Hamer Fan Club Message Center

More Newport questions (sorry...)

Travis

11 hours ago, Disturber said:

Different scale lenghts: the Newport is 24,75 and the Super PRo 25,5 inch. Totally different guitars. They sound way different. Think of the Newport as a Gretch cousin' or something. The Super Pro is like a mix of a super strat and a Les Paul Supreme. Very weird, but it works.

I know about the scLe length difference, sorry I wasn’t clear on that. 

I was inquiring more on the body size difference between an artist/studio and a Newport  is it about the same increase in body size from an Elite to a Superpro?  I only asked that because I’ve at least played both Monaco models. 

12 hours ago, Travis said:

I know about the scLe length difference, sorry I wasn’t clear on that. 

I was inquiring more on the body size difference between an artist/studio and a Newport  is it about the same increase in body size from an Elite to a Superpro?  I only asked that because I’ve at least played both Monaco models. 

Compared to the Studio the Newport feels much bigger. Having had an Elite, Supro, Studio and Newport the size increase feels about the same. So if you like a longer scale the Supro is a fine choice. I even had a Spruce Top Superpro, one of only two guitars I regret letting go of. 

On January 21, 2019 at 7:21 AM, Disturber said:

Use a silver sharpie and fill in the logo. From a few meters away no one will see the difference. 

I've done mods like swapping out to a softer Bigbsy spring, switching the "butterknife" trem arm (which didn't feel too comfortable) to a Duane Eddy arm (which feels very comfortable and substantive), switching the regular TonePros TOM with one with roller saddles (because even though the Bigsby stayed perfectly in tune, I could hear the little clinks when the wound strings moved over the bridge). And then I cosmetically changed things because the black knobs weren't very easy to grab. Knurled knobs didn't seem right, and while I wanted something the size/shape of speed knobs, I like how the chrome ones look on a Gretsch, so I found some chrome knobs like that. And then I thought, hey, the Gretsch has the little chrome toggle that matches those chrome speed knobs, so let's see how that looks. I pretty much did stuff that would make Newport purists hate me (all of it reversible, as I saved all of the original parts in the guitar case).

All of that said, I would NEVER take a Sharpie to the headstock or any other part of the guitar. It wouldn't be easily reversible and I doubt I could even do it well enough to make it look stock from any distance. Besides, I'm not interested in what people in an audience thinks. I just want to enjoy looking at it myself.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone say what is different model-wise with this Newport Pro at BCR?

My Newport Pro is similar but has a single volume knob and the selector switch closer to the tail. If there's anything I could change on mine it would be to have separate volume controls for each pickup, and the switch to be located where this one is. 

Also, I thought the Phat Cats were spec'd on the regular Newport, but the Pro has Seth L humbuckers. This one has factory Phat Cats. Is this a custom model? 

Hamer Newport Pro 2005 Natural  Very Clean 100% Flawless Operation Hamer USA Case Free Shippi https://reverb.com/item/21400231-hamer-newport-pro-2005-natural-very-clean-100-flawless-operation-hamer-usa-case-free-shippi?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

On 1/21/2019 at 9:39 AM, JohnnyB said:

image.png

This was the Hamer guitar group shot at Pesocaster's annual HFC NW BBQ and get-together in the summer of 2012. In the lower half of the arrangement, that's my red Anniversary just to the left. Immediately to the Anniversary's left is my standard Newport--hand-carved spruce archtop, handwound Phat Cat pickups, Bigsby, and dot fret markers. Hop over the blue Monaco to its left and land on my orange flame maple top Phantom Custom.

That's not me at the top of the pic; I don't do flip-flops.

I was there! That's my white Vector on top. I bought it on eBay and the seller shipped it in bubble wrap. That's it! No case, no box. Just bubble wrap with a shipping label. lol But it survived and made for a good story. Thanks to Peso for hosting such a fun get together. 

Newports are my favorite later age Hamer model. I've had four of them. The spruce tops are more lively, with a quick and snappy attack but they compress pretty quickly. I experimented with various pickups and I think they sound good with either Seth Lovers or PhatCats. I'd give PhatCats the nod as the Seths might be a touch too polite sounding with the spruce, for me.

The maple tops will have a little more body and hold out awhile longer before compressing into a smooth note. And man get ready for the air rushing out of the sound hole if you play at a loud volume! The Bigsby is cool on either one, but a matter of personal preference. The shimmer is great but slightly more hassle to restring. 

MichaelB's Birdseye Newport in the emporium looks killer. They can be had for less money but his is special. 

3 hours ago, pirateflynn said:

I was there! That's my white Vector on top. I bought it on eBay and the seller shipped it in bubble wrap. That's it! No case, no box. Just bubble wrap with a shipping label. lol But it survived and made for a good story. Thanks to Peso for hosting such a fun get together. 

Newports are my favorite later age Hamer model. I've had four of them. The spruce tops are more lively, with a quick and snappy attack but they compress pretty quickly. I experimented with various pickups and I think they sound good with either Seth Lovers or PhatCats. I'd give PhatCats the nod as the Seths might be a touch to polite sounding with the spruce, for me.

The maple tops will have a little more body and hold out awhile longer before compressing into a smooth note. And man get ready for the air rushing out of the sound hole if you play at a loud volume! The Bigsby is cool on either one, but a matter of personal preference. The shimmer is great but slightly more hassle to restring. 

MichaelB's Birdseye Newport in the emporium looks killer. They can be had for less money but his is special. 

You very kindly brought your white Vector up from L.A. to the gathering because my wife's son in Cincinnati was jonesing for a Flying Vee and we were going to fly back there for a visit. But he had his mind set on a Gibson and there was no convincing him otherwise, so I bought him a Gibson Vee for completing a music degree. As for the Hamer Vector, Jimbilly picked up the story and arranged a purchase of your Hamer Vee, and since I still had the Vee in Greater Seattle, Jim and I met up and he picked up the Hamer Vee.

My opinion of the sounds and playability of spruce top Newports equipped with Phat Cat pickups seems to match your experience exactly.

BTW, I've also had the experience of a hard-driven semihollow blowing air out of the f-hole, but in my case it was the red Anniversary in the group shot. That's another guit that compresses nicely and howls when driven hard.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:05 AM, Jakeboy said:

Here’s mine in vintage orange...I put some Rumpel’trons in her. It sounds simply, well.....VINTAGE.

36366E41-D2F2-4C88-956C-25289A886886.jpeg

I am truly digging that speaker cab!

On 1/20/2019 at 2:01 AM, Travis said:

Although I think I remember that someone said some of the Newport models had a maple center block...

Never played or heard of a Newport with a center block. That would be awsome. I am not really a big fan of a big hole under the bridge pickup, like on the Newport and super Pro. It tooke me ages to get a pickup that worked in the SuperPro, so that it didn't sound like a big amplified acoustic guitar when cranked through a JMP.

2 hours ago, Disturber said:

Never played or heard of a Newport with a center block. That would be awsome. I am not really a big fan of a big hole under the bridge pickup, like on the Newport and super Pro. It tooke me ages to get a pickup that worked in the SuperPro, so that it didn't sound like a big amplified acoustic guitar when cranked through a JMP.

Care to enlighten us Newport owners what pickup you found for your bridge? I’m using the Duncan Seth’s yet but always on the hunt for better tone!! Thanks!!!

On 4/22/2019 at 5:57 PM, rugby1970 said:

I am truly digging that speaker cab!

I thought you might. 

It currently houses an Emi Red Fang alnico. Every time I take that cab out of the house people ask about it and love the way it looks.I mean Every. Single. Time.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:28 AM, FGJ said:

I don't suppose you could post a clip of how those pups sound in there?

Sure. I’ll try to get something recorded this weekend.

oh man....the Trons are out and Rumpel singles are in....I can record a clip of the new ones. If you want to hear a rockin’ clip of the Trons, check out the song Rock and Roll Still Gets Me High On The AC Rev album on Spotify, Youtube Music....wherever. It is guitar right. 

17 hours ago, Dutchman said:

Care to enlighten us Newport owners what pickup you found for your bridge? I’m using the Duncan Seth’s yet but always on the hunt for better tone!! Thanks!!!

I use 1980's 10K Hamer Slammers by Dimarzio in my Newport. They sound great in there. Very lively and paf:ish., with a good drive when I need to engage the hounds of rawk.

If I was to try anything else then I'd go for a pair of Gibson Classic 57's. They sound great in 335's, so my guess is they would fit the Newport just right.

4 hours ago, Disturber said:

I use 1980's 10K Hamer Slammers by Dimarzio in my Newport. They sound great in there. Very lively and paf:ish., with a good drive when I need to engage the hounds of rawk.

If I was to try anything else then I'd go for a pair of Gibson Classic 57's. They sound great in 335's, so my guess is they would fit the Newport just right.

I liked the lovers in mine.  They scratched the paf itch just fine.   But the allure of p-90s have always been hard for me to ignore - especially in a hollow body.  Now the 'tron style pups are of interest. At some point, I'll need to get another newport.

On April 22, 2019 at 6:46 AM, soli'd said:

Can anyone say what is different model-wise with this Newport Pro at BCR?

My Newport Pro is similar but has a single volume knob and the selector switch closer to the tail. If there's anything I could change on mine it would be to have separate volume controls for each pickup, and the switch to be located where this one is. 

Also, I thought the Phat Cats were spec'd on the regular Newport, but the Pro has Seth L humbuckers. This one has factory Phat Cats. Is this a custom model? 

Hamer Newport Pro 2005 Natural  Very Clean 100% Flawless Operation Hamer USA Case Free Shippi https://reverb.com/item/21400231-hamer-newport-pro-2005-natural-very-clean-100-flawless-operation-hamer-usa-case-free-shippi?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

Looks like a standard, not a pro, to me. Then again, something's up with that extra knob unless someone put another knob and drilled a new hole for the toggle. Ya never know. 

Speaking of the toggle, how many people wish the toggle had been placed near the upper horn, like on a Gibson or Gretsch? I think it would have been way easier to reach there. 

Like FGJ I also went with a Reverend soft spring on my Newport Bigsby....made the bar use 100% better. Easier and smoother. The butter knife bar feels fine to me but now I am curious about the Duane Eddy arm. Need to Google. Since Rumpel sent me that HB sized 90 for the Newport, I haven’t played another guitar. Sounds so sweet. 

9 hours ago, FGJ said:

Looks like a standard, not a pro, to me. Then again, something's up with that extra knob unless someone put another knob and drilled a new hole for the toggle. Ya never know. 

Speaking of the toggle, how many people wish the toggle had been placed near the upper horn, like on a Gibson or Gretsch? I think it would have been way easier to reach there. 

If it were a standard, wouldn't it have a bigsby, or were there standards with a stop tail? As for the switch location, i do like the upper bout location like a Les Paul, but the location just under the controls seems ideal to me, to the point of me considering moving the tone knob to the original switch hole, adding a second pot for the bridge pickup and drilling the top on mine like this one.

If there were a rear cavity cover on mine I'd likely have done it already. 🤔

On 1/19/2019 at 8:01 PM, Travis said:

Although I think I remember that someone said some of the Newport models had a maple center block...

On 4/24/2019 at 7:19 AM, Disturber said:

Most Newports have the chambering you see in the pic cmatthes posted earlier in the thread. The Newport 90 and triple-Filtertron Newports have a solid mahogany block running all the way down the middle. Maybe some other one-off Newports, too.

Archived