Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ozzy with Jake E. Lee —AWESOME!!!

zorrow

6 minutes ago, Toadroller said:

I saw Ozzy with Jake in, oh, 86, as a freshman in Dayton. Three significant memories:

1. The Ozzy crowd was a bit, um, leather and Harley Davidson to this innocent Toadroller at age 18.
  2. Jake was great until I noticed the young ladies lifting their shirts showing him their fleshier bits.  From then on, I watched the side show. 
  3. We hadn’t planned a ride home but met up with a buddy of a friend.  He was drunk as a skunk, complete with 16 ouncer in hand bombing through I75 at, oh, 80mph, telling what stories he would as I reached from the back seat, occasionally grabbing the wheel to keep us alive.  Dumb kids.

I remember rides  home from the Philly Spectrum  & Wicomico Civic Center like that in the late 70s/early 80s.. those were the days!

Dumbass kids indeed....

Jake used to come in to the record store where I worked in Marina Del Rey, CA, in the late 80s. He seemed like a cool guy and was always willing to have a guitar-nerd conversation with me. At one point he said he was working on a new project called Badlands, but by the time the album came out I was working at a different store and never saw him again.

And THAT's my Jake E. Lee story. Exciting, isn't it? 😏

18 minutes ago, Dana_V said:

Jake used to come in to the record store where I worked in Marina Del Rey, CA, in the late 80s. He seemed like a cool guy and was always willing to have a guitar-nerd conversation with me. At one point he said he was working on a new project called Badlands, but by the album came out I was working at a different store and never saw him again.

And THAT's my Jake E. Lee story. Exciting, isn't it? 😏

Very exciting, indeed! 👍

On 1/22/2019 at 5:12 AM, Disturber said:

Blizzard of Oz, Diary of a Madman and Bark at the Moon are Ozzy's best albums in my book. Bad for Jake's Ozzy history is the fact that The Ultimate Sin is such a lousy album.

BLASPHEMER!!!! I have to disagree hard on this one. I think it’s one of his best. Maybe it’s because this was the album that got me into Ozzy in the first place and first time I saw him on tour. But I can listen to that album over and over and over. 

Jake recently said on Eddie Trunk’s show that he really wants a chance to re-master the album with Ozzy, as he said the way it was done (the producer was brought in by Ozzy to make it more commercial, apparently) loses a lot of the guitar work, etc. 

But, throw the Killer of Giants riff at me any day. (OK, Thank God for the Bomb does suck. I’ll give you that one.)

7 hours ago, devrock said:

BLASPHEMER!!!! I have to disagree hard on this one. I think it’s one of his best. Maybe it’s because this was the album that got me into Ozzy in the first place and first time I saw him on tour. But I can listen to that album over and over and over. 

Jake recently said on Eddie Trunk’s show that he really wants a chance to re-master the album with Ozzy, as he said the way it was done (the producer was brought in by Ozzy to make it more commercial, apparently) loses a lot of the guitar work, etc. 

But, throw the Killer of Giants riff at me any day. (OK, Thank God for the Bomb does suck. I’ll give you that one.)

My 5 cents....:

The Ultimate sin - is a good track, 2nd best on the album,

Secret loser - is a dead end, 

Never know why - terrible chorus "you never know why we rock". Yes we do, shut up. The tracks just goes no where, but the skip button,

Thank god for the bomb - okay verses, especially the first one. But the chorus is a train wreck,

Never - this is good. Could be a classic Ozzy track. The guitar riff is pure Randy (as Dave mentions above). The chorus comes in after nearly 2 minutes. Bold. It's a heavy chorus, well composed and arranged,

Lightning strikes - Cool 80's nwobh type of riff. Good verses. But the chorus.... "I wont stop rockin' all night, rockin' all night, until the lightning strikes again..." Wtf, who wrote that? Lame. This song could have been a classic, it turned out a turd,

Killer of giants - cool 80's metal intro. My fists does the horn sign. Then it just doesn't happen. Where is the chorus, it just drags on - 5,42 minutes of this dread. Skip button rules again,

Fool like you - yeah, yeah!! Killer intro, my feet are tapping the floor. Horn signs again, in the air. Both fists. Good middle eight. But a lot of interplay where I would have taken the song straight to the next verse. It is a 5,19 min song. Could have shortened it by a minute easily. I blame the producer. But, still one of the better songs on the album.

Shot in the Dark - best song on the album. Love it. This track is way above the rest on this album. I'ts a ten out of ten Ozzy song. Just pure evil and great.

So, two really good song, two that is okay. The rest... meeh. They just don't feel finished. They should have worked on them a lot longer.

I like the first two Ozzy albums, because to me they still sound like "Classic Hard Rock" to me and not metal. Brad Grillis played fantastic and I liked his sound better than RR's. With Jake E. Lee it started to sound more like typical LA metal of the 80's. But I was a fan of Carmine Appice who played with Ozzy for a short time, and Ozzy still had Bob Daisley and Don Airey in the band so I enjoyed that time too. But after that I haven't followed Osbourne's music.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:30 PM, devrock said:

Yeah, Ron Nevison I think produced that.  I remember another interview Jake did and he said he wanted different tones and textures and guitars depending on the song, and he cited Def Leppard (Pyromania at the time I think) as an example of that.  He said Nevison looked at him and said, "You want to sound like Def Leppard?" so he realized it was a lost cause at that point. 

Killer of Giants and Shot in the Dark are really cool tunes in my book. 

On 1/22/2019 at 8:52 AM, Jeff R said:

Bernie Torme didn't count either. Who remembers him? He was between RR and BG for like one month, for just a few shows. I spoke to him on the phone once, pre-Internet and when you had to dial like a dozen digits to call across the pond. Bernie said the gig was cool but he was a temp in his own mind going in and never let it be more than that. Plus the crowd response was horrible (as I'd guess you'd guess), flipping him off, cussing him, even throwing shit at him, and he had an unrelated music project back in England for which he was very excited.

Ozzy-Osbourne-and-Bernie-Torme-msg-1982.

I saw Jake on tour w/ Ozzy on BATM (w/ Motley Crue opening) and again at the Texas Jam. Great shows. Both those albums were pretty forgettable IMHO.

Has anyone heard Bernie Torme w. Ozzy? IIRC he played w/ Gillian? I have heard a tiny bit of that, not sure if it was Bernie, but it seemed like generic pentatonic late 70s hard rock. I can't imagine trying to learn all of RR's blazing harmonic minor and modal parts by ear in a very short time (remember this was way before youtube) and then get thrust into arenas in front of hostile RR fans, yikes.

BTW, it’s on mighty YouTube —found it a couple of days ago:

Archived