Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Proper 'burst finishes... Even Gibson can do them when it wants

Biz Prof

My Gibson Les Paul "Bursts"...

3 Amigos.jpg

Just now, Steve Haynie said:

It all depends on the guitar, but most of the time my preference is a three tone burst that goes yellow -> red -> redder. 

Can't argue with that.

If there is anything I've noticed about "burst" colors is that there's someone for just about every type of burst, even the "tobacco" sunburst with a quick fade from black to yellow, with the "teardrop" shape yellow portion.

I know what I like, and I like this:

H150CMa.jpg.jpg

I also like this, from a 1960 Burst that Dave's guitar had a while back:

LPburst.jpg

I also like this very subtle "faded" "Vintage SunBurst" finish:

h158a.jpg

And also, this:

535b.jpg

2 hours ago, Armitage said:

My fav Burst, my R9

20161126_151535.jpg

My R9 is the Center one.. Axcess on the Left and Standard on the Right....

3 Amigos.jpg

On 1/21/2019 at 11:02 AM, Camstone said:

This may be a personal preference issue. I think I prefer the teardrop burst shape rather than having the shading follow the upper bout.

Here's a couple of pics of actual original 1960 "Bursts" that are down at Emerald City Guitars for sale right now. They look to be teardrop shaped shading and I think they look awesome and correct. The first one is $325K and the second in $195K.

1960GibsonLesPaulStandardBurstJohnnyFever-1-1.jpg

1960GibsonLesPaulStandardBurst-1.jpg

That first one is perfect, but WTF... I'll take them both!

Kizanski's #0099 is perfect in just about every measurable way. Makes me wonder if that's Pirro's work or if Mike sprayed that one himself. Either way, that's top-shelf work.

Otherwise, the Baker than cmatthes posted and Armitage's R9 are damn-near-perfect. While the spray pattern is a traditional teardrop, the rims are not shaded totally opaque and the transitions are gradual/subtle. In hindsight, my example in the original post is not the best, as some here likened it to the Sears catalog knock-offs from the '70s. The analogy works; I can see why that doesn't look good to most players.

In recent years, however, Gibson has occasionally sprayed some rimburst finishes that, to my eye, have much more in common with the decades-faded real-deal 'bursts from '58, '59, and '60 (see below) than the over-the-top "clownburst" and "turdburst" finishes that we still see on some USA models. On these latter finishes, the color transition is stark and the entire outer part of the teardrop is obscured by solid color with no underlying grain visible. To each his, own, it seems....and that's fine.

df707a40-f924-4b5a-aa5d-1a589e950ad0-jpe

14 hours ago, kizanski said:

My idea of "perfect."

image110.jpg

He's not wrong, you know...

2 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Notice that the dark edge does not obscure the flame.

Again, he gives you what you ask for.
I said I wanted dark edges, but not so dark that I couldn't still see the flame.

And here we are.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:51 AM, kizanski said:

My idea of "perfect."

image110.jpg

Hard to want ANYTHING to be different there.

In my case (forthcoming) it is not exactly the typical image of a 'burst. But Mike was right on with the suggestion to add just the HINT of a darker edge.

shishkov32.jpeg

shishkov33.jpg

So many amazing bursts in this post. Looking at all of these make me feel like my pants are going to, well...  burst. 

My understanding is that was for some period in 1973 only.   I have also been told that it was for 1972 only.  But mine is a 1973 and are original to the guitar (at least that's what the precious owner told me).  Maybe someone else knows the full story about embossed mini-buckers.

Archived