Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Another Tele Saved!

bubs_42

I've kinda just can't stop sometimes. What better to hone some skills thought by putting humpty dumpty's back together again. 

Introducing the Lott Tele. 

What to do?

5yBJJLp.jpg

Whats this?

XFCPgjY.jpg

Maybe this?

NXmJ7kd.jpg

This is why men buy tools. 

fi3QX1p.jpg

This is why some people shouldn't have tools. Lucky I got 98% of a chop job out. A former owner chipped the paint and just a slight nick in the corner didn't clean up. 

FYh48Ss.jpg

I decided to route the original guard for a strat middle pickup. 

48GTdrB.jpg

I think it turned out great! I know it sounds damn good and its itched the strat bug. 

lAc9y5D.jpg

I did have to leave one little reminder from the previous owner. 

TVMQJyI.jpg

But you can't get a better guard "aged" to match a guitar thats lived with the pickup since birth. 

99U514U.jpg

I wired the three way switch and put the middle and neck pups on their own selector mini switch. So I can B/BM/M or B/BN/N. My next project just arrived Friday and routing it open for the neck at this point I think i'm going to go with a Humbucker with a series/split/parallel switch. 

14 hours ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

Hot rails in the bridge and Esquire it :)

A rail pickup will never dawn another one of my guitars. I wanted to like them but I don't like the tone they produce. The Hot Area T manages to give me something between a Tele and a P90 that I love. The 67 in the middle is bright enough to make that second postion quack but not ice picky when its by itself. I'm always torn if I should put strat singles in the neck, but the sound I get when the bridge and neck are together out way that just having the neck sound that I wouldn't use as much as the middle position. 

I must be one of the few guitarists in the world who actually really like a Tele neck pickup....Rumpelstiltskin sound great.I’ve heard some others that did not...my AmStd Fender bridge pickup was terrible but the neck was awesome. I like ‘em every bit as much as a Strat neck pickup...maybe more....

Anyway, great work Bubs...I have found that a Nashville Tele set up is extremely versatile and the positions related to the middle pickup sound like...well...a Strat. 

I had one with a PAF in the neck and that just was over the top versatile...and if you split the coils to use with the middle pickup, it STILL sounds just like a Strat (at least mine did) and you Get bucker tones and Tele tones.

I have a Seymour STK3 Bridge, I may order a PGjr to go in the neck. We may try that combination out, but we may not either. I have gotten two requests to build offset guitars, but I know as soon as I give them the price they will back off. I've been lucky enough to have parts, but doing a build out from scratch is good money, you can just buy an offset or telecaster and swap pickups. 

Teles are a great mod platform that you can mutate into almost anything with a screwdriver and a chisel lol.  I have a quilt-topped alder Tele body with a Clapton profile neck and GFS pickups that were kind of 'meh' so it sat for a couple of years.  I found a Duncan quarter-pounder bridge pickup in my parts pile, ordered up the matching neck pickup. and now it's a daily player along with my DGT.  My favorite tele is still a pine-body with a huge V neck and Duncan Broadcasters, but the quilt top is pretty close just a different flavor (like Jefferson's vs Woodford lol).

21 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

@stonge i'd love to do an ash tele with a big maple neck but I know if won't get played. I am doing one more tele, but I have not decided on the pickup options yet, so it will sit until something comes to me. 

6B3Ky2D.jpg

You had me at ash tele and big maple neck...

23 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

@BubbaVO this one is Alder and will get a 60's neck. I'm thinking Mini Bucker (series/parallel) in the neck but staying with the nashville setup, Aged Hardware, Black Guard. Hum, maybe even two mini and a T Style Bridge. 

That sounds fun too.

All this Tele/T-51 talk has me feeling like I'm missing out.  A good Tele will definitely cover my bases. 

I can't help but wonder if a non-floating Johnny Smith style pup would sound good in the neck position. 

Regardless, you're doing good work by saving that Tele.

I picked up a Squire Classic 50's tele with Glendale saddles and a set of Fishman Fluence Gristletones - those pickups are really nice and versatile. There's a Fender 52 Hot Rod tele in parts in the basement with a Firebird pickup in the neck and a traditional single in the bridge (I could never get the noise out of that one - sounds like a blizzard in the Rockies with any gain - so it'll sit until I decide to try again or put it together to sell). 

Allparts has a nice chunky neck that gets good reviews on the TDPRI; if I wanted out of the box awesome I'd just spec out a new Musikraft blackguard neck though. Lots of choices lol.

Bubs...scratching that Strat itch?  C'mon...do THIS!!

On 1/28/2019 at 1:05 PM, BubbaVO said:

You had me at ash tele and big maple neck...

I slapped together a killer ash Tele/Esquire with a big assed, 1" profile neck.  It's a monstah.  Stike FTW on that finish!

62EsquireTributedetail (1).jpg

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Bubs...scratching that Strat itch?  C'mon...do THIS!!

I slapped together a killer ash Tele/Esquire with a big assed, 1" profile neck.  It's a monstah.  Stike FTW on that finish!

62EsquireTributedetail (1).jpg

Now you're talking!

I built a dual HB Tele/Strat mutt years ago. 1 piece mahogany slab tele style body with a belly cut. Strat fixed bridge with a warmoth boat neck strat headstock figured maple neck. 

Tung Oiled the body. Was a solid sounding guitar but a fun build. You may have inspired me to do another one in the near future...

1 hour ago, jtees4 said:

Very cool....I am a Tele and SG guy thru and thru these days.

Funny that you say that, they both sound great and I would even toss in the Hamer Sunburst into that group. If you don't own and old one, I would suggest getting one. 

25 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Funny that you say that, they both sound great and I would even toss in the Hamer Sunburst into that group. If you don't own and old one, I would suggest getting one. 

I would love to own another Hamer, I gave them up years ago when my back got bad and I coukld hardly play any guitar...in fact I bought a 4.5lb Parker Fly which was the only one I could play for awhile. Now I can deal with around 7 pounds....which is what my Tele is. I am aware of the Hamer Artist guitars, I would love to get a beautiful Hamer Artist Custom (flame top), I just can't justify the $$ anymore, I barely play anymore and don't play out anymore either (old guy alert). This one had a nice flame top, my '96 Hamer FM Special. I also had a Studio. Great guitars....I always said...the Hamer USA guitars were the only guitars that needed no upgrading. 

bOoAagy.jpg

Archived