counsel and aggressively sought recourse.

EHX President, Mike Matthews, stated: "Electro-Harmonix has successfully won battles with labor racketeers in the U.S.A. and ruthless mobsters in Russia. After almost two years of fighting, the Chinese courts have awarded Electro-Harmonix a nearly six figure judgement. Our victory is now complete and these pirates have walked the plank!"

mm-tank.jpg

I'm actually SHOCKED that the Chinese government awarded in favor of any non-China company. Having dealt with Chinese manufacturers, they're usually indifferent to IP infringement claims against them, and I've had more than one Chinese businessman express so blatantly and in no uncertain terms to me. I wonder if the current trade situation made their government less inclined to ignore legitimate claims by an American company lest it provide more ammunition against them.

Archived