Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Just in time for the Jimmy Page Tele, the Jimmy Page Signature amp!

So, people at TGP were all talking about this, which of course resurrected the giant "which model supro did jimmy really play" thread.  I know that some say it was a Coronado from 59 that had the 2x10 baffle replaced with a 1x12 baffle, had mods done to it, etc. Supro released their "Black Magick" tribute a while back, but now, there's going to be an official release of

THE SUNDRAGON

50 piece limited run.

https://www.sundragonamp.com

Maybe now he can fight back against Robbie Williams.

JP_SunDragon_C.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

So is it a Line 6 emulator w one sound?? Didn’t he use a Supro??

Yeah, he used some kind of Supro on the first Led Zeppelin album, and it was originally a 2x10, but he modified it go be a 1x12. The main thing/question is what exact Supro amp was it.

We may never know, or maybe we will, as he's decided to finally let "the secret out" somehow.  I do wonder why he waited until now to do the amp and the Telecaster. Maybe Gibson signed him to some exclusivity deal?

10 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Does anyone recall hearing someone say they want to get Jimmy Page's tone?  A lot of people wished they could play like Jimmy Page, but no one wanted his sound. 

I do. Love that bright, sharp but not ice picky, bluesy sound. I can get it with one of my Sunbursts in to my JTM50. Makes my smile so wide everytime that my cheeks hurt.

1. How many amps company's can Mitch Colby run, start or be a part of? 2. If I add another amp to the line up it will be a Supro Black Magick Reverb. Version one was great, but with the added master volume and reverb that nailed it for me. The only question is Combo or Head and Cab?

Some people had issues, seemed mostly tube related. The Black Magick is tempting, especially with the reverb and master volume control. I wonder how dirty it can get without blowing up the house. I've got a carvin vintage 16, which you can lower to "only" 5 watts. It's still loud as hell if I crank it.

22 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Does anyone recall hearing someone say they want to get Jimmy Page's tone?  A lot of people wished they could play like Jimmy Page, but no one wanted his sound. 

Verily, verily. While I found Page's songcraft to be other-worldly and marvelous, I still cannot fathom how he coaxed such wet-fart tones out of otherwise solid gear. Whether he actually ran that Tele through a Supro or Vox or Marshall (or even that godawful Ric thing, for Pete's sake), any of the combos should have produced a rather muscular tone. It had to be the mic placement, the mics themselves, or the mix at console (or a combination of all three). Bottom line is that many of his guitar tones sounded weak and flaccid compared to many of his contemporaries.

Yeah. There are some songs that I just go "meh" to the sound of. Great songs, but not sure what he was doing. Especially when you compare it to the types of sounds Billy Gibbons was getting using somewhat similar gear.  My guess is that's just the type of sound he liked? I was never a fan of the direct to board sound from Black Dog.

Then of course there's the sound he got for the solo on Stairway, which was the Telecaster. One of the nicest tele lead sounds I've heard.

Has anyone listened to the 2014 remasters that were done with Page? I wonder if they are any different.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:38 PM, Steve Haynie said:

The treble boosted tone on LZII blew me away. Especially on the Heartbreaker intro.I have always wanted that tone.  Vox Series 7 amps. Hybrids. The Beatles and Stones used them to great effect in the 60s too. Supposedly the Electric Majik Series 7 pedal nails it....I’ll try one someday.

Page had so many tones and sounds. In the studio he didn’t have a signature tone....it changed every album. Lots of people do chase and emulate his live sound...Catlinbread’s RAH pedal bears homage to that....I would also love to nail his LZ1 tone and sometimes with my Tele type and the right amp & pedal combo I have....

...and I love his Strat tone on In The Evening....and the Tele On All My Love....he has so very many different tones and sounds. I think that is what kept him interesting for me in the 70s....and that has always inspired me to chase new and different tones of my own. 

32 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

...and I love his Strat tone on In The Evening....and the Tele On All My Love....he has so very many different tones and sounds. I think that is what kept him interesting for me in the 70s....and that has always inspired me to chase new and different tones of my own. 

This is one of the reasons that I like Tony Iommi and Billy Gibbons so much. They both had so many tones. Some I don't really like, but I love that they were able to be so versatile, and it's clear that the tone they got was the one they wanted. Then there's Brian May, who takes that to the extreme, but I somehow LOVE all of his tones.

Now I want to get a Ring Modulator and start learning houses of the holy. Dangit.

48 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

The treble boosted tone on LZII blew me away. Especially on the Heartbreaker intro.I have always wanted that tone.  Vox Series 7 amps. Hybrids. The Beatles and Stones used them to great effect in the 60s too. Supposedly the Electric Majik Series 7 pedal nails it....I’ll try one someday.

Page had so many tones and sounds. In the studio he didn’t have a signature tone....it changed every album. Lots of people do chase and emulate his live sound...Catlinbread’s RAH pedal bears homage to that....I would also love to nail his LZ1 tone and sometimes with my Tele type and the right amp & pedal combo I have....

This - my understanding of Page's 'sound' was that he had a near-endless grab bag of stringed instruments, amps, and different recording environments/techniques that chasing his tone was a waste of time.  The recordings produced were an amalgamation of sounds.  Some songs had ten different/unique guitar track dubs, layered on-top of each other in the final mix.  Which particular instrument-track 'tone' are you trying to chase?  WHY?  Page can't realistically tell anyone what amp/guitar he used, and when....the decades, and the chronic alcoholism, have erased those details from history.  This 'promotion' is a cash-grab.

It may be a cash grab but the “mystery” behind which Supro has never ended, until now. They will sell as many as they make. Not to me.  Original Supro Coronados will explode in value...everyone thought it was the Thunderbolt model. 

You are quite correct...Page’s contributions were more than a guitarist simply plugging in and playing....he was a studio magician and producer extraordinaire. He understood mic placement. Compression. Eq ing your tone to better complement the song.  Layering....adding a 12 string for the turnaround only, or the chorus only.

He has a catalog of “sounds”. I think that is cool.

Just an FYI: apparently, that guitar in the picture is not a Fender reissue or re-creation. It's the REAL dragon Telecaster, which Page had restored. No word on whether this was a recent restoration, or from long ago, but that's THE one.

16 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Just an FYI: apparently, that guitar in the picture is not a Fender reissue or re-creation. It's the REAL dragon Telecaster, which Page had restored. No word on whether this was a recent restoration, or from long ago, but that's THE one.

Really? Very cool. Page has stated that someone took the Dragon Tele and repainted it...ruined it he said. He then pulled the neck and put in on the brown body of the All My Love/Firm Tele. He did say he still had the body so that is cool that he restored it. That is his Yardbirds guitar. Very iconic.

1 minute ago, Jakeboy said:

Really? Very cool. Page has stated that someone took the Dragon Tele and repainted it...ruined it he said. He then pulled the neck and put in on the brown body of the All My Love/Firm Tele. He did say he still had the body so that is cool that he restored it. That is his Yardbirds guitar. Very iconic.

Yep! There's more on it here : http://ledzepnews.com/2019/01/24/jimmy-page-quietly-revealed-his-restored-original-dragon-telecaster-for-the-first-time-in-50-years/

Archived